Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2012, 05:03 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,239,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
So 104 is the hottest it's ever been in Charlotte?

FYI, record highs in some northeast cities:
NYC: 106
Philadelphia: 106
Boston: 104
Hartford: 102

Yup Charlotte gets so much hotter than northeast... It lasts longer, but it doesn't get hotter
Using that logic, then Florida doesn't get much hotter either as record high temps there are matched by New England. Its duration of heat and sun angle that make it hotter. If your criteria is record high temps then you are not really getting it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2012, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Hmmm, when we moved here 5 years ago I really researched the weather for our area and sure didn't see where this kind of heat is common. That may have made me think twice but now we're here and not moving so I'm hoping this is not a common thing here that just wasn't mentioned. The Humidity I knew was here but the heat looked like it averaged in the high 80's in the summer for the most part except the mountains. Since we've been here it seems to average in the high 90's with some 100 degree temps for many days in a row plus the humidity. Not many days in the 80's sadly..... Yes, this is the south. Then everyone told us it snows every few years here--it's snowed here every year so far since we've been here--but I don't mind the snow it's the heat that's bad...
You sound like I did up to this year. Moved north and it was the best thing I could have done. First summer I have enjoyed in years. Even this heat wave temps are only pushing 90 at worst. Today was 92 in southern CT and it just felt like a normal Charlotte day.

Old 07-01-2012, 05:19 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,411,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Using that logic, then Florida doesn't get much hotter either as record high temps there are matched by New England. Its duration of heat and sun angle that make it hotter. If your criteria is record high temps then you are not really getting it.
Not really, I said basically the same point earlier in this thread by using average highs. I will give you that it's a little cooler where you are in CT, but whatever metric you want to use, Charlotte doesn't really get much hotter than places like Philly and NY. It's just a larger proportion of the year. But I'd rather that than be freezing my butt off from November-February.

Old 07-01-2012, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Not really, I said basically the same point earlier in this thread by using average highs. I will give you that it's a little cooler where you are in CT, but whatever metric you want to use, Charlotte doesn't really get much hotter than places like Philly and NY. It's just a larger proportion of the year. But I'd rather that than be freezing my butt off from November-February.
Again, I hear your point but its consistently 5-10 degrees warmer and that wore me out. Nobody is saying its not hot in the northeast. Having lived in both, there is a major difference especially north of the Philly area. Sure in winter if you hate cold you are better off in Charlotte. Don't forget Charlotte gets cold too. A cold snap on the East coast in winter will put Charlotte temps in the 30's lows in the teens ..that is no bargain. If you want to say it never lasts long you would be right. But I can say the same about northeastern heat waves. Its all about what you handle better. I think the problem in the argument is you came from Philly...there is no doubt Philly / DC gets some very hot weather in summer. I am a bit further north and it seems to be a difference..

Old 07-01-2012, 05:56 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,411,640 times
True, and I guess after all the OP of this thread was referring to New England. But still, you moved 750 miles to the south, you had to know it was going to be hot, right?

Old 07-01-2012, 06:13 PM

Quote:
True, and I guess after all the OP of this thread was referring to New England. But still, you moved 750 miles to the south, you had to know it was going to be hot, right?
You'd think so I DID know...for some reason I let other factors rule my brain. No matter, very glad I moved down..got to live in a different place for 5 years and settle some things in my mind. Once you know there is no utopia you can settle a lot easier.

Old 07-02-2012, 03:27 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,998,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
There is no utopia for weather except maybe san diego (where its basically 70 and sunny everyday). However im sire there would be be people who complain about that....
The nice thing about Charlotte is that we get to see the variety of 4 seasons and none of them are that extreme. (except to possibly some thick-skinned Yankees) It's been hot here, no doubt about that, but Charlotte, do to it's location near the highest mountains on the East Coast we been spared the most extremes of it.

After the heat of yesterday, this morning at the lake there is a nice steady rain and my thermometer says it is 67. Nice enough to crack a few windows for a while. I love the change.

Day after day of the same weather, even nice weather, gets very monotonous after a while. It's like purgatory on Earth. Imagine having no spring or no fall or the differences in daily activities due to winter & summer.

Old 07-02-2012, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
The nice thing about Charlotte is that we get to see the variety of 4 seasons and none of them are that extreme. (except to possibly some thick-skinned Yankees) It's been hot here, no doubt about that, but Charlotte, do to it's location near the highest mountains on the East Coast we been spared the most extremes of it.

After the heat of yesterday, this morning at the lake there is a nice steady rain and my thermometer says it is 67. Nice enough to crack a few windows for a while. I love the change.

Day after day of the same weather, even nice weather, gets very monotonous after a while. It's like purgatory on Earth. Imagine having no spring or no fall or the differences in daily activities due to winter & summer.
Thick skinned YAnkees. Heh. 100 plus numerous days in. Row IS extreme haha. So funny

Old 07-02-2012, 05:49 AM

Quote:

Thick skinned YAnkees. Heh. 100 plus days is not extreme?? haha. So funny

Old 07-02-2012, 06:00 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,399,529 times
Quote:

Good point! We also have a lovey breeze and cool temps here this morning. And yes, the seasons are nice. Reading your optimistic post was a good eye-opener for me this morning--thank you! I was basically from the mountains, 7,000 ft in CA so I never had to put up with much heat until I moved to the valley in CA and it can get horrible there as well. I will be the first to admit I am a big baby when it comes to heat--being fair skinned and blonde doesn't help. But we do have airconditioning so who am I to complain?!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte