Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2012, 12:57 PM

176 posts, read 292,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happytobeme! View Post
I haven't read through all of the replies you've gotten, I just wanted to add in my 2 cents for what it's worth to you. I'm from Upstate NY, in October I'll have lived in the Charlotte area for 9 years. I LOVE LOVE the weather down here, there's nothing, and I mean NOTHING that could get me back up north! I love the snow in winter, but what comes with the snow I hate. I hate the wet - bone chilling cold of winter, I hate the ice, the slush, the salt that ruins your shoes, doing your hair then walking outside only for the constant flurries to ruin your do! Most of all I hate the all day every day dreary gray, I can feel myself right now being pulled down into the gloom just thinking about it. I'm telling you, the difference in how you feel once you move away from that and no longer have to live with it is SO MUCH more than just what the temp feels like outside!

I love the heat and humidity of summer. So having said that, if you don't like it hot, you won't love it like me. In the dead of summer you have to be near water (a pool or the beach) and it's great! If I can't be near water in mid summer, I tend to stay inside till the evening or I go out early morning - or I just deal with the sweat, we all sweat, who cares right?! But that's not ALL summer long, it's only super hot in late July and August. May, June, part of July, September into October is BEAUTIFUL summer weather, and it's still comforatable warm into November most days. Every single day there's a blue sunny sky - EVERY DAY! Almost every day in mid summer it'll storm, then it blows right out and sunny skies again! It's amazing!! You're first summer here will be hard, the humidity takes time to get used to, after a few summers you won't barely notice it, I love it now, strange I know, but I LOVE a good humid day! Reminds me that I live in the South, and nothing could be finer...except maybe to live further South? hahaha

The winters here are so easy! And we get a good storm now and then, this keeps it fun and exciting when you're used to the severe winter storms of the North. Personally I wish it stayed warmer in the winter, but for the most part I refuse to complain. I LOVE the weather here! The beautiful Carolina blue skies ALL YEAR LONG, the warmth, the everyday opportunity for outdoor fun, the looong Autumn season and then flowers that start blooming in FEBRUARY!!!! All of those blessings draw more and more people down here every year! You WILL NOT miss living in the North, I haven't, not for one second!!

Good luck to you!
Enjoyed your post. It's a reminder of how much our attitude influences our reaction. I can tell you are "happy to be me".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2012, 01:20 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,633,953 times
The heat in Charlotte is nothing compared to the heat and humidity in FL or along the coastal areas of SC or GA. If you don't like heat and humidity, then you should investigate the beautiful mountains of western NC. Probably the most perfect weather anywhere other than San Diego CA. Honest *****.

Old 05-05-2012, 02:41 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,221,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromCT View Post
We are thinking about retiring in the Charlotte area to be near our daughter and son-in-law. I know the summers are hot, but we'll be giving up our cold winters. I figured that's a fair trade. But for you New Englanders who've already moved down, is it? I don't like wind and sleet pelting me in the face or slipping on ice on my driveway when I walk down to get the mail, but there are also nice sunny days, when, if you're dressed properly, you can go for a walk and admire the snow covered countryside and listen to the snow crunch under your feet. Are there a reasonable number of nice days in the summer, or does everyone spend most of their time staring out the window, wishing it were tolerable enough to go outside, as we do here in winter?

Also, what's the trade off on heating expense up north versus air conditioning expense down south. Another even trade, or is it on average more or less? We do also use air conditioning here and you obviously use heat too, so I'm really asking about the total.

Thanks!
So I finally moved back north..been in the 60's the last 2 weeks mostly..what a pleasure!! Notice you guys have hit 90 a few times already...oy.

Old 05-05-2012, 02:47 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,081,379 times
Good luck to you, jp! Was actually thinking about you with our warm spell...wondering how you were tolerating it.. .glad to hear that you are somewhere where you can enjoy your life. Life is too short to be as miserable as you were!

Old 05-05-2012, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
Good luck to you, jp! Was actually thinking about you with our warm spell...wondering how you were tolerating it.. .glad to hear that you are somewhere where you can enjoy your life. Life is too short to be as miserable as you were!
Thanks chi I am thrilled to be back up north..except paying the taxes part....cant have everything ...!

Old 05-05-2012, 08:41 PM

156 posts, read 310,545 times
Hi JP
What was the biggest reason(s) for moving back north?? weather??
Just wondering...looking to move to NC but having second thoughts lately.
Thanks

Old 05-06-2012, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingLItoNC View Post
Hi JP
What was the biggest reason(s) for moving back north?? weather??
Just wondering...looking to move to NC but having second thoughts lately.
Thanks
Weather was a factor for sure, but not being in familiar territory with no family,friends was a bigger factor. Charlotte and New England are two completely different animals and I never got used to it.

Moving is simple, if you do it, DO YOUR RESEARCH. I let cheaper costs dictate my move and ignored what I would not like. No harm no foul though. In fact housing prices are much cheaper up north now than they were 5 years ago. Taxes are out of control still.

Remember ...don't move because you are running FROM something. If that is your reason, best to just stay where you are. If you have visited a place and love it, or are moving to family and friends or a great job then give it a go. If its just because you hate where you are or feel the need for a change , its a recipe for failure.

Old 05-06-2012, 04:47 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,081,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Weather was a factor for sure, but not being in familiar territory with no family,friends was a bigger factor. Charlotte and New England are two completely different animals and I never got used to it.

Moving is simple, if you do it, DO YOUR RESEARCH. I let cheaper costs dictate my move and ignored what I would not like. No harm no foul though. In fact housing prices are much cheaper up north now than they were 5 years ago. Taxes are out of control still.

Remember ...don't move because you are running FROM something. If that is your reason, best to just stay where you are. If you have visited a place and love it, or are moving to family and friends or a great job then give it a go. If its just because you hate where you are or feel the need for a change , its a recipe for failure.
Great post, jp. I want to make a comment on "not being in familiar territory with no family,friends was a bigger factor. Charlotte and New England are two completely different animals and I never got used to it."...people are different here. Sometimes, it is not easy to make friends as many people are confused by our "northern ways". Obviously, everyone is different and I am not saying anything negative, but, I have also had a difficult job acclimating to many of the differences. Since I, unlike my buddy jp here, have a serious issue with the cold, moving back is not an option for me. But, I have a new appreciation for the snowbird set and hope to be one someday!

Old 06-02-2012, 05:35 PM

3,878 posts, read 4,304,402 times
Ok, where's the heat? I'm ready!

Old 06-03-2012, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Ok, where's the heat? I'm ready!
With temps 4 degrees above normal in May and 15 days of high temps above 85 I'd say you guys are already in the "hot " category.
Beautiful here in the northeast...couldn't ask for more weather-wise. Looking forward to some nice warm spells this summer now.

Last edited by jp03; 06-03-2012 at 07:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte