Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2011, 07:59 AM

14 posts, read 20,074 times

Advertisements

My very active 89 year old mom is moving here to be near the family. We are new here ourselves and don't know very much about suitable housing for a senior. She wants to rent an apartment, not in a 55+ community (Too many old people, she says). I am worried because most apartments I know of do not have bathrooms equipped for the elderly (walk-in shower, grab bars).

She drives, cooks and cleans for herself, so she doesn't want a place that offers her housekeeping and chefs, which most of the retirement places do.

Anyone have any ideas? She will bunk with us until she finds a place. She's up at 4:30 am. HELP!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 09:23 AM

45,217 posts, read 101,052,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laviniacrabtree View Post
My very active 89 year old mom is moving here to be near the family. We are new here ourselves and don't know very much about suitable housing for a senior. She wants to rent an apartment, not in a 55+ community (Too many old people, she says). I am worried because most apartments I know of do not have bathrooms equipped for the elderly (walk-in shower, grab bars).

She drives, cooks and cleans for herself, so she doesn't want a place that offers her housekeeping and chefs, which most of the retirement places do.

Anyone have any ideas? She will bunk with us until she finds a place. She's up at 4:30 am. HELP!

Well for starters, where do you live?

Whatever place you pick should be within a mile or two or your home in a best case scenario.

In addition, I would be seriously concerned about putting someone of that age in an apt. Even the best of places can be magnets for crime. I would worry she would be taken advantage of by anyone realizing someone that elderly was living alone.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:43 AM

Thanks. I wasn't worried enough.

Unfortunately, I have little say in this. She is as stubborn as all getout, and we have no choice but to put her in an apartment.

We live in Waxhaw. She does not need to be a mile or two from me - she drives and is a very good driver, so a bit further would be OK.

She lived by herself in Florida. She is not easily taken advantage of.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:58 AM

45,217 posts, read 101,052,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laviniacrabtree View Post
Thanks. I wasn't worried enough.

Unfortunately, I have little say in this. She is as stubborn as all getout, and we have no choice but to put her in an apartment.

We live in Waxhaw. She does not need to be a mile or two from me - she drives and is a very good driver, so a bit further would be OK.

She lived by herself in Florida. She is not easily taken advantage of.
My intent was not to worry you further, and I do realize people have minds of their own.

I just know what I know about apts in the Charlotte area and was hoping you could find another situation for her.

Since you are in Waxhaw, and not near any apts, I would suggest you contact a realtor to aid you in finding a very small older home for her. I'm talking one of those little 2-3 bedroom ranches built back in the 50's that are all over the less developed parts of Union County.

Best of luck to you.

Old 03-18-2011, 10:49 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,694,831 times
Every apartment complex I've been to allows the tenant to have installed any of the necessary grab bars and safety equipment, at their own cost, and then removed when they vacate. And most complexes have a few accessible apartments, or, there are some that have elevators so a ground-level unit is not always necessary. A walk-in shower will be hard to find, although I did see one recently in an uptown apartment (Camden Cotton Mill, if you're interested).

Old 03-18-2011, 11:05 AM

Thank you, everyone.

This will be a challenge.

Old 03-18-2011, 11:08 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,569,808 times
Take a peek at Perfection Park in Belmont, NC.
My father lived there, he had a one bedroom apartment there and he just loved it! I was very happy and pleased with him there as well.
It is a "senior" community but the living quarters are little apartments, it isn't an assisted living situation.

Old 03-18-2011, 11:40 AM

1,076 posts, read 2,379,243 times
There are some cute little apartments that are rather new just down Highway 200 near Lancaster, safe area, a little "out there" but near to shopping in Lancaster, and very close to Waxhaw. ALSO, there is a secret gem of a place just down Davis road on one of the private side roads- i took it on a sunday drive and realized it was a 55+ community, but you'd never know!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte