Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2011, 04:07 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,239,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happytobeme! View Post
I haven't read through all of the replies you've gotten, I just wanted to add in my 2 cents for what it's worth to you. I'm from Upstate NY, in October I'll have lived in the Charlotte area for 9 years. I LOVE LOVE the weather down here, there's nothing, and I mean NOTHING that could get me back up north! I love the snow in winter, but what comes with the snow I hate. I hate the wet - bone chilling cold of winter, I hate the ice, the slush, the salt that ruins your shoes, doing your hair then walking outside only for the constant flurries to ruin your do! Most of all I hate the all day every day dreary gray, I can feel myself right now being pulled down into the gloom just thinking about it. I'm telling you, the difference in how you feel once you move away from that and no longer have to live with it is SO MUCH more than just what the temp feels like outside!

I love the heat and humidity of summer. So having said that, if you don't like it hot, you won't love it like me. In the dead of summer you have to be near water (a pool or the beach) and it's great! If I can't be near water in mid summer, I tend to stay inside till the evening or I go out early morning - or I just deal with the sweat, we all sweat, who cares right?! But that's not ALL summer long, it's only super hot in late July and August. May, June, part of July, September into October is BEAUTIFUL summer weather, and it's still comforatable warm into November most days. Every single day there's a blue sunny sky - EVERY DAY! Almost every day in mid summer it'll storm, then it blows right out and sunny skies again! It's amazing!! You're first summer here will be hard, the humidity takes time to get used to, after a few summers you won't barely notice it, I love it now, strange I know, but I LOVE a good humid day! Reminds me that I live in the South, and nothing could be finer...except maybe to live further South? hahaha

The winters here are so easy! And we get a good storm now and then, this keeps it fun and exciting when you're used to the severe winter storms of the North. Personally I wish it stayed warmer in the winter, but for the most part I refuse to complain. I LOVE the weather here! The beautiful Carolina blue skies ALL YEAR LONG, the warmth, the everyday opportunity for outdoor fun, the looong Autumn season and then flowers that start blooming in FEBRUARY!!!! All of those blessings draw more and more people down here every year! You WILL NOT miss living in the North, I haven't, not for one second!!

Good luck to you!

You do know this is your opinion. Stating it as fact is well....wrong. I DO miss the northern weather. I am DREADING July and August ...so speak for yourself! haha

Edit: PERFECT DAY TODAY!!...perfect...sigh...after this its all well...crap till late September...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 05:09 AM

407 posts, read 854,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nacmd70 View Post
It is 41 , the heat is on, and snow flurries were mentioned in the forecast. Wish we were back in Huntersville.
No snow, but I had to scrape ice off the windshield this morning. Getting too old for this sh$$.
Spring in Western Pa. Heading south next weekend.

Old 05-05-2011, 08:17 AM

1,763 posts, read 3,307,262 times
You only gain daylight in the wintertime. Charlotte has 36 minutes more daylight than Boston on Jan 21 (according to sunrise, sunset logs), but Boston has 45 minutes more daylight on June 21! But of course we all want more daylight in winter!

Old 05-05-2011, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-burgher View Post
You only gain daylight in the wintertime. Charlotte has 36 minutes more daylight than Boston on Jan 21 (according to sunrise, sunset logs), but Boston has 45 minutes more daylight on June 21! But of course we all want more daylight in winter!
True BUT

Sunset Boston June 21st 8:25 PM

Sunset Charlotte June 21st 8:41 PM

We have the late night sun ..while they are sunny early in the morning. Late night equals better.

Old 05-15-2011, 04:49 PM

10 posts, read 23,408 times
I moved from MA five years ago and I would move back although I miss the Fall season. There are a lot of Red Sox fans and we warch the Pat's with lots trasnsplants from New England.
We've had cold winters in Ft. Myers, FL but we've only had the heat on twice just to warm up the house.
Your blood will thin and 60 degrees will seem cool.
Here in Fl its warmer until the rainy season starts about June when the rain cools it down if briefly.
Usually the a/c runs constantly from late May until mid. Oct.

Old 05-16-2011, 12:20 PM

78 posts, read 229,043 times
Left the New England area 6 years ago. Haven't complained about the weather here yet. Hot summers are battled by AC in my car, home and work...... and trips up to Boone.

The grass turns brown in June, I barely have to mow at all in July, what a bonus !!!

Never lifting a snow shovel. No salt on the bottom of my car or pant legs !!

Old 05-16-2011, 12:51 PM

348 posts, read 852,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinabarrel View Post
Left the New England area 6 years ago. Haven't complained about the weather here yet. Hot summers are battled by AC in my car, home and work...... and trips up to Boone.

The grass turns brown in June, I barely have to mow at all in July, what a bonus !!!

Never lifting a snow shovel. No salt on the bottom of my car or pant legs !!

And it's ANOTHER cold, damp, cloudy day here in the Boston area. A good day this spring is when we can hit 65 degrees ......

Old 05-16-2011, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsox1972 View Post
And it's ANOTHER cold, damp, cloudy day here in the Boston area. A good day this spring is when we can hit 65 degrees ......
mmm cold damp and cloudy..is gonna sound great come June down here.

Old 05-16-2011, 05:05 PM

575 posts, read 1,520,013 times
Borrowing a phrase from the NY political gadfly Jimmy McMillian 'It's TOO damn hot outside!' regarding N.C. summers.

Old 05-16-2011, 05:38 PM

701 posts, read 1,088,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
You do know this is your opinion. Stating it as fact is well....wrong. I DO miss the northern weather. I am DREADING July and August ...so speak for yourself! haha

Edit: PERFECT DAY TODAY!!...perfect...sigh...after this its all well...crap till late September...

I dread most of May, then June, July, August, September and some of October. By the end of October there is some consistent relief from the heat. But I am not a heat tolerant person.........I have a friend who can't stand the winters here, she doesn't want to go outside if it's under 65* and I don't want to go outside if it's over 70* We have a 5 to 10 degree window to go to the park together with our kids We both have lived here all our lives so there's no "getting used to it" if it's not meant for you.

My DH (Charlotte native) used to be much more tolerant of the heat when he was younger and has found that in recent years has liked the cold more. He says you can "dress for the cold but there's only so much you can take off in the summer!"

It's all in what you want..........if you spend the majority of your time indoors, what does it matter?

BTW.........I hear oil heat is pretty expensive, and only going higher. Someone from Connecticut probably would do better with utility costs here in the South.

It'll be apparent to all who read this that I am living in Charlotte and trying to leave the area. I'm not on the Charlotte forum to "bash" the city, there are many great things about the area and Charlotte is perfect for many people, it's just not a good fit for us anymore. I'm never, ever,ever going to speak kindly of the very, very long summers though!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte