Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 08:44 AM

1,661 posts, read 3,288,477 times

Advertisements

I think for a regional mall to be successful these days it needs something really distinctive to attract shoppers. Otherwise there are simply too many other options that are competing against it. The only two malls in the area that I think do this and thus are holding their own, are Southpark and Concord Mills. Ironically it's because they focus on opposite ends of the economic spectrum (or rather the typical stereotypes thereof)

Otherwise I think the days of a mall (if you are not a tweener and teenager) being a pretend substitute for a downtown are coming to an end as its mostly an ordeal to get to one these days. If Charlotte ever developed a real retail center in its uptown area, I predict that Southpark will bite the dust too. This probably won't happen anytime soon however, if ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 09:09 AM

1,218 posts, read 2,990,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontknwmyusername View Post
While Carolina place is a decent sized mall, it is really loosing appeal. The stores within the mall are just average and I've noticed a lot of stores closing down recently. I like the Barnes and Nobles and REI but it just feels like something is missing. Opinons?
Quote:
I stopped going to CPM about 7 years ago. Nasty. The whole area is run down and tacky.
Yes, it is an average mall, i think thats the point! The mall wants average shoppers to shop there, so they have average stores. Why do you think Southpark has high end stores? They want high end shoppers. Carolina Place is your average, everyday mall. Its a mall you will find typical mall stores, anchors and eateries. If they wanted high end clientele, they would add high end stores.

Nasty and run down? HUH? 7 years ago was a LONG time ago. Ive been several times in the past 12 months, and its a very nice mall. The mall itself is well designed, and the outside stores also have been re-done. How is the area run down? Theres hardly a store out of business around there besides the few failed furnature stores (which there were too many of). I invite you to go back to that area and tell me whats so run down about it.

I have been studying and taken a high interest in shopping malls, centers, plazas and etc for years now, and ive seen my far share. To say Carolina place is run down or "tacky" is 100% wrong. Yes, EVERY mall loses stores, and they usually gain new ones in. Carolina Place is the mall that every age group can go to, because it has stores for everyone. YES, these types of malls DO attract the teenage/young crowd. You will find this in a lot of places around the country. I dont go to the mall on Fri/Sat nights, and usually go during the day/Sunday. That mall is usually busy, even on a weekday, ive been there and the parking lot is pretty full around the anchors, B&N and REI.

Each Charlotte area mall has its own appeal, and thats how it should be. Concord Mills is mainly a outlet-style mall, catering to the low to middle class shopper. Northlake is the mall where you can find middle to high end stuff, for the most part, but really sets itself apart with the styling inside (carpeting in some areas, brushed metal, stained glass, etc) Southpark is high middle class to high end shopping, with one section of the mall having "regular" stores leading you to Macy's.... when Macy's is your least expensive anchor, you know its high end. Carolina Place is your typical, average american mall.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:24 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,252,682 times
There seems to be a lot of anti-mall, anti-brick and mortar sentiment on these boards. That is not representative of the average population.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:35 AM

12 posts, read 23,654 times
There seem to be a lot of sketchy teenagers and the like that tend to gravitate to CPM ... just my opinion though

Old 03-30-2011, 10:59 AM

3,756 posts, read 9,553,359 times
I went to the Carolina Mall once, because there was I thought was a JC Penny. It was small and I would never shop there again.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:15 AM

103 posts, read 395,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
There seems to be a lot of anti-mall, anti-brick and mortar sentiment on these boards. That is not representative of the average population.
agreed...

For the most part, malls are for teenagers and young adults... That is the primary target, and that is who shops Carolina Place.

I've been there twice in the last year. I don't understand any of the complaints here. Was nice, well kept, less crowded than Concord mills, less expensive than Southpark.. Not a bit of trouble any of the times I was there. And my son prefers the shops there.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:16 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,224,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEDIAMOND64 View Post
I went to the Carolina Mall once, because there was I thought was a JC Penny. It was small and I would never shop there again.
There is a JCP there. When you say small, how many more stores do you need beyond the 135 that CPM already has? Is there a specific store besides JCP that CPM didn't have? Or are you suggesting that the JCP is small? Hard to tell from your post. If so, what did JCP not have that you needed?

Old 03-30-2011, 11:16 AM

103 posts, read 395,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEDIAMOND64 View Post
Ever been to the Monroe mall? lol

Old 03-30-2011, 11:21 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,368,849 times
Do you think Belk, Gap, Abercombie and Victoria's Secret have higher prices on the same goods at SouthPark than they do at CPM? I think not.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:26 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,368,849 times
No, I don't think you'll be seeing GameStop in Southpark any time soon. Did you miss Pottery Barn, several jewelry stores, several shoe stores, Apple, Sephora, Godiva? Not much aimed at boys, but that means more stores for me! Love Southpark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte