Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 09:20 AM

86 posts, read 155,147 times

Advertisements

I would visit first , please take everyones advice with a grain of salt. I moved here from Michigan 6 years ago and I swear I heard so many BAD things about the area I live in now. What I found is that people are a little more paranoid about crime here when in reality the crime here is nothing compared to Michigan or Chicago.

When I moved to the east side of charlotte everyone told me that I would was in trouble. I haven't had one problem in six years. Plus the value of my roommates home has increased a lot.

What I would be careful of here in charlotte is the job market. It's really bad here now. If you're in Banking or healthcare or IT , I think it maybe a bit better. But if you do anything related to construction,,ie,, Builder, Architect, Engineer, realtor, develper I wouldn't move here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 07:02 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,036,775 times
Actually, I thought of something last night...you don't have to leave the city to find some fantastic deals on condos. I was looking at buying a foreclosure in Jefferson Park for about 35k...decent neighbourhood (spent my high school years there) close by the Jeff Park terminal. There are others, too. I am told to stay away from Albany Park and Logan Square; however, if you really want to be speculative, Logan Square is supposed to be up-and-coming!

Old 04-25-2011, 07:18 PM

14 posts, read 27,172 times
XcapefromNJ– Thanks for the kind words! Your post was very encouraging. Thanks for the article. It was a great read! I really appreciate your feedback.

lovesMountains – I wouldn’t say that I’m aiming to be a slumlord. In the complex I bought my sister’s $38,000 foreclosure, the President and Vice President of the HOA are owner occupants and live a few units down.

Nativechief- I have a 100k rental policy on the dwelling. It costs roughly $425/year.

Iwaboy – I will certainly take my time and scout neighborhoods. I have the flexibility of living with my sister and simply knocking off some of the rent I’m charging her.

Spankys bbq – Thanks for the feedback! Could you suggest some areas you would recommend I look into?

LanahB – I certainly wouldn’t move down without a job. My background is in financial services. I have experience in financial sales as well as project management/analytical finance. Thanks!

Chicagocubs – I’ll take a look! They’re calling Logan Square the next “hipster” neighborhood. Think modern day Wicker Park.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:56 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,027,209 times
I think your plan would work better in Detroit.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:57 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,036,775 times
Well, I know Logan Square well, grew up there (more years ago than I would wish to reveal). The houses are large, lots are small, but, there is great access to downtown straight down Diversey. I am sure that once the area is more gentrified, the shopping area around the Milwaukee/Diversey intersection will be revived as well. That really might be an easier go since you are already there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte