Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2011, 08:35 AM

11 posts, read 19,366 times

Advertisements

I'll be moving from the north in a month or so. Myself and the rest of my family will be coming down in a week or so to look at a couple rental properties.

I have done extensive research on all the possible areas, but what I can't seem to figure out are exactly what areas I should avoid.

I want safe, in a safe school district. In other words, no ghetto.

We are looking into Hickory but can't find much about it. Can anyone tell me what streets i may want to avoid all together in those areas?

thank you in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2011, 09:35 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vecpr View Post
I'll be moving from the north in a month or so. Myself and the rest of my family will be coming down in a week or so to look at a couple rental properties.

I have done extensive research on all the possible areas, but what I can't seem to figure out are exactly what areas I should avoid.

I want safe, in a safe school district. In other words, no ghetto.

We are looking into Hickory but can't find much about it. Can anyone tell me what streets i may want to avoid all together in those areas?

thank you in advance
Is your job going to be in or near Hickory?

Old 04-10-2011, 09:57 AM

yes

Old 04-10-2011, 10:16 AM

119 posts, read 247,391 times
Northwest Hickory is the nicest part of town in my opinion. Just look for an address that ends in "NW." There are some nice lake communities in this area, and even though houses are probably more expensive than elsewhere in Hickory, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised coming from up North.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:10 PM

812 posts, read 1,908,040 times
I live in NE Hickory up near the Lake. We are in the Clyde Campbell School/Arndt/St Stephens District. I would potentially avoid City of Hickory schools for MIDDLE but the High School seems to offer some interesting programs/sports the County doesn't. (lacrosse comes to mind). I would highly consider MtN View school district as well which includes Fred T Foard HS and Mt View Elementary. I think you can get more bang for your $$ house wise and if you cross out of the city limits your taxes are almost half on the house.

It really isn't bad-there are a lot of northern transplants I just prefer a bigger city and find that I have to make a lot of trips to Charlotte to satisfy my needs. The science center, Patrick Beaver library and Planetarium are very nice for a small town. The hospitals are acceptable for basic procedures. I have been pleased with my medical care (and I am a medical professional). Easy drive to Boone/Blowing Rock and Asheville for mountain activities and to cool off in the summer.

I would tend avoid SW Hickory addresses. Basically it broken into a grid Center St (127) divides E/W and 1st St next to downtown Hickory divides the N/S. Most SE addresses are to be avoided as well. Not sure if any of the Mtn View area have SE designations or not. The street names are a catastrophe where I live! They have a 10th St Pl NW, some are CIR ST PL NW etc....some skip blocks and pick back up. The street next to mine is not even close numerically. I live on a culdesac street but it is AVE LANE NE.

Let me know if you have additional questions. Feel free to PM. Are you looking to rent a house or apt?

Old 04-12-2011, 12:21 AM

Thanks for the responses.

We're looking to rent a house. we are a family of six and the chaos is barely tolerable by me at times let alone another tenant on the other side of the wall.

Do you have your choice in schools? One thing I'm concerned with is my wife would be transferring to Wal Mart but I've "heard" some stories of the place.

Old 04-12-2011, 01:38 AM

3,265 posts, read 3,193,891 times
If you're looking for something a little more upscale the fancy pants folk live out toward Bethlehem north of the lake. Hickory itself is a little run down.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:42 AM

I'm far from "fancy pants"

Old 04-14-2011, 07:56 AM

812 posts, read 1,908,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
If you're looking for something a little more upscale the fancy pants folk live out toward Bethlehem north of the lake. Hickory itself is a little run down.
Well I tend to call them rich lake dwellers! Hickory isn't run down. It has its fair share of abandoned buildings on some of the roads but in general it is not run down. For a city of its size and resources and the fact that is has had to reinvent itself after losing its furniture industry--it is actually doing quite well.

Shook Tarlton seems to have a lot of rental houses signs up around town.

I have never rented in Hickory but you may want to check Craigslist. A friend of ours rented her house that way.

Old 04-15-2011, 12:52 PM

We actually got a hold of a guy who said he has a lot of places in NW hickory. We'll also keep an eye out for that other guys ad while driving around and give him a call. Will be there monday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte