Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 02:18 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,706,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepulgeek View Post
I don't see a use, for me and maybe alot of other people, for this line unless it then extends to DC. I could take the train to Raleigh but then what? I don't have friends there so I would need to either rent a car or pay to take a Taxi everywhere. The savings in gas for my car will not be cheaper than the cost of the train ticket, taxi rides, or car rental cost.
It will be connecting, in Raleigh, to get to Richmond, then DC, Balt., Wilminton, DE, Philly & beyond. I think it's great. I hope for some northbound trains at more reasonable times than the Crescent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 02:38 PM

1,661 posts, read 3,290,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
It will be connecting, in Raleigh, to get to Richmond, then DC, Balt., Wilminton, DE, Philly & beyond. I think it's great. I hope for some northbound trains at more reasonable times than the Crescent.
The Carolinian departs Charlotte at 7:10 AM and The Piedmont departs Charlotte at 5:10 pm. Both headed north. There is also a mid-day train that leaves Charlotte which will resume service at the end of April. If you live on the North side, you can also board these trains in Kannapolis at the station in Cannon Village ~ 25 minutes later.

The Carolinian continues through Raleigh, heads to Richmond, DC and then to NYC.

Old 03-23-2011, 02:53 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,863,665 times
What a waste....sigh that could restore and electrify 4 lines up here or replace wires on the NEC in NJ , PA , DE.... NC should lose that HSR status....

Old 03-23-2011, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
What a waste....sigh that could restore and electrify 4 lines up here or replace wires on the NEC in NJ , PA , DE.... NC should lose that HSR status....
Nexis, there is a lot of work involved here. A lot of towns have crossings that will have to be addressed. One of the accidents that involved the Crescent happened in my town & it took out a brand new plate glass window on a building that was being restored for a retaurant. Thankfully, it was the middle of the night when the Crescent hit the semi stuck on the rails & the trailer exploded, shooting large metal components for 2 blocks.

Old 03-23-2011, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh22 View Post
The Carolinian departs Charlotte at 7:10 AM and The Piedmont departs Charlotte at 5:10 pm. Both headed north. There is also a mid-day train that leaves Charlotte which will resume service at the end of April. If you live on the North side, you can also board these trains in Kannapolis at the station in Cannon Village ~ 25 minutes later.

The Carolinian continues through Raleigh, heads to Richmond, DC and then to NYC.
I guess I'd go to Kannapolis for safer parking. The Crescent, however stops in Gastonia, which would work better for me, location-wise, it's just at abominable times.

Old 03-23-2011, 04:03 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,174,303 times
So this is just going to be an upgrade for Amtrack? Do people even ride Amtrack? I pass by the Amtrack station on N. Tryon St. almost daily and it looks like a dump. If passenger trains were profitable, then private businesses would run it. It seems like a joke that the govt. is even trying to build this train system that most don't even want or care about.

Old 03-23-2011, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
So this is just going to be an upgrade for Amtrack? Do people even ride Amtrack? I pass by the Amtrack station on N. Tryon St. almost daily and it looks like a dump. If passenger trains were profitable, then private businesses would run it. It seems like a joke that the govt. is even trying to build this train system that most don't even want or care about.
They are ,if oil lobbyists and GM never touched with our railway system everything would be profitable. Only a Few lines are today , the Govt Regulations and rules are keeping private companies away. Although there are 6 in the NE that are restoring alot of lines....

Old 03-23-2011, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Nexis, there is a lot of work involved here. A lot of towns have crossings that will have to be addressed. One of the accidents that involved the Crescent happened in my town & it took out a brand new plate glass window on a building that was being restored for a retaurant. Thankfully, it was the middle of the night when the Crescent hit the semi stuck on the rails & the trailer exploded, shooting large metal components for 2 blocks.
Its still a waste it could be better spent in the NE , a Train that is only used by a 1000 should only revice funding form the state.

Old 03-23-2011, 04:50 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,541,472 times
The N tryon station is going to be relocated behind the Greyhound station as a part of the light rail project.

Old 03-23-2011, 05:16 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,754,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
We got to prepare for all you people moving down here, we're trying to get ahead of the curve. We know ya'll like trains. Dont' hate, congratulate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte