U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-11-2011, 12:35 PM
 
443 posts, read 1,162,679 times
Reputation: 286

Advertisements

What is there to do in Raleigh that you cannot do in Charlotte??? We gave our teens the task of putting together a fun 3 family day trip there. They came back with...there is NOTHING to do in Raleigh we can't do in Charlotte except visit NC State.

They saw the Capitol during the ol' mandatory elem. school trip. The Hurricanes are done for the season.

Could they be right? Is there not enough to do to fill 2-3 days, or is this just teen talk??

Taben

p.s. The only fun they see in this is if we take the train there, solely for the experience of riding Amtrak!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-11-2011, 12:37 PM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,246 posts, read 94,097,141 times
Reputation: 40068
Quote:
Originally Posted by taben View Post
What is there to do in Raleigh that you cannot do in Charlotte??? We gave our teens the task of putting together a fun 3 family day trip there. They came back with...there is NOTHING to do in Raleigh we can't do in Charlotte except visit NC State.

They saw the Capitol during the ol' mandatory elem. school trip. The Hurricanes are done for the season.

Could they be right? Is there not enough to do to fill 2-3 days, or is this just teen talk??

Taben

p.s. The only fun they see in this is if we take the train there, solely for the experience of riding Amtrak!

Why take them to Raleigh? Once you've seen the ugly state capital (and it is ugly by southern standards ) the city is just pretty residential.

Go to Asheville for 3 days instead
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2011, 12:55 PM
 
1,661 posts, read 3,005,070 times
Reputation: 550
Raleigh = Charlotte. Basically the only difference is what you can do when you leave the city. Raleigh - beach is 2 hours away. Charlotte - mountains are 2 hours away. The slight difference might be this:
  • The Raleigh area is more progressive (better education) and thus has more of the things that progressive people like.
  • Charlotte is more of the "compassionate conservative" capital of NC and would appeal more to this crowd.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2011, 01:00 PM
 
443 posts, read 1,162,679 times
Reputation: 286
Default Kids were right?

So, thus far it sounds like my teens were correct! Well, we went to Ashville not too long ago. We also have hit Lake Lure and Myrtle, Edisto and other beaches...and Charleston.

We want to get away for about 3 days, and not spend a whole day in the car getting to where we are going, thus 4 hours and under. We was 'saving' Atlanta for going with friends in a few months and staying in the city and hitting everything from the Braves to CNN to Coca Cola and letting them eat out until their hearts were content.

But, I can't think of any place else since Raleigh has little to offer. Sigh.

Any other suggestions are welcome!

Taben
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2011, 01:41 PM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,246 posts, read 94,097,141 times
Reputation: 40068
Quote:
Originally Posted by taben View Post
So, thus far it sounds like my teens were correct! Well, we went to Ashville not too long ago. We also have hit Lake Lure and Myrtle, Edisto and other beaches...and Charleston.

We want to get away for about 3 days, and not spend a whole day in the car getting to where we are going, thus 4 hours and under. We was 'saving' Atlanta for going with friends in a few months and staying in the city and hitting everything from the Braves to CNN to Coca Cola and letting them eat out until their hearts were content.

But, I can't think of any place else since Raleigh has little to offer. Sigh.

Any other suggestions are welcome!

Taben
How about Boone? From there you could spend the day at Grandfather Mountain, ride down the Parkway to see and hike around Linville Falls and spend a day on the FANTASTIC Virginia Creeper Bike Trail.

Even if you aren't big on biking the Virginia Creeper is amazing and easy to do. First of all, most of the trip is all down hill so you don't work hard and second of all you travel over railroad trestles, thru Christmas Tree farms, farmers fields and just beautiful mountain scenary. I highly recommend it

Virginia Creeper Trail Guide - Virginia's Premiere Mountain Biking Experience

Virginia Creeper Trail Information
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2011, 01:43 PM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,246 posts, read 94,097,141 times
Reputation: 40068
Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh22 View Post
Raleigh = Charlotte. Basically the only difference is what you can do when you leave the city. Raleigh - beach is 2 hours away. Charlotte - mountains are 2 hours away. The slight difference might be this:
  • The Raleigh area is more progressive (better education) and thus has more of the things that progressive people like.
  • Charlotte is more of the "compassionate conservative" capital of NC and would appeal more to this crowd.

LOL, she's not moving there, she just wants to know what there is to see and do for a vacation trip

Personally, I think there's a lot more to do in Charlotte and that Raleigh is a very nice place to live, just not much of a place to visit
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2011, 01:47 PM
 
Location: Concord, NC
1,238 posts, read 2,099,614 times
Reputation: 832
Not sure how long the drive is but have you thought about checking out Colonial Williamsburg or going to Busch Gardens?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2011, 04:26 PM
 
1,111 posts, read 1,804,928 times
Reputation: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh22 View Post
Raleigh = Charlotte. Basically the only difference is what you can do when you leave the city. Raleigh - beach is 2 hours away. Charlotte - mountains are 2 hours away. The slight difference might be this:
  • The Raleigh area is more progressive (better education) and thus has more of the things that progressive people like.
  • Charlotte is more of the "compassionate conservative" capital of NC and would appeal more to this crowd.
I don't think Charlotte is as conservative as you make it out to be! Just because it isn't like what you will find in San Francisco doesn't mean it's as conservative as any rural small town in Texas or Mississippi, either!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2011, 04:39 PM
 
Location: In the AC
972 posts, read 2,287,174 times
Reputation: 831
We lived in Raleigh for years. Most of the things we enjoy there are also here. For example, hiking along the Tobacco Trail is always nice. But, we found equally nice places here.

Durham has a fun science museam, but for a younger crowd. The art museum is an interesting visit and has an excellent restaurant. Duke gardens continues to be a favorite way for us to spend the day - bring your frisbees, a picnic and your camera. There are shows in a wide array of venues from outdoors in Cary to the big RBC Center. Like here, there are downtowns worth an afternoon's visit: Apex, Wake Forest and Chapel Hill. The state fair ground always has something interesting going on, like bead shows or culture fairs.

If there is anything specific you come across that you want more info on, let me know.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2011, 04:41 PM
 
Location: In the AC
972 posts, read 2,287,174 times
Reputation: 831
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
How about Boone? From there you could spend the day at Grandfather Mountain, ride down the Parkway to see and hike around Linville Falls and spend a day on the FANTASTIC Virginia Creeper Bike Trail.

Even if you aren't big on biking the Virginia Creeper is amazing and easy to do. First of all, most of the trip is all down hill so you don't work hard and second of all you travel over railroad trestles, thru Christmas Tree farms, farmers fields and just beautiful mountain scenary. I highly recommend it

Virginia Creeper Trail Guide - Virginia's Premiere Mountain Biking Experience

Virginia Creeper Trail Information
Second the Creeper trail! You can rent bikes if you need to. (Info is probably in Love's links.)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top