Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2012, 08:55 PM

3,879 posts, read 4,309,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Well, it gets to minus 15 windchill in Rhode Island how often? Once a year... two or three times tops? Rhode Island has quite moderate winters most years....How often is it 95 in Charlotte...30-45 days ?

Its also nice to get outside on a perfect 80 degree day with low humidity ...another top 10 !! Summer here in the northeast is even better than I remember...oh and those comparisons to how its just as hot as down there...so not true its not funny.

Now native you seem to enjoy the heat and actually do things in it. In that case good for you, thats the way it should be.
95+ days in Charlotte are abnormal...here's a link listing a comparison of cities with 95+ degrees with respect to apparent temp (specific humidity level) or heat index.

Hot, Humid Weather: How US Cities Compare - Current Results
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2012, 08:57 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,227,059 times
Quote:
Well, it gets to minus 15 windchill in Rhode Island how often? Once a year... two or three times tops? Rhode Island has quite moderate winters most years....How often is it 95 in Charlotte...30-45 days ?

Its also nice to get outside on a perfect 80 degree day with low humidity ...another top 10 !! Summer here in the northeast is even better than I remember...oh and those comparisons to how its just as hot as down there...so not true its not funny.

Now native you seem to enjoy the heat and actually do things in it. In that case good for you, thats the way it should be.
I wouldn't say I enjoy it. I don't wake up and dance a *** when walking around outside is the equivalent of standing in a hot bowl of chowder... I'm no masochist.

But when it comes to weather extremes I'd rather battle the humidity in the summer rather than the bitter cold in the winter. And it's not even close for me. Plus, the south has the equivalent of two New England summers *every single year*. One in the spring, and one in the fall...

EDIT: not sure why, but evidently C-D thinks j-i-g is a naughty word? All this time I thought it was a "lively dance", lol...

Old 07-23-2012, 07:59 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,232,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
I wouldn't say I enjoy it. I don't wake up and dance a *** when walking around outside is the equivalent of standing in a hot bowl of chowder... I'm no masochist.

But when it comes to weather extremes I'd rather battle the humidity in the summer rather than the bitter cold in the winter. And it's not even close for me. Plus, the south has the equivalent of two New England summers *every single year*. One in the spring, and one in the fall...

EDIT: not sure why, but evidently C-D thinks j-i-g is a naughty word? All this time I thought it was a "lively dance", lol...
That was caught by the filter? hahah..funny.

Well, I do agree on two things Native.... first, that you get two albeit short New England type summers. Also, nobody and I mean nobody deals well with extreme cold. A zero day is brutal on everyone. I don't see how that is denied. However, (I speak for Southern New England) you are talking about only a handful of days a year at most to deal with that extreme. In Charlotte you are looking at 60+ days a year over 90.

If you can handle the heat the south is a good place to be. if you don't like heat and humidity..better off dealing with a couple months of New England cold..

Old 07-23-2012, 08:18 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,997,004 times
Quote:
.....In Charlotte you are looking at 60+ days a year over 90.

If you can handle the heat the south is a good place to be. if you don't like heat and humidity..better off dealing with a couple months of New England cold..
There are these things called air conditioners and fans so it's no big deal.

Old 07-23-2012, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
There are these things called air conditioners and fans so it's no big deal.
I agree!! But there also things called heaters and fireplaces its all preference.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:40 AM

Quote:
I agree!! But there also things called heaters and fireplaces its all preference.
I'm not complaining about the weather on a New England forum. That is the difference dear heart. I'm happy where I live so I don't need to go to another forum and tell others that I don't like the weather there.

You look up the maximum temp for a day then make some crack about it. The high here is supposed to be somewhere in the 90s. So what. The reality is that you stay out of it for the few hours/day that it exists. It's not like this all day. This morning it was 74 here. I went for a 1.5 hour walk and spent part of it talking to others that I know outside who were also out doing things in their yards that I passed by or walking/running themselves. It was 79 when I got back. It's the season and learn to live with what the day has to bring. This afternoon I plan to spend time canning vegetables and jam made from local vegetables and fruits. (some from my own garden)

So there is nothing bad about being outdoors this time of year here. You just can't see it.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:59 AM

Quote:
I'm not complaining about the weather on a New England forum. That is the difference dear heart. I'm happy where I live so I don't need to go to another forum and tell others that I don't like the weather there.

You look up the maximum temp for a day then make some crack about it. The high here is supposed to be somewhere in the 90s. So what. The reality is that you stay out of it for the few hours/day that it exists. It's not like this all day. This morning it was 74 here. I went for a 1.5 hour walk and spent part of it talking to others that I know outside who were also out doing things in their yards that I passed by or walking/running themselves. It was 79 when I got back. It's the season and learn to live with what the day has to bring. This afternoon I plan to spend time canning vegetables and jam made from local vegetables and fruits. (some from my own garden)

So there is nothing bad about being outdoors this time of year here. You just can't see it.
I hear you. Nothing you just said was out of line. Remember though this is a thread about a comparison between New England and Charlotte. Only reason I am on it. I still say its too hot ..you say it isn't. if I post on a thread about NC weather in general your comments are dead on.

Old 07-23-2012, 11:04 AM

Quote:
..... Remember though this is a thread about a comparison between New England and Charlotte. ....
Not exactly. It's a comparison between what people who live in Charlotte now experience with the weather, vs the "opinions" about today's weather in Charlotte from those who don't. There is still a big difference. If you don't like hot weather, then fine. I don't see what else there is to say about it but you are not qualified to tell the rest us living here, what constitutes good weather for Charlotte today. I just gave a big example of why statistics gleaned from the Internet don't tell any story at all.

Old 07-23-2012, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Not exactly. It's a comparison between what people who live in Charlotte now experience with the weather, vs the "opinions" about today's weather in Charlotte from those who don't. There is still a big difference. If you don't like hot weather, then fine. I don't see what else there is to say about it but you are not qualified to tell the rest us living here, what constitutes good weather for Charlotte today. I just gave a big example of why statistics gleaned from the Internet don't tell any story at all.
BUT............ having lived in Charlotte for 5 years I am qualified to tell potential movers how I feel. Remember this thread is to COMPARE the areas. Who better to do that than someone who has lived both places?

fyi I bet bug season is nasty down there this year too. I predicted that when nothing under 20 occurred. A price to pay for no winter.

Old 07-23-2012, 01:11 PM

Quote:
BUT............ having lived in Charlotte for 5 years I am qualified to tell potential movers how I feel. Remember this thread is to COMPARE the areas. Who better to do that than someone who has lived both places?
Why? Did you listen to anyone when they said it was hot in the South? You did afterall move here then spend the next 5 years complaining about the place. Why would you be considered an objective source? I learned a long time ago that it's usually foolish to take advice from someone who wasn't willing to listen to it themselves.

In regards to bugs, the worst mosquitoes in North America are in Alaska during the summer. This is because they have such a short time to reproduce. In the warm parts of the world, this issue doesn't exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte