Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 03:29 AM

221 posts, read 359,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatUpFLA View Post
I'm assuming that you lived in Boca during its peak: the 1980's and early 1990's. Central Florida, on the other hand, peaked in the mid-1990's and late 1990's. It's too bad South Florida isn't what it used to be... I must say, though, Boca has weathered the storm quite well, perhaps the best of all South Florida communities. I attribute that to the fact a high concentration of wealthy folks still reside in this area and still seeming to be moving in. Does your friend still live in Boca?

By the way, I grew up in Rhode Island. I love hot summers and mild winters. But, North Carolina can get quite nippy in the wintertime. It can also snow there. Apparently, the place shuts down if they receive only a dusting of snow. LOL. If you're looking for a place with a slight change of seasons, not an excessive amount of rain, a practically nil chance of wintertime snow, and isn't overly humid: Austin is your best bet. Texas, like Florida, has no state income tax and does not tax vehicles as personal property unlike Connecticut, Rhode Island, and North Carolina. North Carolina also has a relatively high tax burden when compared to Florida and Texas. Property taxes in Florida are probably not as high as property taxes in Texas, but home prices are too darn high in Florida. But, since you've lived virtually all of your life in Connecticut, you'll most likely still be paying less in property taxes, (even if you up-size), whether you were to move to either FL or TX.

Do yourself a favor: Stay away from South Carolina and Tennessee. Those states sure are pretty, but way too "Southern," in nearly every sense of the word, for my liking. North Carolina or Georgia would be better compromises, but both come with higher price tags. Don't even think about moving to Nevada. What a mess that place is! Arizona is one of my favorite states.

So, if I were you, I'd pick either FL, TX, or AZ. Good luck.
Come to Arizona or Phoenix in the Summer ( 6 mo. of the year ) and you will see how hot the oven is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2012, 08:34 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,239,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagobears View Post
Come to Arizona or Phoenix in the Summer ( 6 mo. of the year ) and you will see how hot the oven is.
Don't know how anyone can tolerate heat like that.

Old 11-03-2012, 02:05 PM

490 posts, read 1,102,655 times
I don't know how anyone can tolerate the cool-to-frigid weather that plagues the northern 1/3 of the country for 8-9 months of the year, to be honest with you. I suppose you have to pick your poison. I still prefer hot summers to cold winters. Most people do.

Old 11-03-2012, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatUpFLA View Post
I don't know how anyone can tolerate the cool-to-frigid weather that plagues the northern 1/3 of the country for 8-9 months of the year, to be honest with you. I suppose you have to pick your poison. I still prefer hot summers to cold winters. Most people do.
Love the cool..50 today..just came back from a nice walk. All in what you like. Other than a pool 80 plus is pain.

Old 11-06-2012, 07:06 AM

42 posts, read 55,875 times
I'm a former NewEnglander myself. I quite prefer paying 2 months of a high air conditioning bill versus 6 months of a heating bill. That's just me.

I have had my air off for over 2 months now and don't anticipate turning the heat on until sometime in December...My electric bill hovers around $70 for a 2800sqft house with 3 people outside of late June-August. No complaints here.

Old 11-06-2012, 10:03 PM

3,879 posts, read 4,310,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Love the cool..50 today..just came back from a nice walk. All in what you like. Other than a pool 80 plus is pain.
JP, the difference is really two months....period. Otherwise you pretty much get 10 mos of the same weather in NC as New England...it's simply shifted....a NC March is a New England May. Now, there are two months that some would consider extreme heat (NC: July/August) or extreme cold (NE: Jan/Feb)....

Anyone that lives or has lived in NC September through May and complains about extreme heat (w/reference to Sept-May) should move to the North Pole.

Old 11-07-2012, 12:23 AM

490 posts, read 1,102,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
JP, the difference is really two months....period. Otherwise you pretty much get 10 mos of the same weather in NC as New England...it's simply shifted....a NC March is a New England May. Now, there are two months that some would consider extreme heat (NC: July/August) or extreme cold (NE: Jan/Feb)....

Anyone that lives or has lived in NC September through May and complains about extreme heat (w/reference to Sept-May) should move to the North Pole.
You're absolutely right. That's the reason why I don't think I could ever move to North Carolina from Florida. Summer in much of North Carolina just isn't as long as I like summer to be. I love warm weather and based on monthly temperature averages, I don't think North Carolina would foot the bill for me.

Last year, I visited North Carolina for the very first time during the first weekend in October and the weather was freezing. Nighttime low temperatures were in the low 40's and daytime high temperatures just barely topped out at 65 degrees. Apparently, weather this chilly was unusual for this area during the very beginning of the fall. But, it goes to show you that cold fronts can and do cause temperatures to dip unseasonably low that early in the autumn season. That being said, I couldn't wait to return home to South Florida where high temperatures were still hovering in the mid-to-upper 80's!

That's the reason why I would most likely move to either Texas or Arizona in the event I decided to relocate: Very long summers and very mild winters. However, if I had to choose between North Carolina and New England; I would definitely choose North Carolina.

Old 11-07-2012, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post

Agree

Old 11-07-2012, 08:14 AM

115 posts, read 230,432 times
We relocated to Charlotte from Western PA. August is hot, but you adjust. I'd much rather deal with the heat of summer than those long, freezing, snowy winters. You can always find a little shade to enjoy the outdoors. I have found that our ac bills here in Charlotte are less than our gas heating bills in PA. If you want to take a walk in the snowy outdoors, take a ride to Boone. You can see all the snow you want!

Old 11-07-2012, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggiemovingtocharlotte1 View Post
We relocated to Charlotte from Western PA. August is hot, but you adjust. I'd much rather deal with the heat of summer than those long, freezing, snowy winters. You can always find a little shade to enjoy the outdoors. I have found that our ac bills here in Charlotte are less than our gas heating bills in PA. If you want to take a walk in the snowy outdoors, take a ride to Boone. You can see all the snow you want!
Just outside in the snow , have about 4 inches already on the grass. ...built snowmen, sledded, just enjoyed. You can enjoy outdoors in the cold too..just dress appropriately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte