Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2007, 09:08 AM

550 posts, read 1,808,870 times

Advertisements

OK, an odd question, but my curiosity and nose is driving me crazy.

What's the source/smell around exit 16/18 on I-77. Every day I pass by there and smell something that is similar to baby powder. It's overwhelming, even with my windows closed.

Anyone know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2007, 09:30 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,428,999 times
I've not noticed it and I'm up that way often. I miss the smell from the Merita Bakery off of I-85.

Old 07-18-2007, 09:33 AM

550 posts, read 1,808,870 times
I'd say it's there 3 out of 5 days...even on weekends. There must be a factory or something around there. It's between 16 and 18...there is an office park off to the west.

Old 07-18-2007, 12:11 PM

1,852 posts, read 5,220,953 times
I heard it was a chemical that the Bud plant uses, but I noticed it as wel.. it's not too bad.

Old 07-18-2007, 12:31 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
It the Sweet smell of the Queen City.
This on the north, Merita Bread on the West Side and Lance cookies and crackers on the southside LOL

The bud plant is over closer to statesville rd hwy 21 I been contiplating this smell for years LOL.
I have done wire installations at beer processing places and they either smell like wheat or burnt green beans on bottom of a pan.

I got it narrowed down it on the right side of the south bound lane just before you reach the exit 16 sunset exit sign.

Someone needs to setup a video camera there because there is going to be a line of cars with people heads out of the window.

I always get a good whiff of it even with the air conditioner on and window up.

I have been determine to find the source of the sweet smell of charlotte.
I have it figure it coming from one of the complexes off that side road, Reames Road (which is a great shortcut into huntersville if traffic backs up (WAIT I shouldnt share my secret) lol just kidding

I have it narrowed down to between the Denny's and the Masonite complex but it isnt Masonite because furniture finish smells like finger nail polish.

I use to just forget about it but now it killing me to know one of Charlotte's many mysteries

I drove by today for the great hunt lol and it wasnt there.. urrgh
That what makes it hard to find the source it not always there.

To me it smells like talc but very sweet smelling talc.

Old 07-18-2007, 01:45 PM

462 posts, read 1,843,841 times
I too have noticed this and have smelled it at all hours whether it's 12 pm or 3 am, there is also a spot on 485 where it always smells like leather. Reminds me of a brand new baseball mitt. Next time I am down that way I will take note what exit it is that I smell it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte