Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 11:47 AM

308 posts, read 617,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Stick to the gay bars/clubs, Dilworth, NoDa, and Southend and you'll be fine.
So you are telling this person to not feel free to visit straight bars and other venues? I have gay friend that never go to gay bars and rarely go to Southend or Dilworth and nevr to NoDa. They socialize with everyone, and at times are the only gays in a praticular bar. Regardless, they are very popular and loved individuals wherever they go. Believe me, there are scarier areas in Chicago and other large cities for gays than you'll find around here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2011, 11:49 AM

308 posts, read 617,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GayCharlotteGuy View Post
I can't tell you... how much it bothers me when people from the North talk about home EVERY other word...

It's especially noticeable in a lot of New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, and Mass. people.... I know growing up in school you ALWAYS had that 1 kid from New York/New Jersey that everyone wanted to punch in the face because New Jersey was so great and well, NC was supposedly not. Everytime there was an issue, "I remember in New Jersey" "In New Jersey" "In New Jersey" "In New Jersey" "New Jersey is " "New Jersey Isn't"

To tie in that little rant to this thread, as other people said, don't be annoying about it. And people should be perfectly A-okay about it. Some people (most?) don't care. Doesn't mean they're not accepting.
Another good one!!

Old 04-29-2011, 05:25 PM

4 posts, read 9,707 times
Thanks, everyone, for your answers. I was curious about Charlotte in particular because people I've known and spoken to in real life from both Greensboro and Asheville have said they were wonderful places to live and pretty much everyone was accepting of everything, including race, clothing style, political beliefs, etc. not just sexuality. However, the majority of people I spoke to that were raised in or had lived in the Charlotte area told me it was a very conservative traditional city where anything out of the norm was pretty much frowned upon. This got me a little worried so I thought I'd get a few more opinions. Judging by the answers I've gotten so far, I think I'm gonna go ahead and rule Charlotte out. There doesn't seem to be a clear cut idea of Charlotte's openness, with answers ranging from gays being flat out not accepted and bashed to gays being openly embraced and welcomed, both of which I feel like are probably a bit exaggerated. I've been to Charlotte several times, and will probably visit again before making any final decisions, but just visiting a city doesn't even begin to describe what it's like to live there. The main feeling I get about Charlotte, judging by what people have told me and by what I've read here, is that the city seems to be moderate but leaning further to the conservative side. I guess there's no way to know how you'll like a city without actually living there first, since what people say is always going to be biased in favor of their own opinion of the city, and many people often speak for an entire city when only talking about their own opinion. I just don't quite get that warm feeling about Charlotte like I do when thinking of living in Asheville or Greensboro. Guess I just have to go with gut instinct.

But thanks, again, to everyone. I appreciate the help and honesty!

Old 04-29-2011, 05:49 PM

18 posts, read 32,136 times
I haven't lived here long enough to have a feel for tolerance, but didn't the local Pride org almost close down a couple years ago because of massive protests? This is a huge city, so I'd say that's a black mark. I know I hesitated about moving here because despite it's status of "the New South", it really is still deep in the Bible belt.

But I recently came across something on *****ty that says don't trust UNC in the Raleigh/Durham area to be untroubled: http://www.*****ty.com/unc-student-q...hell-20110412/

Seriously, how sick is that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte