Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 07:10 PM

443 posts, read 1,257,743 times

Advertisements

Aside from going to the movies, what are other places pre-driving teens can go with friends...and feel safe?

Northlake is okay during early Saturday hours for groups, but not at night.

The White Water Center? Not sure if that has enough kid friendly activities that they can do without a parent? And, is it safe?

How do you give, in this city, your child who is well behaved and needing to cut the apron strings a bit, an outlet other than the aforementioned and going to friends' homes?

Not sure they NEED any other outlet, but if so, what would they be in an around Charlotte? One friend she use to drop her 13 and 15 year old in Davidson. They would do homework at the library, go for lunch at the little cafe across the street. They loved it.

Any thoughts on this? Especially with a suburban kid who has been quite sheltered, not in CMS schools and really not worldly...at all.

Taben
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 07:22 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,654,293 times
Birkdale?

Old 03-30-2011, 07:23 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,136,929 times
What about have a Saturday afternoon "fun party" everyone can come and bob for apples/ play twister and have some cool aid with homemade cookies. Maybe even get wild and listen to some old Pat Boone records....

Old 03-30-2011, 09:35 PM

1,497 posts, read 3,351,628 times
At home , given how !!@#ed up things are nowadays.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:52 PM

359 posts, read 591,724 times
Sports league

Old 03-30-2011, 09:57 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,220,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taben View Post
Aside from going to the movies, what are other places pre-driving teens can go with friends...and feel safe?

The White Water Center? Not sure if that has enough kid friendly activities that they can do without a parent? And, is it safe?

How do you give, in this city, your child who is well behaved and needing to cut the apron strings a bit, an outlet other than the aforementioned and going to friends' homes?

Not sure they NEED any other outlet, but if so, what would they be in an around Charlotte? One friend she use to drop her 13 and 15 year old in Davidson. They would do homework at the library, go for lunch at the little cafe across the street. They loved it.

Any thoughts on this? Especially with a suburban kid who has been quite sheltered, not in CMS schools and really not worldly...at all.

Taben
I have no good suggestions except to get him/her some exposure to the world befure they're forced to deal with it on their own. I know people who were ill prepared to handle even the college world, and it affected them greatly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
Birkdale?
Birkdale had problems with groups of teens, not necessarily causing problems, but just being en masse to the point it affected the businesses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
What about have a Saturday afternoon "fun party" everyone can come and bob for apples/ play twister and have some cool aid with homemade cookies. Maybe even get wild and listen to some old Pat Boone records....
Now they can sit around a table texting each other and saying "OMG" and "like" in every sentence.

Yeah, sometimes I feel old.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:06 PM

445 posts, read 1,166,461 times
Concord Mills has the Nascar Speedpark, Dave and Busters, the food court, movie theatre and a starbucks - as well as some other restaurants.

Extreme Ice Center in Indian Trail is very nicely put together. Laser Quest on Independence could entertain for awhile.

For something a little different, the Evening Muse in NODA has live performances with some very good music and welcomes all ages to most concerts -usually very reasonably priced ($5-$15). It's a cool little place - my daughters went when a friend was singing on "open mike" night.

Don't know where you live, but the fountain at Stonecrest has music during the warmer months and lots of shops around. Some of the YMCA's have " middle school madness" nights where kids can dance, and play games.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:09 PM

1,738 posts, read 845,523 times
If your child is not in public schools, is she/he home schooled by chance? My sister home schools and has her daughter enrolled in a home school co-op where they design activites for the kids to do together specifically for the socialization aspect of it. Ie: dances (even proms, etc.), meeting up for outdoor adventures, movies, skating, sleep-overs, themed gatherings at holidays... It's been WONDERFUL for her previously very sheltered/shy child. The co-op she belongs to is not in your area, but no doubt there are some in your area that you could find easily enough. Good luck!

Old 03-31-2011, 12:13 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taben View Post

Taben
Many of the YMCA's offer Middle School Madness (dances) during the school year on Saturday nights. The Jewish Community Center does their own version, open to everyone, called Jammin' At the Jay. Kids from all different schools attend these dances, so you don't expect to know a lot of people going. As long as you have one friend to go with you, you can have a lot of fun. My son always ended up meeting new people there.

I don't believe in dropping kids off at the mall - too risky for the young teen set. When my son was that age (pre-driving) a group of us moms would bring them to Stonecrest to meet their friends. They could eat and then walk to the movies while we moms hung out nearby at another eatery having a night out ourselves.

Old 03-31-2011, 03:09 AM

985 posts, read 1,901,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I don't believe in dropping kids off at the mall - too risky for the young teen set. When my son was that age (pre-driving) a group of us moms would bring them to Stonecrest to meet their friends. They could eat and then walk to the movies while we moms hung out nearby at another eatery having a night out ourselves.
I agree with the outside type mall/plaza idea. My daughter did this a couple of weekends ago, her and a couple of friends all walked around, looked at the rescue dogs they had outside, bought frozen yogurt, etc and had a cell in case of anything. We were in the vicinity. They had a great time and never felt like we were there.

I think the dances sound like a great idea too, I'll have to ask the kids if they heard about them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte