Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 09:57 PM

1,055 posts, read 2,118,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch_K View Post
I heard that lot of bullying happens in school buses there in Charlotte
Really? Who told you that? I've never heard of Charlotte school buses as having a bullying epidemic. You can't escape bullying anyway. Sure, some buses may have more "rough" kids than others, but kids will be kids. Typically bus drivers will "take names" so to speak, if there are problem children on their buses. I'd love to know where you got that info though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 06:54 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,495,521 times
Quote:
I heard that lot of bullying happens in school buses there in Charlotte what I never heard before here in STL..and school administration is very strict about it..my son is very intelligent and from Kindergarden only takes part in scienceworkshop,music and other acitivities and I want him to continue the same. That's why searching good school there in Charlotte also.

Again, can you tell us which area of the city your job is located in?

Old 02-15-2011, 07:37 AM

6,150 posts, read 9,993,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Again, can you tell us which area of the city your job is located in?
Seriously... Is this mic on? Hello? There are countless really good Elems available all over the metro. Narrowing it down is an important first step.

I always advise picking on the strength of the High School - you know, cause crazy as it sounds kids grow up! lol

Old 02-15-2011, 08:04 AM

15 posts, read 29,275 times
well I was going through the reviews in one website called greatschools there I found bullying is happening a lot and when parents are complaining to principal,there is no action / response from school.Someone was telling to go to district to give a written notice..ofcourse this is bad.Shall I mention here the school district ??? I shouldnot right?

My husband's office is near East Trade Street in downtown but we will prefer to stay in suburbs as we are here in stlouis.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:11 AM

689 posts, read 1,651,565 times
You have to take everything you read on that website with a grain of salt. Of course the glass half empty people are going to post more and there is always two sides to every story. {As in 'my child is not doing a thing wrong, so he must the other child's fault...or the schools.'}

Old 02-15-2011, 08:14 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,358,287 times
Look for elementary schools that ultimately feed into Ardrey Kell, Providence and Myers Park High Schools. In that order. AK is probably the most stable in terms of choosing an elementary school now that will still feed into it in 5+ years.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:25 AM

15 posts, read 29,275 times
So these schools comes under what county? how far these schools from downtown?

Old 02-15-2011, 08:34 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,358,287 times
AK is about a 45-55 minute commute from downtown during rush hour. Providence is about 35 and Myers Park about 10-15. They're all in Mecklenburg County.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:47 AM

972 posts, read 2,438,405 times
You need to understand that a parent's perceved quality of a school also depends on:

- The principal that year and how closely your views align with the principal's
- Which specific teacher your child has and how well matched they are in teaching/learning styles
- The behavior and academic levels of the other students in your child's classroom
- How often you are in the schools volunteering to see what is really going on and to help fill the gaps from budget cuts

Also, when you look at the ABC report card for a specific school, look at how the subgroup most closely matching your children perform. There are several great school districts around Charlotte, all are county based here. Union and Cabarrus are the two we focused on when we moved here.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:53 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,495,521 times
Quote:
So these schools comes under what county? how far these schools from downtown?
Okay, no offense, but you seem to be going about this kind of backwards.

Now that we know where the job is located, tell us how much you plan to spend (rent or to buy) AND how far he is willing to commute, THEN we can suggest schools
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte