Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 07:16 PM

3,365 posts, read 10,019,579 times

Advertisements

Was wondering what peoples thoughts perceptions where on

Value City Furniture

Ashley Furntiture

Any comments insights would be apprecaited
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2007, 07:33 PM

928 posts, read 3,851,056 times
Value City has met my needs in Both Places NY and Charlotte.

As long as they delivery I can do business with them. I have used JCPenny multiple times for furntiure too they often have multiple discount options too.

In my opinion, furniture is furniture, if it's a lazy boy it's going to be the same quality whether it comes from Value City or JCPenny. Now those bundle boxes that they advertise on Independce Blvd 5 pieces for $200, I would run from those. And those boxes from Kmart, press board. Heee.... Good Luck I know others have refered to them as puzzle piece furniture.

Old 07-22-2007, 07:52 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,370,579 times
we bought our cherry pub table and bar stools at ashley on rt 74 and we just bought our family room furniture from Lay-boy in Pineville..they have an unbelievable lifetime warrenty that very few give....they were a little expensive lazy-boy but like I said they guarentee everything on the couches from the frame to the cusions etc...We couldnt find anything in Value City...

Old 07-22-2007, 08:19 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,912,051 times
Ok, from the mouth of a man I know in the furniture biz (we just had this conversation this week, in fact):

For dining sets, etc, these places are ok.

But for couches:
Ashley Furniture, Rooms to Go, etc is, in his words, "crap."
Don't expect the cushions of sofas to be in good shape after even two years with an average family.

These pieces are put together overseas OR the parts are made overseas and assembled here.

Eight-way hand tie is almost extinct. The only way I can find one is to go to the store my family has used for years, Honeycutt Furniture, and have them order what I want to my specifications. I can even pick my own fabric. I got a leather sofa, 8 way hand tied, seven years ago for under $1500 and it still looks like new. That same sofa other places goes for over $3000.

Basically: you get what you pay for. You cushions will most likely be flat in no time if you go with Ashley.

Old 07-22-2007, 08:39 PM

ive had ashley furniture for years as my bedroom set is in mint condition for 3.5 years now and my pub style table we bought when we moved here well its solid cherry wood with a 5 year warranty on the enitre furniture and honestly cusions are inexpensive and easy to re-do in the years to come.....

Old 07-22-2007, 08:45 PM

743 posts, read 2,242,462 times
I agree with NCMOMOFTWO, I bought the counter height kitchen table last December at Ashley in Matthews and I have had no problem at all with it. My kids even spill food and drink on the cushions and they clean up perfectly. The table is very solid. Now my neighbors (two) bought furniture from Ashley that had imperfections but like everything just examine closely before taking delivery. Hubby and I did and we had nothing at all wrong with it. Plus they had really good prices for the quality.

As far as couches and chairs, we actually found really good deals on sets at the Broyhill Outlet on Rt. 321. It is a little far to drive, took us about 45 min but it was worth it. Sofa, loveseat, oversized chair/ottoman and seperate arm chair all for $1350.00. It was a really good deal, plus I found an Attic Heirlooms coffee table and two endtables for $200 total. Cannot beat the deals in there but it is hit or miss.

Old 07-22-2007, 09:40 PM

71 posts, read 287,181 times
Hi there, We purchased most of our furniture from Ashely when we moved into our home 2 years ago. First off it took 4 months to get all of my items, second the delivery guys were very unprofessional and were complaining that the only beverage I had to offer them was Diet. Value City items are very cheap and will not last very long ~at the most 2 years. My husband and I found a furniture store on Concord Parkway across from the Lowe's. It looks small but they had solid oak bedroom sets for $600 and everyone was nice and the furniture looked great. Good Luck!

Last edited by jayswife; 07-22-2007 at 10:10 PM..

Old 07-22-2007, 09:49 PM

Md that is a good deal

Old 07-22-2007, 09:50 PM

my delivery was 10 days from when we purchased, delivery guys were fine and we had no issues, let alone customer service called me after delivery to ask me how everything went, if there was any damage...so we had a really good experiece here...when we bought our ashley in NJ we also had a good experience...

Old 07-23-2007, 12:29 AM

259 posts, read 1,181,774 times
I work for a major furniture company, but I'm not loyal enough to be biased (haha)

Honestly, Value City sells a lot of the same identical furniture as Rooms To Go's lower end selection but at better prices.
Ashley's quality is similar to Rooms to Go, but their crappiest sofa starts at 300 and change, not Rooms To Go's crappiest at 400-500. Again, makes Rooms To Go a bit overpriced, possibly across the board.
Rooms To Go has probably the quickest, most available delivery service though. They have a major distribution center right in Charlotte and will delivery ANYWHERE. Up 4 flights of stairs, down dirt or gravel roads, mountain roads, you name it they will deliver it in 3 days, next day if you order it by a certain time of day and pay extra. No one comes close to that. Ashley doesnt even order your furniture from the supplier (many are overseas) until you buy it in the store.
For the best bang for your buck (if thats your intent) check out the clearance section at the back of every Ashley store, or trek to the Rooms To Go outlet on I-85 near the Billy Graham. I'll let you in on a secret- Ashley sincerely wishes to unload their clearanced items so you are getting the lowest price. At Roos To Go outlet- they are still trying to profit as much as possible off damaged goods so haggle and don't be afraid to lowball, worst case they'll knock off 10-20%!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte