Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 07:17 PM

1,061 posts, read 2,251,057 times

Advertisements

dzrustyfan,

I too think it was an informative post. I feel when someone or a family is considering relocating to an area they have never visited, it is important to see what I call "the good, the bad, and the ugly''. What is meant by that is that one doesn't only look at the nice areas and visit the nice spots. One could also experience a drive through town during rush hour, visit the not so desired neighborhoods, visit the restaurants, bars, and groceries stores to get an idea of the locals. Recognize the distances from the desirable areas to the not desirable areas, as well as distances to major freeways, etc.

I'm also planning a visit or 2 to North Carolina within the next year to see if that is a place where I may desire to relocate to. I'm looking into the Raleigh/Cary area, as well as the areas around Charlotte. Any one area that I would seriously consider moving into would require at least a 2nd and possibly a 3rd visit. One of the visits with plans of staying for a lengthy amount of time to really get a good feel for the area before moving.

It is better to seriously analyze and evaluate an area before moving in as opposed to visit once for a short period and make an impulsive decision to move, only to regret it later. Not that that is always the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2006, 07:37 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,470,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer View Post
dzrustyfan,

I too think it was an informative post. I feel when someone or a family is considering relocating to an area they have never visited, it is important to see what I call "the good, the bad, and the ugly''. What is meant by that is that one doesn't only look at the nice areas and visit the nice spots. One could also experience a drive through town during rush hour, visit the not so desired neighborhoods, visit the restaurants, bars, and groceries stores to get an idea of the locals. Recognize the distances from the desirable areas to the not desirable areas, as well as distances to major freeways, etc.

I'm also planning a visit or 2 to North Carolina within the next year to see if that is a place where I may desire to relocate to. I'm looking into the Raleigh/Cary area, as well as the areas around Charlotte. Any one area that I would seriously consider moving into would require at least a 2nd and possibly a 3rd visit. One of the visits with plans of staying for a lengthy amount of time to really get a good feel for the area before moving.

It is better to seriously analyze and evaluate an area before moving in as opposed to visit once for a short period and make an impulsive decision to move, only to regret it later. Not that that is always the case.

I sure hope no one is only looking at the nice areas on their first visit, I may have stayed a short time, but I drove in rush hour, went to good neighborhoods, bad neighborhoods, went to differernt shopping centers even got lost in Charlotte. I had a good feeling about the area and some people can do it quick as long as they researched everything prior. Some people have to pick it apart for years and multiply and subtract and cross all the t's and dot all the i's and that's fine too.

Who really knows how one is going to like a place until they are there for good?

Old 09-15-2006, 06:52 AM

58 posts, read 286,895 times
I have intentionally sought out the "bad things", trying to dig up the negatives. It's far too easy to dwell on the positives, only to discover later that you had too much tunnel vision.

While I appreciate my current life in NJ more since my visit to NC, I still have much bitterness over the expenses here and much concern over my ability to overcome them in the future. Staying here is going to be tough, but then again, so is moving. "D" if I do, "d" if I don't.

I haven't exactly been a happy guy this week...maybe the weekend will help...

Old 09-15-2006, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzrustyfan View Post
I have intentionally sought out the "bad things", trying to dig up the negatives. It's far too easy to dwell on the positives, only to discover later that you had too much tunnel vision.

While I appreciate my current life in NJ more since my visit to NC, I still have much bitterness over the expenses here and much concern over my ability to overcome them in the future. Staying here is going to be tough, but then again, so is moving. "D" if I do, "d" if I don't.

Like I've said to someone before, you never really know how good you have it where you are until you see other places. The grass is not always greener on the other side. I don't think people from the NE would move if it wasn't so darn expensive and the commute times weren't so bad, that tells me they are happy where they are for the most part. I haven't detected a bad tone from the people coming from NY or NJ about their state. I myself am not moving because I'm unhappy here or because it'e expensive, I'm just ready for a change. I really had no idea how many people were moving here.

Old 09-15-2006, 09:20 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,906,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1m1700 View Post
Like I've said to someone before, you never really know how good you have it where you are until you see other places. The grass is not always greener on the other side. I don't think people from the NE would move if it wasn't so darn expensive and the commute times weren't so bad, that tells me they are happy where they are for the most part. I haven't detected a bad tone from the people coming from NY or NJ about their state. I myself am not moving because I'm unhappy here or because it'e expensive, I'm just ready for a change. I really had no idea how many people were moving here.
THis so very true, like you do not know what you have until it's gone. While I cannot spk for everyone, nor will I try to, most of the people I know looking to move to NC are looking at house/taxes only, only to set themselves up later for disappointment...There is a belief that EVERYTHING in NC is less expensive, some things are and some things aren't..as has been discussed on other threads so I will not re-iterate here.

I truly wonder sometimes how many people who have re-located are upset or wish to return to their prior state, but given the attacks people make when they post a neg or say something they are not happy with in the area, this holds many back from posting honest opinions based on their experiences.

Everyone's lifestyles, experiences and expectations are different. Most of what is said stems from this. Many here are attacked for expressing these things. At this forum is a small percentage of those who actually move. Even look at the views, more people view then post, I wonder what all those lurkers are thinking.

Old 09-15-2006, 09:34 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,799,829 times
I agree with what you said about people regretting moving.

We are from Ireland and many of our friends came here when we did. Then when they had children, they moved back for the education.

70% wish they never moved back. They would come back here in a heartbeat. But now that the kids are making roots at home, they dont want to upset them again. There is always going to be good and bad no matter where we live. Here in NY, the thing I love most is that the opportunities are here to do and become whatever you want.
Now that we are a little older, we have changed our priorities. Whereas before we needed to be financial secure, now by moving, we will be doing ok, our priorities are heading to the comfortable zone.
Hope it helps. figure our what you want from life, what you need and what you are willing to do without.
dorothy

Old 09-15-2006, 09:40 AM

2,115 posts, read 7,085,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzrustyfan View Post
I sure do hope you cheer up!

Rain isn't helping, is it? I had a rough time getting out of bed and making it into work this morning ... would have much preferred laying and drinking wine while watching old movies.

Hey, going to the diesel nationals this weekend? I have to work it ... last year we had a beautiful day. The rain date is Sunday, which is bugging me ... I'd rather get it done and over on Saturday. Sundays I typically reserve for my family ... my boss just isn't getting it.

SL

Old 09-15-2006, 09:41 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,545,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weis02 View Post
THis so very true, like you do not know what you have until it's gone. While I cannot spk for everyone, nor will I try to, most of the people I know looking to move to NC are looking at house/taxes only, only to set themselves up later for disappointment...There is a belief that EVERYTHING in NC is less expensive, some things are and some things aren't..as has been discussed on other threads so I will not re-iterate here.

I truly wonder sometimes how many people who have re-located are upset or wish to return to their prior state, but given the attacks people make when they post a neg or say something they are not happy with in the area, this holds many back from posting honest opinions based on their experiences.

Everyone's lifestyles, experiences and expectations are different. Most of what is said stems from this. Many here are attacked for expressing these things. At this forum is a small percentage of those who actually move. Even look at the views, more people view then post, I wonder what all those lurkers are thinking.
I suspect that number is low- I'm not being overly optimistic either. If there was a significant number of unhappy singles and families, you would hear about it. Particularly here. There are plenty of other states on this site where the unhappy people of that state are magnetically drawn to it. People are slow to tell good news but can't wait to share bad news- human nature. There are several people here in the NC forum who moved to NC, and for one reason or another are unhappy and have left or will leave soon. Many have eloquently stated their reasons in a respectful manner so the information would be balanced with the overwhelming positive info prospects get prior to moving. Particularly on this forum, there's an even smaller % of unhappy transplants that rain on the dreams of others. They take every opportunity to create such fear-uncertainity-doubt, just falling short of saying you're really "not smart" if you make that move. Note, it's a small number of posters, but they have been problematic.

I respect the information posted by those that are positive, those that are negative, and those that are on the fence. We can have a meaningful discourse as long as each point is done in a respectful, adult manner, without direct or subtle attacking.

On that note, since I'm a mod now, I've heard from enough posters that "attacking" needs to stop. If you would like to post something please do without fear of being ridiculed- as long as it's within the bounds of the forum guidelines you'll be fine.

If there's a problematic post and/or person he/she will be dealt with.

Mike

Old 09-15-2006, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1m1700 View Post

You know I will no doubt miss Arizona when I leave and may have a tough transition at first because I don't hate it here, but when I left New York I never looked back the only thing I miss is the Pizza and the Fall leaves.

Old 09-15-2006, 12:54 PM

58 posts, read 286,895 times
I make no bones about it...if I was earning another 20k I wouldn't be investigating the move...right now. NJ has a lot of good to offer, but I have seen trends toward things I don't like, especially with regards to congestion. But no doubt, if I could afford things better, my primary concern would be alleviated...for now.

The move was investigated as an option, and remains as such. Bottom line is I have to do something...

SL...no E-town for me this weekend. Birthday party. Haven't been there since June for the Mopars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte