Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 01:31 PM

3 posts, read 19,004 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I have been lurking on these boards for a while now and have seen a lot of really good information, but so far haven't really found too much information on apartment communities in the southern ring of Charlotte.

Some background info:

My husband and I will be moving to Charlotte in November and are planning a trip in August to check it out and look at some different apartment communities. I work for Bank of America, but work from home the majority of the time, so the commute isn't a huge deal for me. My husband will be attending school in Charlotte uptown area, so the commute would matter to him, but not so much during rush hour times. We have a two year old, and since we are planning on being in the area for a long time to come, schools are really really important to us. From what I have been able to discern so far, it looks like the southern ring of Charlotte (Matthews/Mint Hill/Ballantyne) have the highest rated schools in the CMS district, so that is where I am concentrating my apartment search. Unfortunately doing everything over the internet tends to skew perceptions. Anyone can make pictures look beautiful these days.

I have started a list of apartment complexes we would like to look at, and was hoping to get some feedback on my list to help me weed out the ones that I should just steer clear of.

We are looking for at least two beds, preferrably three so I have a home office/spare room in the $700-$900 range. Washer and Dryer hookups are a MUST and we like the idea of a fitness center and a playground as well.

Here is my list so far in no particular order...if anyone can offer some insite into these properties it would be greatly appreciated.

Retreat At McAlpine Creek
Camden Touchstone
Swan Run Apartments
Colonial Village At Greystone
Victoria Park
Matthews Crossing
Cross Creek Apartments
Camden Park Commons
Shorewood at Raintree
Paces Commons
Berkshires on Providence
Providence Court
Laurel Walk
Colonial Grand at Beverly Crest

If there isn't one that is on my list that you recommend, I am open to suggestions as well. Just trying to get as much info before we come down in august so we can use our limited time wisely.

Thank you so much in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 01:59 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,822,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromAlbanyToCharlotte View Post
Hi Everyone,

I have started a list of apartment complexes we would like to look at, and was hoping to get some feedback on my list to help me weed out the ones that I should just steer clear of.

We are looking for at least two beds, preferrably three so I have a home office/spare room in the $700-$900 range. Washer and Dryer hookups are a MUST and we like the idea of a fitness center and a playground as well.

Here is my list so far in no particular order...if anyone can offer some insite into these properties it would be greatly appreciated.

Retreat At McAlpine Creek
Camden Touchstone
Swan Run Apartments
Colonial Village At Greystone
Victoria Park
Matthews Crossing
Cross Creek Apartments
Camden Park Commons
Shorewood at Raintree
Paces Commons
Berkshires on Providence
Providence Court
Laurel Walk
Colonial Grand at Beverly Crest
I have seen Swan's run and they are super old and ugly so I would not suggest those. They are sister property to one behind the Arboretum which isn't too bad. I think they are grove at raintree.

Have you run these apartment through Apartment Ratings :: The leading source of apartment reviews by renters for renters.

That site is pretty good and may help you narrow down the list. Zips for ballantyne is mainly 28277. I think another one in your area is 28226. The rest I don't know.

Old 05-10-2011, 02:50 PM

286 posts, read 689,138 times
Hawfield Farms
Camden Ballantyne
Camden Stonecrest
Post Ballantyne
Piper Glen

As for apartment ratings - it's a good source - but take it with a grain salt. Everything you read isn't always true - some postings are way old. I have read so many and got discouraged until I actually visited the communities in question.

Old 05-10-2011, 04:18 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,184,561 times
There are plenty of threads on this board regarding these two:

Berkshires on Providence
Laurel Walk

Old 05-10-2011, 05:15 PM

3 posts, read 19,004 times
Thank you. I have been to apartmentratings.com many times and have counted some other properties out because of the really awful reviews from recent months. I do also take it with a grain of salt though because I have learned from experience that people usually like to dwell on the negative about things. And the satisfied or happy people don't go out of their way to say so, which is the main reason I am turning to you wonderful folks on here. From the other posts I have looked through there is a lot of straight shooters and not a lot of bloated info.

I will definitely look into the places mentioned above and please keep the great info coming.

Old 09-30-2011, 08:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,985 times
Hope you found a place! I live at Paces Commons and I have a HUGE 1300 sq ft 2br apt for around 800....not the newest subdivision, but great neighbors, best school district around, beautiful nature trail, 2 amazing pools, volleyball sand court, tennis courts, fitness room, etc. Awesome place to live!

Old 10-01-2011, 09:40 AM

1 posts, read 1,982 times
definitely do not move into berkshires on providence. it is possibly the least well run business i have ever come in contact with. my first apartment when i moved down was camden ballantyne, and i would highly recommend any of their complexes. its is a very well run corporation, and keep their apartments very nice.

i'm unaware of the school ratings because i have no children and didn't grow up here, but i've lived here for a few years and kind of know my way around. i would honestly try to shy away from providence rd as a whole; there's some good places, but it's hit or miss. ballantyne is very ritzy and well kept, so i would focus there and its general vicinity. some good places to look are:
all along ballantyne commons
along rea rd from ardrey kell to colony rd
johnston rd from lancaster hwy until it turns into park rd, then park further north to sharon rd w
the area between park rd on the west, carmel in the middle, and rea rd on the east
also, again south blvd is like providence in terms of being really patchy, but there's kind of a long rectangle from south blvd to queens rd/selwyn ave side to side and east blvd to morehead st bottom to top that makes up southend. it's a little grungy in places but more in an artsy way than a shady low-income way, so that would be another good area to look, and it's closer to the city.

Old 10-01-2011, 04:29 PM

149 posts, read 328,163 times
I advise to not choose Colonial Village at Greystone. When I was looking at the apartment late this summer I specifically asked the leasing agent which high school was zoned for the property she stated it was Butler. I enrolled my son in school only to find out that it was Independence and NOT Butler. Independence has lower ratings than Independence.

When she showed me the unit there was a crack from the ceiling to the frame of the walkway which she stated would be fixed. When I moved in weeks later the crack was still there and the cabinet and bathroom doors were all cracked and the bathroom door looked like it was chewed by a dog.

Then I had neighbors who would always stand in the breezeway smoking marijuana and drinking beer leaving cigarette butts on the stairs. I would often hear my neighbors arguing and cursing or yelling at their kids calling them names and cursing at them. When I complained to the assistant property manager and the leasing agent it went no where. This place also had thin walls. I had a bad experience hearing the couple below me having sex. It completely grossed me out so much I would either play my tv or I would sleep in the living room so I wouldn't hear them.

After 1 month and a half I broke my lease had to fork over $2000 in charges and I learned that Colonial Village at Greystone was not what it was all cracked up to be.

Old 10-01-2011, 05:03 PM

149 posts, read 328,163 times
P.S.- Stay away from Victoria Park as well. Teen hanging out on the property with pants sagging and the fitness room was a complete mess.

Old 10-01-2011, 06:03 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmom6722 View Post
P.S.- Stay away from Victoria Park as well. Teen hanging out on the property with pants sagging and the fitness room was a complete mess.

um your paranoid over sagging teens?

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 10-01-2011 at 11:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte