Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 06:43 AM

57 posts, read 141,656 times

Advertisements

Just curious if any transplants lived in Raleigh and then found it boring.. Moved to Charlotte and enjoy NC now?

Living in Raleigh area now and I or my family are party people but find it quite boring in the triangle.. Nothing to do no pro sports just a few events at RBC center and that's about it.

Last edited by skyykell; 03-27-2011 at 06:55 AM.. Reason: title
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2011, 07:09 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,743,780 times
Sometimes its not the area, but the actual people who are the problem.....

There's probably plenty to do in Raleigh (just like there is in Charlotte). Just need to know where to look..

Old 03-27-2011, 07:51 AM

To someone in their early 20s Raleigh could be very entertaining. However, in the 30's to 40's most would enjoy some place with more mature entertaining things to do. Such as an occasionally pro ball game, a night at the epicentre etc.. Raleigh's downtown area is not very inviting and that plays a big role in a cities vibrance/energy level.

Old 03-27-2011, 09:05 AM

3,115 posts, read 7,142,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyykell View Post
To someone in their early 20s Raleigh could be very entertaining. However, in the 30's to 40's most would enjoy some place with more mature entertaining things to do. Such as an occasionally pro ball game, a night at the epicentre etc.. Raleigh's downtown area is not very inviting and that plays a big role in a cities vibrance/energy level.
I guess it depends on what you like to do. I couldn't care less about the Panthers (have you been to a game? Most boring few hours of my life!) or the over-hyped, over-priced Epicenter. I'd rather have a good local music scene, which Charlotte has none, if I'm going to actually go out. Raleigh has us beat hands down in that area, and when I've gone out to listen to bands there I've hardly felt out of place, age-wise (mid 30s). I don't know much about the outdoor activities in Raleigh, but I feel like there's plenty to do here. We enjoy hiking, biking, festivals, the botanical garden, etc. Anyway, Charlotte is a pretty family-oriented city, so I'm not sure how many people you'll see in their 30s and 40s partying every night.

Old 03-27-2011, 10:04 AM

1,661 posts, read 3,292,483 times
Quote:
T...However, in the 30's to 40's most would enjoy some place with more mature entertaining things to do. Such as an occasionally pro ball game, a night at the epicentre etc.....
You jumped the shark with the Epicenter unless your definition of "mature" are a few overpriced irrelevant boutiques, some chain restaurants, and places to get drunk. It's already been foreclosed on and it is already starting to look run down.

As far as pro-sports go, Charlotte hasn't exactly been running on all cylinders on that. In any case, IMO, I don't think Raleigh and the Triangle have anything to worry about as Charlotte often serves to show how not to spend money on a city.

Old 03-27-2011, 10:32 AM

Wow so the Epicenter is not doing well at all? I had no clue....

Old 03-27-2011, 10:41 AM

7,078 posts, read 12,364,987 times
Quote:
Raleigh's downtown area is not very inviting and that plays a big role in a cities vibrance/energy level.
This is where many folks don't share your opinion simply because downtown areas are not that important to the average American any more. If downtowns were that important, places like Raleigh would never post similar growth numbers as places like Charlotte (or better growth numbers than places like Charleston).

Personally, I like living close to two light rail stations and "people watching" downtown. I love eating out in the shadows of skyscrapers (or on the top floor of one) while people are running for their bus or their train. I love seeing people flock in and out of the arena or stadium after an event (I just love seeing people in general). One of my favorite YMCAs here is the Childress Klein Y located on the 2nd floor of a 42 story building uptown. That YMCA has two half court basketball floors, a running track, excercise machines, and a swiming pool (not bad for such an urban location). The best part about that YMCA is that you are only 2 blocks away from epicenter's restaurants after a good work out (and you can get to epicenter from the Y via the "Overstreet Mall" without even going outside if you know the way). The light rail picks me up at either Woodlawn or Tyvola (both are equal distance from my house) and drops me off at the YMCA (Convention center station). There is also a MUCH bigger YMCA located at Carson station.

Outside of uptown, there is the Carowinds factor for me (you can add Concord Mills, Southpark, and Ballantyne to that list as well). IMO, Charlotte and Charleston are the only Carolina cities that would do it for me, but there is obviously those that have fallen in love with areas like the Triangle. With that all said, it really comes down to the opinions and preferences of the person. Someone like me would be happier in Charleston/Charlotte than they would be in say Greensboro/Raleigh. My only issue with Charlotte is that I don't live in uptown/Southend (and that's not Charlotte's fault, it is my fault because I can afford uptown/southend).

Old 03-27-2011, 09:31 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,273,914 times
Quote:
I was there Friday night and it was packed. I don't see how people are saying it is going downhill.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:00 AM

189 posts, read 334,237 times
The developer of Epicentre went bankrupt in July and owes on the loan he was given to built it but only claimed $50,000 in assets. Our poster above didn't quote what every article on this matter stated:

"Businesses owners say they're not worried, because if Ghazi can't get new financing, they expect someone else will buy the property and they'll be fine."

Old 03-28-2011, 10:59 AM

196 posts, read 429,082 times
Quote:
It seems that half the store fronts are vacant...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte