Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2012, 09:44 AM

18 posts, read 30,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
I don't think I would want to live anywhere where it gets so cold that even the cockroaches will pack their bags and leave.
The cold kills off mosquito eggs and whatnot when it freezes. Charlotte only had one or two nights that went below freezing. I can only imagine what the bugs will be like this summer...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2012, 06:13 AM

985 posts, read 1,907,550 times
I grew up near Buffalo, NY, lived in Michigan for years....and been here one, the heat is nothing compared to the loooong, gray,cold, full-of-shoveling, needing-to-many-layers, kind of winters. The heat is tolerable, go to the pool, go inside, whatever. To be honest the number of days of sunshine (with or without the heat here) is simply incredible, it was like coming out of a cave in a way.

Old 06-10-2012, 08:03 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,219,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewith3 View Post
I grew up near Buffalo, NY, lived in Michigan for years....and been here one, the heat is nothing compared to the loooong, gray,cold, full-of-shoveling, needing-to-many-layers, kind of winters. The heat is tolerable, go to the pool, go inside, whatever. To be honest the number of days of sunshine (with or without the heat here) is simply incredible, it was like coming out of a cave in a way.
Each his own..cant wait for the winter sky and feel of a northern winter again. Is this your first summer there or have you been through one already?

Old 06-10-2012, 11:00 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,396,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
I think we are still locked up in multi-year drought here in NC...
I think I heard on the radio that as of last week or so NC was no longer in a drought for the first time in a couple years. Not 100% on that though. Actually, just looked it up and it is true:

North Carolina drought-free for first time in nearly two years | CharlotteObserver.com & The Charlotte Observer Newspaper

I think the temps have been pretty good so far this year (obviously there's still a lot of summer left). Only a couple days where I went outside and was like "whoa, it's hot." I really didn't think last summer was that hot either. I must have bad luck when I go back up north though. Was in PA/NJ last weekend and temps were in like the 50's, felt pretty cold haha. I think I was only up there once last summer and I swear it felt hotter than it was in NC.

Old 06-10-2012, 11:57 AM

985 posts, read 1,907,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Each his own..cant wait for the winter sky and feel of a northern winter again. Is this your first summer there or have you been through one already?
Been though one already my kids while missing sledding said they prefer being outside all the time too. It has been fine for us. actually better than fine. It's all in how you look at it. Michigan is one of the cloudiest states there is (2nd to Seattle's cloudiness actually) so we enjoy it.

Old 06-10-2012, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewith3 View Post
Been though one already my kids while missing sledding said they prefer being outside all the time too. It has been fine for us. actually better than fine. It's all in how you look at it. Michigan is one of the cloudiest states there is (2nd to Seattle's cloudiness actually) so we enjoy it.
I hear you. I think thats the difference being in Connecticut. The cloud cover is not that severe in winter at all. It seems the folks from the Lakes area really get beaten up by cloud cover. Its ironic as I am doing so much more outside now than I had the 5 years in NC. If you are not by a pool in summer I can't for the life of me see how its enjoyable to let that yellow ball of pain pound you for 5 months. Now for the next 2 months let it be hot up here ..I can enjoy the pool and know in September the cool down will begin.

I'm glad you are enjoying it though and thats what its all about.

Old 06-10-2012, 12:18 PM

23,816 posts, read 34,826,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
I think I heard on the radio that as of last week or so NC was no longer in a drought for the first time in a couple years. Not 100% on that though. Actually, just looked it up and it is true:

North Carolina drought-free for first time in nearly two years | CharlotteObserver.com & The Charlotte Observer Newspaper

I think the temps have been pretty good so far this year (obviously there's still a lot of summer left). Only a couple days where I went outside and was like "whoa, it's hot." I really didn't think last summer was that hot either. I must have bad luck when I go back up north though. Was in PA/NJ last weekend and temps were in like the 50's, felt pretty cold haha. I think I was only up there once last summer and I swear it felt hotter than it was in NC.
LOL, I talked with my sister this morning. It's supposed to be 92 in Philly today. That means probably about 95 in Pitman, as well as the rest of South Jersey.

The temps are usually about the same, but it feels better here, because it's usually less humid.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:02 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,772,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post

We are out of the drought....1st time since I moved here several years ago. (we went from stage 2 to stage 3 pretty quickly....) My lawn never looked better!!!

Temps here have been good so far. No major heat waves (last year we started late spring very hot...I remember Memorial Day baking in the sun last year....)

All up and down the east coast (I-95 corridor (where you were) down to Florida), the heat will come mid next week for a couple days....humidity will also creep up (it is June....)

Get ready....

Old 06-11-2012, 08:09 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,772,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
I hear you. I think thats the difference being in Connecticut. The cloud cover is not that severe in winter at all. It seems the folks from the Lakes area really get beaten up by cloud cover. Its ironic as I am doing so much more outside now than I had the 5 years in NC. If you are not by a pool in summer I can't for the life of me see how its enjoyable to let that yellow ball of pain pound you for 5 months. Now for the next 2 months let it be hot up here ..I can enjoy the pool and know in September the cool down will begin.

I'm glad you are enjoying it though and thats what its all about.
The "yellow ball of pain" is not "pounding" me right now (as you claim). Exaggerations never worked with the people on the Charlotte board because we know people will take the heat but they can't take the cold.

A major factor why people move down south...is for the weather. You were one of the people on the far end of the spectrum who don't see it that way, and exaggerate everthing to try to prove a point.

Let it rest......

Old 06-11-2012, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
The "yellow ball of pain" is not "pounding" me right now (as you claim). Exaggerations never worked with the people on the Charlotte board because we know people will take the heat but they can't take the cold.

A major factor why people move down south...is for the weather. You were one of the people on the far end of the spectrum who don't see it that way, and exaggerate everthing to try to prove a point.

Let it rest......
I disagree with you, as I know MANY people would rather have cool weather than warm. Its okay , each his own. But as an open forum , I feel obligated to tell the northener who wants to move that no, you will NOT get used to the weather if you hate it hot. Its a different perspective and a valuable one whether you see it that way or not.

Edit: And sorry, I still the THE major factor for people moving south is it is CHEAPER TO LIVE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte