Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 10:44 AM

33 posts, read 54,173 times

Advertisements

Might be a good read for those people that are thinking about moving to Charlotte without any jobs lined up.

"Feeble job growth pushes up NC unemployment rate"

Feeble job growth pushes up N.C. unemployment rate - CharlotteObserver.com (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/01/25/2006620/feeble-job-growth-pushes-up-nc.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 02:31 PM

17 posts, read 26,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azhousing View Post
Might be a good read for those people that are thinking about moving to Charlotte without any jobs lined up.

"Feeble job growth pushes up NC unemployment rate"

Feeble job growth pushes up N.C. unemployment rate - CharlotteObserver.com (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/01/25/2006620/feeble-job-growth-pushes-up-nc.html - broken link)
Its only going to get much worse.

Old 02-15-2011, 02:33 PM

689 posts, read 1,656,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collapse7c View Post
Its only going to get much worse.
Wow. You are determined to spread doom and gloom, aren't you????

Old 02-15-2011, 02:43 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawks91 View Post
Wow. You are determined to spread doom and gloom, aren't you????
It is not a matter of spreading doom and gloom, Jayhawks. It is called reality.

One can always HOPE that things are gonna change but the reality is . . . Charlotte is not gonna suddenly come up with 75K full time jobs in the next year. Or even 2 years. Or even 3 years.

Unemployment compensation is gonna run out. Never in this country's history have we continued to extend UE this long . . . state budgets are bankrupt. There will be an end to those checks.

Then what happens? People need to get real about that and plan for it. Hoping a job magically shows up next month is not planning.

Old 02-15-2011, 02:46 PM

689 posts, read 1,656,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
It is not a matter of spreading doom and gloom, Jayhawks. It is called reality..
Well I AM one of those unemployed people and if I listen to many on here, I will never get out of bed. I have to have some faith that it will get better.

I am watching networking groups get smaller and hearing of people landing jobs. I will focus on that.

Old 02-15-2011, 02:50 PM

569 posts, read 1,409,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
It is not a matter of spreading doom and gloom, Jayhawks. It is called reality.

One can always HOPE that things are gonna change but the reality is . . . Charlotte is not gonna suddenly come up with 75K full time jobs in the next year. Or even 2 years. Or even 3 years.

Unemployment compensation is gonna run out. Never in this country's history have we continued to extend UE this long . . . state budgets are bankrupt. There will be an end to those checks.

Then what happens? People need to get real about that and plan for it. Hoping a job magically shows up next month is not planning.

Exactly Ani! I hate to be Debbie Downer here but there is not much out there in jobs right now. After 2.5 years of being unemployed my wife finally landed a full time temp position paying 35% less than her previous salary with no benefits of course. She is still looking for real work but there is nothing around. In the meantime instead of banking on her getting a good job again we are slashing the budget and figuring out a way to lower our expenses. I figure if she can't get a job because there is nothing out there than this is out of her control. We can however figure out how to live on less in the meantime.

Old 02-15-2011, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawks91 View Post
Well I AM one of those unemployed people and if I listen to many on here, I will never get out of bed. I have to have some faith that it will get better.

I am watching networking groups get smaller and hearing of people landing jobs. I will focus on that.
Well. We all have to handle things the way we feel is best.

My hubby and I both have been out of work at various times in our lives.

Although we didn't WANT to move, we were open to that possibility . . . and move we did. That is all I am saying. Sometimes you have to consider that the conditions may not be right any time soon to land employment in your field - in the location where you are at that moment.

The reality is . . . you keep searching, daily - make finding a job your job - but don't limit your search to Charlotte, NC. If you find a job here, then GREAT! If you don't, maybe you will find one in another city/state.

Old 02-15-2011, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Native 1 View Post
Exactly Ani! I hate to be Debbie Downer here but there is not much out there in jobs right now. After 2.5 years of being unemployed my wife finally landed a full time temp position paying 35% less than her previous salary with no benefits of course. She is still looking for real work but there is nothing around. In the meantime instead of banking on her getting a good job again we are slashing the budget and figuring out a way to lower our expenses. I figure if she can't get a job because there is nothing out there than this is out of her control. We can however figure out how to live on less in the meantime.
You have it figured out! All you can do is plan using the information you have at your disposal at this moment in time.

Part of facing reality is accepting that your wife's present job may be the only thing she can find for a while. So you have to accommodate whatever that means for your lifestyle and budget.

At the same time, you and your wife can continue looking for better paying full time jobs. AND - continue networking. Sometimes, the way folks land that job - despite 200 others applying for it - is b/c the person hiring knew the person they hired. Networking cannot be emphasized enough!

Old 02-15-2011, 07:02 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,718,482 times
The main reason why it won't get better anytime soon has to do with the housing market.

Charlotte grew bigtime for many years because of transplants. People from other parts of the country sold their homes and moved here for many years..(and are still doing it).

The Northeast and other major cities bubble burst in late 05/06 and Charlotte was late to the party but eventually it was going to happen. Once the people from the NE and other parts couldn't sell their homes, they wouldn't buy down here (at the rate they used to.)

I've said this for 3 years plus on here when very few did. Charlotte will not recover until AFTER the major cities housing markets improve. Once that happens, you will then get an influx of people moving down here again.

Its not complicated.

Old 02-15-2011, 07:30 PM

1,661 posts, read 3,286,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
.... Charlotte will not recover until AFTER the major cities housing markets improve.......

Its not complicated.
True, but you left out the step in how exactly this is to happen. If Charlotte is dependant on these places to recover first, then what are these places dependent on?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: