Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 01:48 AM

53 posts, read 209,187 times

Advertisements

Can anyone describe the Christmas season in Charlotte for me? I realize it probably doesn't snow, but is it cold? Does it feel like winter? I love the Christmas season, and I remember visiting my GM in Phoenix at Christmas and I just hated that it didn't feel like Christmas with all the kids out playing football in their shorts like it was Memorial Day. Are there local tree lots where you can u-cut trees? I think I have seen some online in the area. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

thx.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2007, 02:25 AM

872 posts, read 3,585,093 times
Yes, Charlotte at Christmas time that nice winter crisp in the air. It usually is in the 50's. I've visited my Grandparents in Miami during Christmas, so I know how you feel about the lack of that "Christmasy" feel. The only places I know where you can cut your own tree is in the mountains, but there may be a place somewhere here.

Weather History of Christmas in Charlotte

Old 07-29-2007, 03:08 AM

Default thx mountain_time_blues

that was inspiring. how close would you say would it be to snow at christmastime? does it ever/I]snow at christmastime in charlotte?

thx again

Old 07-29-2007, 03:38 AM

85 posts, read 428,373 times
The christmas trees are grown in the mountain region of North Carolina.

The website below allows you to search for the locations of the various lots.

North Carolina Christmas Tree Association Home of Fraser Fir Christmas Trees

A day in the mountains looking for "That Perfect Tree" is a great family experience.

A lot of the same growers cut and ship thier trees to all States of the USA and other parts of the world.

Old 07-29-2007, 05:03 AM

872 posts, read 3,585,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KThomas View Post
that was inspiring. how close would you say would it be to snow at christmastime? does it ever/I]snow at christmastime in charlotte?

thx again
As long as I've lived here, I can't remember it snowing around Christmas. Charlotte usually receives the "big" snows in Jan-Febuary. Last trace amounts of snow that have fallen on Christmas was in 1998. So while not common at all, not entirely impossible either.

State Climate Office of North Carolina: When was the Last White Christmas? (broken link)

Old 07-29-2007, 05:34 AM

Default thank you both...

and kehinnc--i grew up in oregon, and it was tradition to go to the local u-cut tree farm every year and get the perfect tree.

mountain_time_blues--i'm just happy to know charlotte gets any snow at all-- i was afraid it was too warm for that all year round. ...altho' if i move to charlotte i'll probly be wishing for a white christmas every year

Old 07-29-2007, 07:25 AM

237 posts, read 855,792 times
Hello

My wife and I grew up in NY, and lived there until a month ago and now live in Charlotte. This was something I was wondering about also. Back home I can seem to remember the last time we had a white christmas either.

Old 07-29-2007, 07:51 AM

928 posts, read 3,852,298 times
I have been in Charlotte for 9 christmases and there's never been a 'crisp' anything in the air in december. One december we had a raging ice storm and that was the closest we've been to anything crisp.

This past easter it was below 32 degree's a crips. Otherwise, december is like a fall day, very fallish for yankees and dry and sunny. It has never felt like a NY christmas to me. I love not wearing boots or parkas. Now, it's not anything like a norman rockwell christmas.

There is plenty of holiday cheer around and 'reason for the season' so don't get that part confused, but you might still be wearing light weight khakis and tee's if you tend to be on the warmer side like us.

Old 07-29-2007, 07:53 AM

19 posts, read 77,693 times
I'm from NY and Christmas time here doesnt compare....BUT it still is very nice. The air is crisp and you will definitely be cold around that time. Uptown Charlotte has nice festivities. You can walk the streets and see the large christmas tree at Trade and Tryon and listen to jazz bands on the street play. We always go to The Nutcracker that performs at Belk Theatre. Then we fly out to NY to see snow! :-)

Old 07-29-2007, 10:13 AM

755 posts, read 2,493,395 times
My children have ridden their new Christmas gifts outside in shirt sleeves on Christmas day before. It can be quite mild here or be fairly chilly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte