Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 04:49 PM

5 posts, read 18,111 times

Advertisements

We have two boys 5 & 7 and are looking to leave big business and chasing airplanes for good and settle into a peaceful more relaxed life style. Can anybody reccomend what are the advantages/disadvantages? Schools are important and want to be no more than 250K
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2007, 07:31 PM

1,895 posts, read 6,166,732 times
You would be able to find what you are looking for in either county in terms of price for a home. It really depends what you are looking for in an area, and I would also focus on the area closest to where you are working. I would say to come down and take a look for yourself -- it really is the best way to tell.

PS You may have better luck posting this in the Charlotte forum

Old 07-22-2007, 04:10 AM

42 posts, read 129,925 times
We love living in Union Co. Our kids are ages 7 & 9. I previously was a teacher and am very happy with their school.

Old 07-22-2007, 04:40 AM

56 posts, read 221,170 times
Default Union county

Union County hands down.

Old 07-22-2007, 07:57 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,370,579 times
Union County Definately..

Old 07-22-2007, 08:26 AM

928 posts, read 3,851,056 times
YOu might want to drive right past gaston county because there's nothing laid back here and the schools can be sub-par depending on where you wind up.

Old 07-22-2007, 10:42 AM

Thanks, how is wesley chapel? what sub division are you in?

Old 07-22-2007, 12:02 PM

259 posts, read 1,181,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XNYgirl View Post
YOu might want to drive right past gaston county because there's nothing laid back here and the schools can be sub-par depending on where you wind up.
I disagree. Gaston County has a very laid back feel to me. I hated living in Charlotte that brief period I spent there last year. I avoid going into Charlotte now as well.
I would be picky about schools here, get some advice from people who live out here and know about them. I can't comment personally as my son is homeschooled, but I hear the southeast Gastonia schools (Bessemer elem, Ashbrook high) are great, as are Belmont's (Southpoint high district). I live in the district for Ida Rankin elem, Mount Holly Middle, and East Gaston High school, and I have yet to hear anyone complaining about schools.

Gastonia itself I would worry about though, unless it were the southeast quadrant. There is a lot of new construction out that way though, and I'm sure you'd find something nice under 250K.

Old 07-22-2007, 02:55 PM

We came down in November and saw Gaston, Concord & Kannapolis. Out of those we preferred Gaston because we thought there was too much going on at the others. Several peopel told us at teh end of our trip that Waxhaw or Indian Trail was the place we need to be. So we are coming back next monnth for another peek at Gaston and Union County. We are spending 6 days so should get a good feel. We are looking at KB Homes in Union, if we go further east does the price drop significantly and is it worth the commute? I am coming down with a job but will be quickly looking to change so dont know where my true commute will be. My current job takes me away almost every week and we just cant live with that anymore.

Old 07-22-2007, 04:43 PM

928 posts, read 3,851,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromcenFL View Post
I disagree. Gaston County has a very laid back feel to me. I hated living in Charlotte that brief period I spent there last year. I avoid going into Charlotte now as well.
I would be picky about schools here, get some advice from people who live out here and know about them. I can't comment personally as my son is homeschooled, but I hear the southeast Gastonia schools (Bessemer elem, Ashbrook high) are great, as are Belmont's (Southpoint high district). I live in the district for Ida Rankin elem, Mount Holly Middle, and East Gaston High school, and I have yet to hear anyone complaining about schools.

Gastonia itself I would worry about though, unless it were the southeast quadrant. There is a lot of new construction out that way though, and I'm sure you'd find something nice under 250K.

I just recently heard some terrible things about Ida Rankin and their over crowding issues. These issues will fold over into other gaston county schools because they are not planning for the growth while the builders are busy planning and zoning for their subdivisions. From what I've heard WA Bess is in for the worse of it. They said the builder are trying to force out the people with the farms so they can accomodate the luxury homes.

I live within the Gastonia City Limits and there are city issues, just like any major city. Within 5-10 years they will continue to have these issue plus a whole lot more. They are coming to the surrounding areas too because of the sprawl. I do not use our local public school because it's the #3 or #4 failing school in the county and I just cannot take that risk with my child.
I don't know what is worse though, having a failing school that's under populated or having a over populated school that's at grade level. WE all have our city related issues. For me, my advice is to skip the gaston co area and keep on going, especially if you need a good strong public school system.
Sorry if I sound negative, but this is a sore subject for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte