Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 09:03 PM

23,816 posts, read 34,857,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Sunshine View Post
cutoffs used to be designer jeans...if they are worn in good taste, not "JORTS" then I say who's to judge? I like my cut offs...and I drove up in a BMW so clearly I didn't need to rob the place...
I was not referring to the cutoffs on you. That's a personal decision. I'm a baby boomer. There comes a point in time when you look in the mirror & say to yourself, time to quit wearing those in public, for any of a number of reasons.

However, where I was going with that is I don't dress up & no one stares at me, looks at me funny, or makes comments.

Last edited by southbound_295; 03-25-2011 at 09:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2011, 09:18 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,159,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Eh. . . I draw the line on cut-offs for myself, in public, only because I think that after a certain age you start looking like you don't have all your marbles. However, not a soul has batted an eye over my less than elegant attire. If they did, I wouldn't give a rip. Why should I care what strangers thing?
SB, did you notice the irony in denouncing cut-offs and then in the next sentence advising that one should not care what others think? hee hee! I think part of your luck definitely comes from only visiting during the day. Two years ago I was having what I thought was an amiable discussion with a (now ex) friend. She is a born and raised Charlottean and is very fond of dressing up for the most mundane of tasks - basically anything that involves being in public. Anyway, we were actually talking about Lent, not dressing up, but when she disagreed with a point I made she called me a "damn dirty hippy" and advised that I make love to my recycling bin (in more colorful language). So yeah...the attitude is quite different here, from dress to politics to food to activities, and even though people shouldn't care what others think, it's still not fun to be an outsider. Just my $.02.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:38 PM

23,816 posts, read 34,857,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
SB, did you notice the irony in denouncing cut-offs and then in the next sentence advising that one should not care what others think? hee hee! I think part of your luck definitely comes from only visiting during the day. Two years ago I was having what I thought was an amiable discussion with a (now ex) friend. She is a born and raised Charlottean and is very fond of dressing up for the most mundane of tasks - basically anything that involves being in public. Anyway, we were actually talking about Lent, not dressing up, but when she disagreed with a point I made she called me a "damn dirty hippy" and advised that I make love to my recycling bin (in more colorful language). So yeah...the attitude is quite different here, from dress to politics to food to activities, and even though people shouldn't care what others think, it's still not fun to be an outsider. Just my $.02.
As a matter of fact, I did, & figured you'd jump on it, but didn't care enough to reword it. Ever see somebody who is dressed in a manner that you think "Does he/she understand how old he/she is? Why are they wearing that in public?" That's what I'm talking about. When you look in the mirror & think it about yourself, then it's time to not wear whatever in public. I'm a baby boomer & I am an old hippy & don't give a rip, but I do know enough to dress appropriately for weddings, funerals & jobs. Is that more understandable? While I still will wear cut-offs at home I no longer wear them in public. Just my personal decision.

LOL, Kings Mountain issued us recycle bins & most of my neighbors are excited to have them & some asked me about doing it, since they know that I've done it for decades.

Last edited by southbound_295; 03-25-2011 at 09:59 PM..

Old 03-26-2011, 02:49 AM

119 posts, read 248,466 times
Charlotte is definitely not Portland, but if you know where to look, you won't feel too far away from home. Neighborhoods previously mentioned like Dilworth, Southend, NoDa, Plaza-Midwood, and Elizabeth are definitely where you want to be.

In my experience going out, it just depends on where you go to as far as feeling like you have to dress up. For any restaurant that I can think of, including plenty of very nice ones uptown, I have never felt the need to dress up. For bars, if you are going to be hanging out at a dance club (not likely from the sound of things) or somewhere like the Ritz-Carlton lobby bar, then dressing up is certainly not required. In fact, in the neighborhoods of Elizabeth, NoDa, or Plaza-Midwood, you'd be out of place if you dressed up.

If you hang around SouthPark or Ballantyne, you'll see the folks that dress up to go to the grocery store. You'll see plenty of LV bags. And you'll see plenty of expensive cars. But if you aren't into that, then no problem (me either) - I only go there when I need to.

Dilworth and Elizabeth are the best for parks, but any of the neighborhoods mentioned are great for dog-walking or a jog. For other outdoor activities, there's Crowder's Mountain nearby if you feel like a hike (and this is not a mountain, btw, by CO or OR standards!), there's the US National Whitewater center (man-made white water rafting, hiking, biking). There are several well-known bike trails in the area too. The real NC mountains are 2 hours away, and the beach is 3 hours.

As I see it, if you come here with the mindset that you just won't like Charlotte as a place to live, you'll see the absence of these things. But if you try to enjoy it and seek out what it is you are looking for, you'll find that it is a great place. I love Charlotte - I am from here, but I travel all over the US and the world on a consistent basis for work (In Singapore right now...). Charlotte is great place to come home to, and not because I live in the 'burbs or have kids (I don't). I live in SouthEnd, can walk to bars, shops, the light rail to uptown. I enjoy going somewhere like Common Market and listening to live bands, drinking one of their great selection of craft/imported beers (and for cheap!), and hanging out with the "scene kids," skaters, and artists.

Good luck on your move!

Old 03-26-2011, 12:20 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,981,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottclt View Post
Charlotte is definitely not Portland, but if you know where to look, you won't feel too far away from home. Neighborhoods previously mentioned like Dilworth, Southend, NoDa, Plaza-Midwood, and Elizabeth are definitely where you want to be.

In my experience going out, it just depends on where you go to as far as feeling like you have to dress up. For any restaurant that I can think of, including plenty of very nice ones uptown, I have never felt the need to dress up. For bars, if you are going to be hanging out at a dance club (not likely from the sound of things) or somewhere like the Ritz-Carlton lobby bar, then dressing up is certainly not required. In fact, in the neighborhoods of Elizabeth, NoDa, or Plaza-Midwood, you'd be out of place if you dressed up.

If you hang around SouthPark or Ballantyne, you'll see the folks that dress up to go to the grocery store. You'll see plenty of LV bags. And you'll see plenty of expensive cars. But if you aren't into that, then no problem (me either) - I only go there when I need to.

Dilworth and Elizabeth are the best for parks, but any of the neighborhoods mentioned are great for dog-walking or a jog. For other outdoor activities, there's Crowder's Mountain nearby if you feel like a hike (and this is not a mountain, btw, by CO or OR standards!), there's the US National Whitewater center (man-made white water rafting, hiking, biking). There are several well-known bike trails in the area too. The real NC mountains are 2 hours away, and the beach is 3 hours.

As I see it, if you come here with the mindset that you just won't like Charlotte as a place to live, you'll see the absence of these things. But if you try to enjoy it and seek out what it is you are looking for, you'll find that it is a great place. I love Charlotte - I am from here, but I travel all over the US and the world on a consistent basis for work (In Singapore right now...). Charlotte is great place to come home to, and not because I live in the 'burbs or have kids (I don't). I live in SouthEnd, can walk to bars, shops, the light rail to uptown. I enjoy going somewhere like Common Market and listening to live bands, drinking one of their great selection of craft/imported beers (and for cheap!), and hanging out with the "scene kids," skaters, and artists.

Good luck on your move!
I think you've described Charlotte in a nutshell! I've often said that there are 2 different Charlottes; the more suburban Charlotte that consists of South Charlotte, which includes South Park and Ballentyne and then there is the more urban Charlotte that includes Uptown, South End, NoDa, Plaza-Midwood, Elizabeth, and Dilworth! In a sense, I think that makes Charlotte unique in that there is a balance between urban and suburban and that it is a city that offers the type of lifestyle that is suitable for you!

Old 03-28-2011, 03:07 AM

3,879 posts, read 4,309,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottclt View Post

Good luck on your move!
I agree, having lived and traveled all over the US. Perceptions become reality to some folk and Portland/Denver aren't as liberal as made out to be and Charlotte isn't as conservative as made out to be.

I highly doubt, even in South Park, cutoff jean shorts in a grocery store is going draw ANY attention or severe stares (laughable), where do some of you people come up with this stuff?

Old 03-28-2011, 05:46 AM

578 posts, read 2,605,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
Don't know what part of Portland you were in, but Charlotte is pretty different. Maybe you're into the vanilla car-centric lifestyle that suburbia will offer here, but I'm guessing otherwise. Without knowing other details about your situation I'd suggest you look at Elizabeth, Chantilly and Plaza Midwood. Maybe Dilworth or Southend too... depending on your budget.

You should probably check out North Davidson (NoDa) while you're at it...

Everytime I visit friends in destinations westward I come home depressed. It's so much nicer out there... I hope you find a cool place with some cool neighbors, because that's the only thing that keeps me sane here.

Good luck!

I've lived in Denver, am originally from Portland, and now live in Charlotte. He's right....Charlotte is nothing like Boulder or Portland, but if you're looking for something a little more conservative for a while, you'll like it here. If you're looking for a place with the feel of Boulder or Portland, there's nothing in Charlotte close to that. Asheville is the Portland of North Carolina, though...so maybe an occasional escape would be enough for you!

Old 04-01-2011, 09:09 PM

45,217 posts, read 101,028,316 times
hmmm....after seeing what the OP and others of this thread have to say about Portland I think anyone living there would be lucky to move to Charlotte

https://www.city-data.com/forum/portl...l#post18502874

Sounds like you sure can't beat Charlotte's "Carolina blue skies" living in the rain and gloom of the Portland area.

Old 04-02-2011, 08:55 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,981,480 times
Personally, I would much rather live in Charlotte over places like Portland or Asheville any day of the week. My ex-girlfriend said she lived in Asheville when she first moved to NC and she said Asheville was pretty much a hippie town, I personally don't care to be around that type of environment! She now lives in Charlotte and loves it! For people to say that people in Charlotte dress up just to go to the grocery store, come on, this isn't "Leave It To Beaver" or "Father Knows Best," where everyone dresses up just to eat dinner, that is too funny to me! To me, Charlotte is a much more suitable place for me, it offers a little bit of everything, IMO!

Old 04-02-2011, 10:23 AM

3,115 posts, read 7,159,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
hmmm....after seeing what the OP and others of this thread have to say about Portland I think anyone living there would be lucky to move to Charlotte

https://www.city-data.com/forum/portl...l#post18502874

Sounds like you sure can't beat Charlotte's "Carolina blue skies" living in the rain and gloom of the Portland area.
I think it depends on what is important to you. I love Portland and would much rather live in a down-to-earth city with tons of local food and beer options, fabulous music scene and unparalleled access to hiking, biking and the outdoors. People in the Pacific NW don't just hibernate - they still go out, even when it's raining. Here when it rains the malls and movie theaters are absolutely mobbed b/c heaven forbid anyone would have to put on a raincoat.

You are right about the weather here, it's amazing, for the most part, but I'd trade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte