U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 08:15 AM

22,974 posts, read 62,432,610 times

Advertisements

Charlotte is set to get a professional lacrosse team in 2012. The team will be one of two new franchises in the Major League Lacrosse circuit. Former Charlotte Bobcats marketing executive Jim McPhilliamy led the effort to get the franchise.

read more Charlotte to get professional lacrosse team (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/01/24/2005752/charlotte-getting-a-pro-lacrosse.html - broken link)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 08:24 AM

385 posts, read 838,018 times
This great news! A little wierd,but great. Just hope we can support it.

Old 01-25-2011, 08:53 AM

1,865 posts, read 5,081,328 times
YEP!! Heard about this last week from my son. It's a great idea! LAX is growing in this area. It was only last year that the state of NC recognized it as a sport. Until then, it was only a club sport here. It's a great sport, lots of colleges have LAX teams & there's scholarship money to be had that goes unused every year. DS played for the Mooresville HS team for 3 yrs, from it's inception & loved it.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:08 AM

50 posts, read 119,097 times
As a proud Providence HS LAX Mom - we are excited about this news! Lacrosse is growing by leaps and bounds in this area.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:11 AM

4,900 posts, read 3,112,407 times
Wow...I am a sports fan and didnt even know that there was a professional lacrosse league.

Great news!

Old 01-25-2011, 09:23 AM

3,115 posts, read 6,703,238 times
I'm surprised at this. The other locations make sense, as lacrosse has been played in the North and Midwest for decades. I didn't know there were even HS teams in the Charlotte area. I hope this town can support another sports team.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:04 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,367,446 times
This is awesome news! I've been meaning to take my wife to a lacrosse game before we moved. They are a lot of fun. I've had the opportunity to see one of the greatest MLL players to ever play the game (John Tavares) on several occasions, including when he broke the record for most career goals. You will enjoy yourself immensely if you do choose to embrace it!

Old 01-25-2011, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
I'm surprised at this. The other locations make sense, as lacrosse has been played in the North and Midwest for decades. I didn't know there were even HS teams in the Charlotte area. I hope this town can support another sports team.
There's only been club teams, either in the high schools or an area, up until last year when the state of NC recognized LAX as a sport. Schools started to have teams teams last year, but it depends on if they had the funds or not & they also need a faculty member to be the moderator/coach. Last year, Mooresville HS was allowed to use the facilities only for practice & the graduating seniors got a school letter (don't know about the other students, only the seniors because my son got one). Don't know where they will stand this year.

The ML LAX season will run from May to August with 14 games to be played in Memorial Stadium. There's a Facebook page about it with a lively discussion going on about what to name the team.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:24 PM

385 posts, read 838,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BxRosie View Post
There's only been club teams, either in the high schools or an area, up until last year when the state of NC recognized LAX as a sport. Schools started to have teams teams last year, but it depends on if they had the funds or not & they also need a faculty member to be the moderator/coach. Last year, Mooresville HS was allowed to use the facilities only for practice & the graduating seniors got a school letter (don't know about the other students, only the seniors because my son got one). Don't know where they will stand this year.

The ML LAX season will run from May to August with 14 games to be played in Memorial Stadium. There's a Facebook page about it with a lively discussion going on about what to name the team.
Actually Country Day has played for a number of years. Chapel Hill High School and a few other schools around the Triangle have played for over 20 years. I remember when we (being a prep school in Central PA) lost to them one year bcak in the eraly 90s. It was something like App State beating Michigan.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmetto75 View Post
Actually Country Day has played for a number of years. Chapel Hill High School and a few other schools around the Triangle have played for over 20 years. I remember when we (being a prep school in Central PA) lost to them one year bcak in the eraly 90s. It was something like App State beating Michigan.
Really, as a school-sanctioned sport? Down here, we were told it was only recognized as a school-sanctioned sport by NC last year at the high school level. All the schools in this area played as club teams.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>