Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 07:24 PM

37 posts, read 165,481 times

Advertisements

I've learned there are big plans in the works for the unveiling of the Captain Jack Statue next May. They're calling it the biggest thing in the history community since the historic obelisk was rededicated on East Trade Street in the 1920s. The word is that something unique is in the planning stages, a once in a lifetime celebration, and there is already talk of closing down streets for the event. Meanwhile a 13 and a half foot tall bronze of Captain Jack is under construction in Seagrove N.C. As reported in the past, the monument will feature Captain Jack riding across a stream with splashing water from the passing hoofs!

Perhaps this will provide the spark needed to help make Mec Dec Day a big annual event like it once was. I think it's possible, especially if they would make it more a celebration of Charlotte's overall dramatic role during that time period instead of all the focus being on the controversial Mecklenburg Declaration of Independence. Of course, it should be understood that there is no controversy surrounding the Captain Jack part of the story; it's just a question of which document he took with him on his trip to Philadelphia: Meck Dec or the Mecklenburg Resolves.

Last edited by Dave76; 11-01-2009 at 07:27 PM.. Reason: spelling change
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2009, 07:47 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,948,659 times
Captain Jack??? Can you tell us some more about this person?

Old 11-01-2009, 07:52 PM

1,921 posts, read 2,021,565 times
Is this the Captain Jack that will get you high tonight?

Old 11-01-2009, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
Captain Jack??? Can you tell us some more about this person?

Captain James Jack was the man chosen to deliver the Mecklenburg Declaration of Independence, or some say the Mecklenburg Resolves, by horseback to the Continental Congress in Philadelphia. He was a local militia captain whose father, Patrick Jack, operated a popular tavern on Trade St. When the British invaded Charlotte in 1780, they burned Patrick Jack's house down and roughed the old man up. He died not long after that, and is buried in the old Settler's Cemetery in uptown Charlotte. After the war, Captain Jack eventually moved to Georgia and lived to 91 years old. Below is a brief overview of the Mecklenburg Declaration of Independence taken from the May 20th Society website.

The Mecklenburg Declaration of Independence (widely known as the “MecDec (http://www.may20thsociety.org/images/documents/MecDec.pdf - broken link)”) was unanimously adopted during a convention of Charlotte Mecklenburg’s civic leaders held on May 19 – 20, 1775. It was a reaction to the news that colonists had been massacred by the British at Lexington. On May 31, they drafted a second document—a set of Resolves, now known as the Mecklenburg Resolve (http://www.may20thsociety.org/2008/faqs.htm#resolves - broken link), further outlining their independence and organizing their new governance. The MecDec was the first declaration of independence from Great Britain by any civic or municipal body in the American colonies – more than a year before the Declaration of Independence on July 4, 1776. For this reason, the date “May 20, 1775” is on the State Flag of North Carolina. A copy of the MecDec was given to Captain James Jack to deliver to the Second Continental Congress in Philadelphia.

Old 11-02-2009, 12:26 AM

23,816 posts, read 34,774,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave76 View Post
Captain James Jack was the man chosen to deliver the Mecklenburg Declaration of Independence, or some say the Mecklenburg Resolves, by horseback to the Continental Congress in Philadelphia. He was a local militia captain whose father, Patrick Jack, operated a popular tavern on Trade St. When the British invaded Charlotte in 1780, they burned Patrick Jack's house down and roughed the old man up. He died not long after that, and is buried in the old Settler's Cemetery in uptown Charlotte. After the war, Captain Jack eventually moved to Georgia and lived to 91 years old. Below is a brief overview of the Mecklenburg Declaration of Independence taken from the May 20th Society website.

The Mecklenburg Declaration of Independence (widely known as the “MecDec (http://www.may20thsociety.org/images/documents/MecDec.pdf - broken link)”) was unanimously adopted during a convention of Charlotte Mecklenburg’s civic leaders held on May 19 – 20, 1775. It was a reaction to the news that colonists had been massacred by the British at Lexington. On May 31, they drafted a second document—a set of Resolves, now known as the Mecklenburg Resolve (http://www.may20thsociety.org/2008/faqs.htm#resolves - broken link), further outlining their independence and organizing their new governance. The MecDec was the first declaration of independence from Great Britain by any civic or municipal body in the American colonies – more than a year before the Declaration of Independence on July 4, 1776. For this reason, the date “May 20, 1775” is on the State Flag of North Carolina. A copy of the MecDec was given to Captain James Jack to deliver to the Second Continental Congress in Philadelphia.
Thanks. That was interesting.

I did a little searching & found this on the Jack family. Jack, Patrick - Access Genealogy

Old 11-02-2009, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Thanks. That was interesting.

I did a little searching & found this on the Jack family. Jack, Patrick - Access Genealogy

Thanks for posting the link. I've seen that page before but for those who haven't, it's a very good account of the Captain Jack story.

Old 11-02-2009, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Thanks for posting the link. I've seen that page before but for those who haven't, it's a very good account of the Captain Jack story.
You're welcome. It looked like a reasonably well researched account of the family. Some of my ancestors came down the pike in the same timeframe & then my direct line went to Wrightsboro Georgia & Wilkes County GA, I can tell if it's at least in in the ballpark.

Old 11-02-2009, 09:21 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,228,853 times
There is actually a big stone and a bronze plaque on Trade Street that marks the location where this happened and also tells part of the story. I've got a photo of it but unfortunately I can't seem to find it at the moment.

Old 11-02-2009, 09:26 AM

1,092 posts, read 2,703,678 times
Quote:
I've learned there are big plans in the works for the unveiling of the Captain Jack Statue next May. They're calling it the biggest thing in the history community since the historic obelisk was rededicated on East Trade Street in the 1920s. The word is that something unique is in the planning stages, a once in a lifetime celebration, and there is already talk of closing down streets for the event. Meanwhile a 13 and a half foot tall bronze of Captain Jack is under construction in Seagrove N.C. As reported in the past, the monument will feature Captain Jack riding across a stream with splashing water from the passing hoofs!

Perhaps this will provide the spark needed to help make Mec Dec Day a big annual event like it once was. I think it's possible, especially if they would make it more a celebration of Charlotte's overall dramatic role during that time period instead of all the focus being on the controversial Mecklenburg Declaration of Independence. Of course, it should be understood that there is no controversy surrounding the Captain Jack part of the story; it's just a question of which document he took with him on his trip to Philadelphia: Meck Dec or the Mecklenburg Resolves.
Can you provide a link to the story? Thanks.

Old 11-02-2009, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post
Can you provide a link to the story? Thanks.
Read the link that I posted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte