U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 09:01 AM

36 posts, read 63,004 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
We might be moving to Charlotte, My job would be in the south-west section of the city. I've read on here that best towns (good schools and safe) are in Union County. But they all can't be possible great. Are there other towns, in other counties, that are good as well?
In your opinion, please provide the top 3 towns (union county or other) that would be a good fit for a family with 2 children (2 years old, and 3 months old)?
Initially we would be renting (house or condo), don't want to spend more than $1100/month, and then within 1 year we would buy a house. Thanks in advance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 10:15 AM

1,056 posts, read 1,970,955 times
Consider Ft Mill, SC - just over the state line, closer to your work and just as close as Union County. Cheaper taxes and gas too!

Old 02-10-2011, 11:03 AM

2,948 posts, read 6,695,180 times
Overall, SC has lower cost of living and some communities are really stepping it up. Clover is a small town, and the school district is decent.

Old 02-10-2011, 11:32 AM

2,532 posts, read 3,209,759 times
Add another vote to Fort Mill. I love Fort Mill. It is very family friendly. Fort Mill school district is really good. Academically they are rated high. Fort Mill High School Band wins state most years. Being on SC, it is alot safer and cheaper; taxes are way lower (once you buy you will see this). Come visit.

Depending on where on the southwest side of Charlotte you work, Union County may be a good drive for you. Non-rush it takes me 30 minutes or so to get to shopping/food just north of Union County (from Fort Mill). The roads leading out of Union County to I-485 and I-485 get really congested during rush hour.

Anyways, good luck on your search.

Old 02-10-2011, 12:37 PM

45,245 posts, read 95,604,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by still_in_CT View Post
Hi everyone,
We might be moving to Charlotte, My job would be in the south-west section of the city. I've read on here that best towns (good schools and safe) are in Union County. But they all can't be possible great. Are there other towns, in other counties, that are good as well?
In your opinion, please provide the top 3 towns (union county or other) that would be a good fit for a family with 2 children (2 years old, and 3 months old)?
Initially we would be renting (house or condo), don't want to spend more than $1100/month, and then within 1 year we would buy a house. Thanks in advance.
Fort Mill, SC, south Charlotte and Matthews would be closest for your commute (in that order). Western Union County in particular is what most people are referring to when they mention good schools. However, you can find great schools in all the areas I mentioned - don't think you HAVE to go to Union County.

Old 02-10-2011, 02:37 PM

This some great feedback. thank you! I looked up Clover SC, and yes it's close to work. I will research more on these areas.
BTW, the possible job is the new Siemens Energy facility that is being built.

Old 02-10-2011, 02:52 PM

1,087 posts, read 2,567,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by still_in_CT View Post
This some great feedback. thank you! I looked up Clover SC, and yes it's close to work. I will research more on these areas.
BTW, the possible job is the new Siemens Energy facility that is being built.
There is also the Steele Creek area of SW Charlotte. Your job would be a 5 minute drive. It is pretty safe and short drive to Uptown and more upscale South Park. Good luck!

Old 02-10-2011, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
Add another vote to Fort Mill. I love Fort Mill. It is very family friendly. Fort Mill school district is really good. Academically they are rated high. Fort Mill High School Band wins state most years. Being on SC, it is alot safer and cheaper; taxes are way lower (once you buy you will see this). Come visit.

Depending on where on the southwest side of Charlotte you work, Union County may be a good drive for you. Non-rush it takes me 30 minutes or so to get to shopping/food just north of Union County (from Fort Mill). The roads leading out of Union County to I-485 and I-485 get really congested during rush hour.

Anyways, good luck on your search.
What do you mean by being safer? Which towns in NC are less safe?

Old 02-11-2011, 04:55 AM

I was reviewing the towns in NC and SC on Sperling's best places. I noticed that personal crime is rated very high for Clover. I don't know how reliable Sperling's is, so does anyone here have some opinions on that?
Also, how is Lake Wylie, SC? According to the cost of living calculator on Sperling's it's more costly to live there then where I am in CT. Again not sure how reliable that website is.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:55 AM

2,948 posts, read 6,695,180 times
Lake Wylie has a lot, I mean A LOT, of very expensive homes built along the lake shore. This skews the numbers significantly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>