Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-09-2011, 01:38 PM
 
4 posts, read 22,004 times
Reputation: 13

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

My girlfriend and I are looking to rent a dock for our boat on Lake Norman or Lake Wyile for the year (or up to Oct). We looked at several Marina's and found it a bit too much for us so I wanted to see if anyone is willing to rent out a space.

We would use it only to dock the boat (19 ft) and would likely drive it to the nearest landing to load all our stuff for the day - this way no one would have to worry about too many people walking through.

Or....does anyone know of a low cost slip or dry storage place on either lake?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-09-2011, 01:48 PM
 
3,071 posts, read 9,135,150 times
Reputation: 1659
Why not check craigslist. I have seen some rentals there from time to time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2011, 03:47 PM
 
Location: Durham UK
2,028 posts, read 5,427,356 times
Reputation: 1150
How much were the marinas charging?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2011, 04:35 PM
 
3,115 posts, read 7,131,225 times
Reputation: 1808
I have a friend who wants to rent her dock for $175 a month. They are on Lake Wylie. I will send you her info if you are interested.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2011, 06:53 PM
 
1,661 posts, read 3,286,491 times
Reputation: 552
If you have have a trailer for your boat and a vehicle that can tow it, then you can rent a space in a storage lot for about $40/month. The other advantage to this is you can buy your gasoline at a regular gas station and avoid the outrageously high gas prices at the marinas. It also allows you to boat on all 3 Charlotte lakes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2011, 07:55 PM
 
3,115 posts, read 7,131,225 times
Reputation: 1808
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
I have a friend who wants to rent her dock for $175 a month. They are on Lake Wylie. I will send you her info if you are interested.
Ok, I'm pretty sure I didn't mean $175 a month. Ouch! I will find out the real price and post it tomorrow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2011, 05:49 AM
 
564 posts, read 1,453,511 times
Reputation: 295
Most marinas are in the 1400+ for the year. I did a residential dock rental on Lake Wylie last year. It did have a lift which was real nice when it comes to keeping things clean. It did work out good for us and would consider it again. My wife was not crazy about the 300.00 dollar price tag per month but we used that boat more last year then the three previous years combined. It was just nice and easy to get in and go without the trailering and waiting in line at the ramp. I think 175.00 to 200.00 is reasonable for in water monthly storage. The 300.00 i paid basically gave me a boat in a garage out of water and the total use of the grounds of the lake front home. The homeowners were also really nice retired people. That helped alot also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2011, 07:10 AM
 
4 posts, read 22,004 times
Reputation: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
Why not check craigslist. I have seen some rentals there from time to time.
I've looked on craigslist, but some locations are way too far and other people just never respond. I also have an ad up on the wanted and boating section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
I have a friend who wants to rent her dock for $175 a month. They are on Lake Wylie. I will send you her info if you are interested.
Definitly, I would prefer Lake Wylie since its closer to me...but a lake is a lake! You can email me at davewhiteabbott@gmail.com


I've looked at several marinas and the price ranges from 1400 to 2400, ouch! This actually isn't too bad but you have to do it as a single payment, and if you do monthly or quarterly payments the price jumps significantly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2011, 10:04 AM
 
Location: Durham UK
2,028 posts, read 5,427,356 times
Reputation: 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckseatfree View Post
I've looked on craigslist, but some locations are way too far and other people just never respond. I also have an ad up on the wanted and boating section.



Definitly, I would prefer Lake Wylie since its closer to me...but a lake is a lake! You can email me at davewhiteabbott@gmail.com


I've looked at several marinas and the price ranges from 1400 to 2400, ouch! This actually isn't too bad but you have to do it as a single payment, and if you do monthly or quarterly payments the price jumps significantly.

Sending you a DM regarding a poss' option.
If you're interested post on here and I can email you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2011, 12:53 PM
 
3,115 posts, read 7,131,225 times
Reputation: 1808
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayday30 View Post
Most marinas are in the 1400+ for the year. I did a residential dock rental on Lake Wylie last year. It did have a lift which was real nice when it comes to keeping things clean. It did work out good for us and would consider it again. My wife was not crazy about the 300.00 dollar price tag per month but we used that boat more last year then the three previous years combined. It was just nice and easy to get in and go without the trailering and waiting in line at the ramp. I think 175.00 to 200.00 is reasonable for in water monthly storage. The 300.00 i paid basically gave me a boat in a garage out of water and the total use of the grounds of the lake front home. The homeowners were also really nice retired people. That helped alot also.
Well maybe that was the correct price then. I am just waiting to hear back from her to confirm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top