Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 08:46 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,896,833 times

Advertisements

I went to the Raleigh concert, wher he actually performed all of the its most people complained about missing from the Charlotte show. I did regret not hearing Nothing Compares 2 U and Beautiful Ones. I would've like to , but didn't expect to hear Darling Nikki, with him being a JH, but I heard he performed the latter in Columbia. Still, those omissions in no way dimmed my evening and there was not one song he performed that I would've removed.

Here's the Raleigh review:
Prince is the business and, yes, he's still boss - Music - NewsObserver.com

edit: I was struggling real hard not to send the kids to the Grandparents and cancel some other activities I obligated myself to to got to Greensboro tomorrow. But to paraphrase Robert Frost "But I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I party like it's 1999"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2011, 09:03 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,390,912 times
I saw him in a small hall in Cleveland about 6-7 years ago. I really like is old stuff. The first thing he said when he opened 'if you came here to see Purple Rain you are so at the wrong concert'. He is very talented but not the show I wanted to see...

Old 03-25-2011, 09:32 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,749,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
I went to the Raleigh concert, wher he actually performed all of the its most people complained about missing from the Charlotte show...
If you read the comments from the Observer site, you'll read that many people disagreed with that guys comments about the performance. I disagree too. I dont' know what more that guy wanted. His comments sound like he really didn't know Prince's music that well and that he's probably too young to really appreciate the show last night. Prince did songs like Uptown and Let's Work!! Amazing!! The crowd went crazy because a lot of older people knew those songs well. That guy from the Observer, who's probably in his 20's, was probably lost and had never heard those before.

Old 03-26-2011, 06:11 AM

1,921 posts, read 2,017,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
His comments sound like he really didn't know Prince's music that well and that he's probably too young to really appreciate the show last night . . . . That guy from the Observer, who's probably in his 20's, was probably lost and had never heard those before.
When the Observer review first appeared, the reviewer had a line in there complaining that Prince's cover of Sinead O'Connor's "Nothing Compares 2U" was a misfire. The comments slammed him for not knowing this was really a Prince song, and O'Connor's version was the cover. Later in the day, the review was changed to remove that line, and a few of the comments that remarked about it were also removed.

Old 03-26-2011, 06:51 AM

852 posts, read 2,467,659 times
I thought the show was fabulous and he is a great showman and performer. My only complaint was that his suits were so shiny that they reflected back at my camera and all I have to show for my efforts in taking pictures are tons of shiny blobs on stage Great show and great singer.

Old 03-26-2011, 01:45 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,749,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smclarke4 View Post
I thought the show was fabulous and he is a great showman and performer. My only complaint was that his suits were so shiny that they reflected back at my camera and all I have to show for my efforts in taking pictures are tons of shiny blobs on stage Great show and great singer.
OMG! My date had the same issues. So did another friend. I bet he wears those on purpose, not just because they look nice. I've come to the conclusion Prince must do that on purpose. His shows are really strict on pictures and videos. And I saw several people being turned away at the door because they had to take cameras back to their cars.

Old 03-28-2011, 06:47 AM

120 posts, read 237,969 times
Mayb 25 years ago lolol..

Old 03-28-2011, 07:04 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,609,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
If you read the comments from the Observer site, you'll read that many people disagreed with that guys comments about the performance. I disagree too. I dont' know what more that guy wanted. His comments sound like he really didn't know Prince's music that well and that he's probably too young to really appreciate the show last night. Prince did songs like Uptown and Let's Work!! Amazing!! The crowd went crazy because a lot of older people knew those songs well. That guy from the Observer, who's probably in his 20's, was probably lost and had never heard those before.
Reviewers that don't know what they are talking about really grind my gears. How much time does it take to do a Google search on something? If you are going to slam something at least know what you are talking about.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:54 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,644,374 times
Default Oh yeahhhhh

I went to the Charlotte show.. got their late because the wife had to work. Prince was already on when we got their and he said thank you, goodnight 20 minutes after we arrived. Damn awe damn... I guess concerts start on time nowadays.

He made 2 more cameo's and we felt like we saw enough until we read a few reviews and heard about missing uptown.

Since we don't have kids yet we said screw it and went to the Greensboro show. OMG!!!! Best decision ever.

Chaka Khan opened the show... Prince walks around and takes photos for 15 minutes before the show. WTF? I thought they said no camera's? In Charlotte I got the wand treatment. In Greensboro they said "open your jacket" and that was it.. no wand and no screens to go through.

Wish I knew but oh well... he did 2 encores in Greensboro but he did Insatiablem Scandalous and Adore to close the show. He killed it and I don't know if was the Charlotte energy(lack of), being a Thursday or what but the Greensboro show was off the chain. Maybe it was because one of the backup singers is from Greensboro or it was a Saturday... he went all in.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:06 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,644,374 times
Actual set list from Greensboro show

D.M.S.R.
Pop Life
Musicology
Don't Stop Till You Get Enough
Cool
U Got the Look
Misty Blue (Sung by Shelby, P went to change)
Raspberry Beret
Take Me With U
She's Always In My Hair
Controversy
Housequake (just a snippet)
The Cross (instrumental, used as intro to>)
Let's Go Crazy
Delirious
Little Red Corvette (verses sung as a slow jam, chorus regular)
Purple Rain

Piano/DJ set (Band break):
When Doves Cry
Nasty Girl
Darling Nikki
Sign O'The Times
Alphabet St.
The Most Beautiful Girl in the World
The Bird (band returns)

Jungle Love
Love Rollercoaster
Play That Funky Music (big fruity brotha was HILARIOUS!!! P was like "WTF!?!")
Which Way Is Up?
Kiss

If I Was Your Girlfriend
Insatiable
Scandalous
Adore
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte