Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 07:35 PM

110 posts, read 317,133 times

Advertisements

I wanted to check out the relationship between inflation and house prices, I did not find a clear one. In the 80's there was high inflation, but it seems that high interest rates kept house prices from going out of control.

As a curiosity for you guys, I ran into a very tight rental market in the north east (Boston area). 3-5% vacancy rates in the areas that I looked. Very odd times we live in. Sounds like Charlotte may follow suit.

2 years ago, didn't we have a 1% commercial vacancy rate in downtown Charlotte? But when i come back to CLT for work, parking space "feels" sparse.
Attached Thumbnails
Your Best Guess--Will Rents Rise or Fall in the Next 2 Years?-inflation.jpg   Your Best Guess--Will Rents Rise or Fall in the Next 2 Years?-price-case-shiller-1890-2010-q4  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 08:17 PM

9,549 posts, read 7,126,667 times
Thanks for the link to the article, although it discussed apartments more than SF homes.

So the "stigma" of renting has largely been elimintated now, courtesy of the awful selling market. However, there is still some part of me that cannot get past the thinking that I am "throwing away" money on rent.

I guess my question, too, is would it be a smart idea to lock in a rent amount with a long lease now, since rents might increase?

Old 03-24-2011, 08:38 PM

110 posts, read 317,133 times
Interest, taxes, insurance on the structure, hoa fees, and maintenance are throwing money away too. The difference can be a wash.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:52 PM

3,069 posts, read 9,171,341 times
I have learned that the goal of having your home paid for when you retire is often not beneficial. What good will it do you if you die and leave a paid for house?Why care if it is ever paid for if you can maintain and enjoy life now rather than skimp and save just to own the house.With a paid for home that asset is the first thing creditors go after and take but if you rent they cant make you move or take what you dont have.The older you get the wiser renting seems.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:59 PM

Interesting perspective, Nativechief.

I heard a story on NPR a few weeks ago that retired age people are the number one demographic going into foreclosure. The story claimed that these people figure, hey, my house lost 100,000; if I can pay it off in 30 years I'll be 93...why not rent and have a nicer place for less money that I don't have to maintain?

On the other hand, you have folks like my parents, who made a mint buying and selling houses; my dad had a knack for knowing where the next hot area would be. Their 800,000K house was paid for with cash...I think the security for them is that they would never have to worry about that payment, and should something happen to one of them, the other would be secure.

There is such a *mindset* to owning....my DH and I have owned 4 houses and made money on the first 3 and the last one lost 100,000 in value. Sometimes I think everyone has been brainwashed into owning. But then I think, if it IS paid for, and values do rise, then you make money for just having lived there. (if that makes sense)

Still wondering....do you all know, is it common in Charlotte, for people to bid up the asking rental price on a house? And why would you do that?

Old 03-25-2011, 03:17 AM

1,661 posts, read 3,301,848 times
I think the answer to the question is also dependent upon the price range of the rental. If it is a McMansion, then I would expect the rates on these places to continue to fall. If it is a more modest home the rental rates might rise due to demand. One thing to remember that while inflation is rising, the average household income is falling in both real terms and versus this inflation.

Forget the happy talk on the TeeVee, the real economy out there is bad and getting worse unless you are a bankster, executive, or well placed politician.

Old 03-25-2011, 06:11 AM

335 posts, read 702,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Interesting perspective, Nativechief.

I heard a story on NPR a few weeks ago that retired age people are the number one demographic going into foreclosure. The story claimed that these people figure, hey, my house lost 100,000; if I can pay it off in 30 years I'll be 93...why not rent and have a nicer place for less money that I don't have to maintain?

On the other hand, you have folks like my parents, who made a mint buying and selling houses; my dad had a knack for knowing where the next hot area would be. Their 800,000K house was paid for with cash...I think the security for them is that they would never have to worry about that payment, and should something happen to one of them, the other would be secure.

There is such a *mindset* to owning....my DH and I have owned 4 houses and made money on the first 3 and the last one lost 100,000 in value. Sometimes I think everyone has been brainwashed into owning. But then I think, if it IS paid for, and values do rise, then you make money for just having lived there. (if that makes sense)

Still wondering....do you all know, is it common in Charlotte, for people to bid up the asking rental price on a house? And why would you do that?
I just leased a place; and no, I did not bid it up. Summer is approaching, and that's when the rental inventory peaked last year, as I expect it will again this year.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:02 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,871,626 times
In my situation, rent will remain stable with only a few units getting another look to see how competitive or in line with rental prices they are.

If I had to guess, downtown rentals will probably go up a little. The same goes for the more desirable areas, but I would lean more towards them staying put. I can't imagine too many areas seeign lowered rental rates, aside from the parts where people don't want to live.

Old 03-25-2011, 12:46 PM

972 posts, read 2,451,535 times
Houses in our neighborhod rent within a month of going on the market. They average around $1600 a month for 4 bedrooms. I am still surprised everytime a house rents or leases quickly.

Old 03-25-2011, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msm_teacher View Post
I am still surprised everytime a house rents or leases quickly.
Really? We are finding houses that are receiving multiple applications within one day of being advertised....it is crazy out there. Maybe we're just too picky, or we want what everyone else wants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte