U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2007, 07:27 AM

49 posts, read 139,159 times

Advertisements

Hi
I am a mom of 3 soon to be 4 new to the area of Matthews. Wondering if anyone out there has any info on fun things to do with the family. Places to stay cool with the heat and just some info on Matthews and surrounding areas. I originally lived in Rhode Island and am looking for good and bad opinions of the move me and my family have chosen. Any feed back would be great
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2007, 11:05 AM

4,037 posts, read 5,225,233 times
I can't tell you if the move you made was good or bad for your family - only you can determine that. Matthews is a good area though, so you chose well in that regard.

Things to do for kids:

Discovery Place in Charlotte, NC
Lazy 5 Ranch in Mooresville, NC (just north of Charlotte)
Riverbanks Zoo in Columbia, SC (90 minutes south of Charlotte)
EdVenture Children's Center in Columbia, SC
Carowinds Amusement Park in Fort Mill, SC
Hickory Dickory Dock in Rock Hill, SC

Just to name a few...

Old 07-20-2007, 11:36 AM

45,246 posts, read 92,418,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Portuguese girl View Post
Hi
I am a mom of 3 soon to be 4 new to the area of Matthews. Wondering if anyone out there has any info on fun things to do with the family. Places to stay cool with the heat and just some info on Matthews and surrounding areas. I originally lived in Rhode Island and am looking for good and bad opinions of the move me and my family have chosen. Any feed back would be great
On a hot summer day a great place to visit is Reed's Gold Mine. It is about 20 miles east of uptown Charlotte and is the site of the first gold found in NC almost 200 years ago. Going down in the mine the temp is very pleasant and kids love panning for gold afterwards.

Reed Gold Mine Directions (broken link)

Old 07-20-2007, 03:49 PM

4,730 posts, read 18,219,502 times
That was actually the first discovery of gold in the United States, not just NC.

Old 07-20-2007, 04:44 PM

531 posts, read 1,903,269 times
Firstly, Welcome to the area! You made a great choice for you and your family!

The local public libraries have some great programs going on this summer.
The YMCA has a really cool outdoor waterpark.
There are also some really nice parks in the area as well.
I have also heard great things about Ray's Splash Planet in Charlotte, but have never been there myself.
Also check out the Matthews website. They have a summer movie thing for Saturday nights! http://www.matthewsnc.com/summerconcertmovie2007.pdf (broken link)

I took my kids to Lazy 5 Ranch last week and they loved it! They are begging to go again! Check out their website lazy5ranch.com

There are many great things to do in the area, and I hope you have a fun filled summer!

Old 07-21-2007, 11:28 AM

49 posts, read 139,159 times
Thank you for the info that will help me get the kids out and see north carolina if there are any other suggestions especially for teen girl please post as she can drive me nuts

my childrens ages are 2girl, 7boy & 13 girl and soon a newborn boy due aug 10

Old 07-21-2007, 11:44 AM

201 posts, read 1,220,349 times
Theres a YMCA right outside of Matthews. Across from Plantation Market.
If it's too expensive for you, you can join Pathways and go for free or cheap.

In the Summer (I don't know when it starts) Stumptown Park has a Movie every week.

Old 07-26-2007, 09:41 AM

1 posts, read 3,961 times
The info has been useful to me as well. Anyone, any advice on daycares in the Matthews area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte