Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 12:31 PM

716 posts, read 2,160,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheThrillIsGone View Post
You dont have to come in but you will use PTO if you stay at home.
Now if you go in and the company officially decides to shut down early or go home, then you dont use any PTO. But if if you never went and the company officially closes early you are still docked the whole day.
I work from home too, but for those at my company that don't, the above policy is exactly like ours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diertac View Post
You say you're not sure if your WFH status will continue until retirement, and maybe not...

But just an anecdote here, I was highly encouraged to move into a "flexible" work arrangement by my employer this month. They've been doing it across the board to save money, improve productivity and employee satisfaction. And while I won't divulge where I work, I will say that we aren't known for being the most progressive organization out there.

My point being - if *I* am being encouraged to work from home now, I foresee a time when WFH until retirement *will* be viable for certain jobs and people.
From your mouth to God's ears, my friend! I've been working from home for close to 6 years... I don't know if I could go back to an office full time again!!!

Honestly, I do think a lot of companies are seeing the benefits in this for themselves and their employees. Not everyone can be a remote worker, but many, many positions can. That said, not everyone would be a GOOD remote worker. It definitely takes discipline. But not everyone is a good employee in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 01:15 PM

564 posts, read 1,456,023 times
My company treats it as a no penalty to the employee. We get paid like it was a holiday. (That is for full time only.)

Old 01-19-2011, 03:35 PM

999 posts, read 4,656,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheThrillIsGone View Post
You dont have to come in but you will use PTO if you stay at home.
Now if you go in and the company officially decides to shut down early or go home, then you dont use any PTO. But if if you never went and the company officially closes early you are still docked the whole day.
This is the policy where my husband works as well.....though you can work at home if you have that capability.

Old 01-19-2011, 04:39 PM

972 posts, read 2,446,131 times
My DH company is the same as most listed here. If the office is open, and you stay home, then you take a vacation or personal day. After one day stuck at home with us, he was begging his boss, with a car better suited to the conditions, to come get him.

I get paid only when I am working with students. So, even if I go in on the optional teacher work days, I don't get paid. On the other hand, I do get caught up on things, which is a huge plus.

Old 01-20-2011, 06:11 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,499,566 times
DH has no penalty. He can do some things from home those days, but he works on projects, so the project still needs to be done. If you can't go in, you have to get it done somehow....hence, no need for a vacation day....you WILL make it up somehow!

If I were working in the schools I would have to make it up on a snow make up day, although when I worked in CA there were no days available for make up (year round school due to overcrowding and so schools were always full and nowhere to put kids for make up days).....we got off a full week for riots and two full weeks for the earthquake! We were paid anyway.

Dawn

Old 01-20-2011, 06:46 AM

2,028 posts, read 5,434,412 times
If office is closed you're allowed to work from home but have to take 4 hrs PTO, and that's in a job with projects and timelines. Different departments within the same organisation have different policies eg work from home and no deduction from PTO.

Old 01-20-2011, 06:50 AM

1,076 posts, read 2,371,885 times
Even being on salary, my company docked my pay for the day missed. I am relatively new, and even though im passed the probationary period, I had not acrued personal days until the end of this quarter. When my daughters school was off on Martin Luther King Jr's birthday, I had to find a sitter to avoid missing another day pay, even though i had requested it off. I definitely think my position could be done from home, but I'll wait to suggest that one
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: