U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2011, 10:57 AM
ADR ADR started this thread

171 posts, read 493,555 times

Advertisements

I overseeded in the fall and most of my yard looks nice. But I have a slope/hill where the grass did not come in as good. I think becuase when it rains the water runs off. So, is there a grass seed I can plant there now-in May that would survive Summer? Can you plant rye or bermuda since it is goo din summer, on a hill if the rest of the yard is fescue? Or should I give up getting grass to grow on a hill and do a retaining wall or something different?

Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2011, 11:00 AM

3,115 posts, read 6,841,363 times
Don't try to plant anything now. It's about to get too hot for anything other than summer flowers. I think it depends on the severity of your slope. We have a slope in our backyard and have successfully grown grass. Our neighbors have a slope as well, and on one side where it's more severe they have not been able to grow anything.

Old 05-04-2011, 11:08 AM

23,806 posts, read 32,599,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADR View Post
I overseeded in the fall and most of my yard looks nice. But I have a slope/hill where the grass did not come in as good. I think becuase when it rains the water runs off. So, is there a grass seed I can plant there now-in May that would survive Summer? Can you plant rye or bermuda since it is goo din summer, on a hill if the rest of the yard is fescue? Or should I give up getting grass to grow on a hill and do a retaining wall or something different?

Thanks.
I have a slope in my front yard & tried several methods of seeding it. The wash factor was the problem. I tried a bag of Pennington complete & it took just fine. It's too late to seed now, though.

Old 05-04-2011, 11:23 AM

8,402 posts, read 23,145,917 times
The good news is that once you get some grass to grow, grass will grow easier. My backyard has numerous slopes, but once I got a bit of grass to grow (through deep aeration and heavy seeding) it came in stronger every season. The grass also makes a huge difference in controlling water runoff.

Old 05-04-2011, 11:49 AM
ADR ADR started this thread

171 posts, read 493,555 times
so I am basically SOL until fall? There is nothing I can do for the summer? Can you plant bermuda or a hot weather grass if the rest of your lawn is
fescue?

Old 05-04-2011, 11:53 AM

3,115 posts, read 6,841,363 times
Quote:
so I am basically SOL until fall? There is nothing I can do for the summer? Can you plant bermuda or a hot weather grass if the rest of your lawn is
fescue?
You should not plant anything now, and unless you want your entire lawn to be bermuda, you wouldn't want to plant it anyway. It will overtake fescue very quickly. In the fall make sure you get a good aeration and heavy seeding, and you can even seed again in very early spring next year.

Old 05-04-2011, 12:07 PM

1,661 posts, read 3,144,354 times
Quote:
fescue?
Forget fescue and bermuda for hills or for that matter yards in general. I don't know why people insist on these horrible grasses for Charlotte. Go and get St. Augustine grass. There are a number of varieties that do very well here in Charlotte.

More here

http://www.google.com/search?q=st+au...w=1248&bih=862

Old 05-04-2011, 08:13 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,025,983 times
Quote:
fescue?
Grass TECHNICALLY can grow in the summer here. The problem is you have to use a TON of water. If you don't water, it will go dormant (almost looking dead). Water is expensive here (in my county its based on a tier system)

I would wait till right around Labor Day then go at it....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte