Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2011, 06:19 PM

272 posts, read 786,199 times

Advertisements

Hello does anyone on this forum have a composite deck in the Charlotte area that could help me with there experience on it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 06:46 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,571,777 times
I love my Trex deck! It is in my backyard that is very wooded and often covered with leaves. I just sweep it - no cleaning, no sealing, no splinters, no wood rot. The color has changed slightly since I put it in but in my opinion it just looks better. LOVE IT!

Old 01-31-2011, 09:35 AM

16 posts, read 37,586 times
I have it and love it, comparing the railings which are PT wood, with the decking which was timbertech composite, the composite has held up far better after 3 years. (granted I have never re-stained the railings). To me, it is far worth the price increase.

HOWEVER, the version of composite I have WILL grow mildew prolifically, and requires some diligent bi-annual cleaning, (and even power washing) to get rid of. Even then, it does not fully go away.
I have heard of mildew resistant composite, which would be great if it actually works..but I have no knowledge of that.

Old 01-31-2011, 06:10 PM

272 posts, read 786,199 times
I heard that timbertech is one of the better brands but you are saying that mold is a problem? Where did you get timbertech around here?

Old 02-01-2011, 05:49 PM

16 posts, read 37,586 times
I contracted a deck builder from Pineville build a deck we designed. I think he got his stuff from Mecklenburg lumber.
I you want, DM me, I can give you his website. I think There are still pictures of my deck (when it was brand new) on it.
Black mildew will grow on anything I leave outside here, I live in a pretty wooded lot..

Old 02-02-2011, 08:23 AM

1,661 posts, read 3,289,602 times
The common alternative to composite decking in this area is pressure treated wood which is almost always southern yellow pine. Both have their advantages and disadvantages.

PTW - cheaper to purchase, cheaper to install, resists mildew/mold, cleaning can bring it back to a new looking state. However it requires routine maintenance including every other year wood treatment. It will turn gray over time if left to weather and boards can cup. This will vary depending upon grade of wood used. Splinters, wood knots, and other issues with a natural product.

CW - Once installed requires little from the homeowner to maintain. Some consider it to have a more upscale look. No issues with quality grades as there is with wood. However it can be significantly more expensive to purchase and install, no resistance to mold/mildew, will get pretty hot in direct sun, will slowly fade.

Old 02-05-2011, 05:02 AM

30 posts, read 156,619 times
I've used composit decks on many different projects it does have its advantages and disadvantages. One that isn't mentioned is that it can be stained, by accorns leaves, greese etc. if they are left on it for extended periods of time. Depending on how small your deck surface is you can sometimes get good deals on excess lumber. 84 Lumber on Rozzalles Ferry sometimes has some. Ie you need to buy your whole deck in the same color lot/production lot. If they only have 200sqft left of a lot they will sometimes sell it at a significant discount.

Old 02-05-2011, 08:10 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,427,369 times
We have a Trex deck thats about 8 years old, and if I had to do it again, I probably would not use composite. Ours has faded a good bit and now no longer really looks like wood. Structure wise it is fine, but the color just doesn't look natural. Our deck is around our pool and is in direct sunlight. I've had some mildew underneath the benches, but a pressure wash in the spring ususally takes care of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: