Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 01:37 PM

58 posts, read 287,078 times

Advertisements

Since we are considering a move from NJ to NC, we paid a visit to our target area over last weekend, and I thought I'd share a little of our experience with you.
  • Visit was from Friday 8/25 thru Mon 8/28.
  • Stayed in Cornelius at Exit 28 off Route 77. Best Western Lake Norman was ok, but wouldn't stay there again.
  • During our stay, we covered over 400 miles in the area, mostly around Cornelius and Mooresville.
  • There are communities with new or young homes throughout the region, but only a few really caught our eye. Of course, I’m sure we missed a ton.
  • We visited the west side of Lake Norman, but didn’t make it as far as Lincolnton. More rural there, and didn’t seem like the area that we’d settle. We circled down to the south of the lake, past the dam and the nuclear plant, and back up to Cornelius. Wasn't crazy about having a nuclear plant nearby, but maybe that's not that big a deal.
  • I did a Monday morning “rush hour” commute from Exit 33 down towards the airport in Charlotte. Took me 53 minutes. The exact return trip, which had no delays, was only 28 minutes. See my “Trial Commute” post.
  • We ventured south past Charlotte into SC, around Lake Wylie. Was pretty nice, but didn’t have the same feel (to us) as up in the Iredell area.
  • On the return, we headed through the west side of Concord, then back up through Huntersville, Cornelius, and Davidson to Mooresville. There were several relatively new developments between Concord and Huntersville, but none were really to our taste.
  • A number of the newer communities were divided between townhomes and single family homes, which is a quality we aren’t looking for.
  • Also, many of the newer developments offer little property and very close proximity of homes, which is not our style. But they were all very cozy with a “Christmas village” kind of feel, if you know what I mean.
  • Davidson is very nice...much more of a private feel to the community, and really tidy for a college town. The college campus is absolutely beautiful...reminded me of where I went to school. But it didn’t seem like an area where a newcomer would settle in.
  • Birkdale Village. WOW! Though we only drove through a few times, we were very impressed with what it had to offer. We just didn’t have the time to sample it, unfortunately. What a novel idea that is well executed. Couldn’t get over how clean it was.
  • Our attention kept coming back to Mooresville, which wasn’t surprising since we are race fans. For us, it has the most to offer. “Historic” Mooresville is showing its age and could use some renovation, but “new” Mooresville (near 77 junction) is a bustling hub of commercial activity, with plenty of shopping, dining, and services. You don’t travel far out of the “new” area and you’re in farmland, which is really cool.
  • I stopped at the Mooresville police station, where they confirmed that the area was safe. Rather than rely on reading up for that info, I figured going straight to the authorities was the best bet.
  • We drove by several of the schools in Mooresville, and paid a visit to Parkview Elementary (our daughters are ages 5 and 9 months). The staff was very welcoming and even took us on a brief tour…very gracious. The school was nice…well maintained and equipped, and everything seemed very orderly. A good, traditional feel to it. So glad we did it.
  • From the outside, the Intermediate, Middle, and High Schools also seemed very nice….we just didn’t have time to stop in any of them, and they’re all a few years away anyway.
  • Everywhere we went, we encountered really friendly people. Driving through neighborhoods, folks would wave and smile…which was really great. And when we spoke to people and they found out we were thinking of moving in, they were all very receptive and quick to offer suggestions and feedback.
  • Lake Norman is beautiful and big…and busy on the weekend. But it clearly would be a big source of recreation for me for sure.
  • Though we were impressed with the community as a whole, I am concerned about the commute and what it could become in the years ahead.
  • We did discover a McDonald's on Billy Graham Parkway near the airport, where the planes pass a few hundred feet above your head as they land. Our 5 year old enjoyed her french fries and jet planes immensely.
  • Overall, we were very pleased with our visit, and pretty exhausted. Thank goodness our girls were real troopers the whole time.

So, are we moving? Not yet. This was a prospecting visit that allowed us to determine that moving to that area is an option for us. The expense of living in NJ is a problem that I have to solve one way or another, and this is one of the possible resolutions.

For anyone considering the move, I hope these observations are a little help. Without question, take the time to pay a visit. It’s time consuming, but well worth the investment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2006, 04:59 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,842,850 times
Great summary!........

Old 08-30-2006, 05:56 PM

110 posts, read 395,122 times
I agree. Very informed post. It will definitely help others in your shoes. You dont sound biased one way or the other and came with an open mind.

On a personal note, I appreciate you mentioning the congestion and what it might be in the coming years. It is a great concern for many locals here, and when that topic is said by locals to newcomers, the response is almost always, "you dont have it nearly as bad as we do, stop complaining."

Old 08-31-2006, 06:06 AM

58 posts, read 287,078 times
Thanks, my pleasure. I'm a software developer and analyst, so an open mind and thorough investigation have become trademarks of my approach to life...

Old 09-08-2006, 10:25 PM

1,865 posts, read 5,384,478 times
WOW!!! Great summary....you did cover alot of area in your visit!!!

We made 3 trips to Mooresville from NY before deciding on a builder & subdivision. We moved in 2 wks ago & are very pleased with our decision. The west side of I-77 in Mooresville is definitely a bustling area & it's getting bigger. I'd rather just go there to shop. We picked a subdivision on the east side of I-77 on rte 3...a little more laid-back, quiet & homey. Our son (14) just started HS & is adjusting well to his new surroundings...haven't seen him this excited in years!! For schools, I will say the Iredell County schools are better than Mecklenberg county.

Still settling in & unpacking....a few minor tweaks here & there with the house, but nothing major. Phone company messed up our service but that's been taken care of as well. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

GOOD LUCK!!!

BxRosie

Old 09-09-2006, 01:14 PM

139 posts, read 360,721 times
Default Thanks dzrustyfan!

Awesome info, thanks! Anyone out there explored the south area of Charlotte: Matthews/Pineville? Is it an easier commute getting in/out of Charlotte during rush our than from the Mooresville area? Schools? Thanks for your posts!

Old 09-09-2006, 03:49 PM

1,126 posts, read 3,858,783 times
I did. Email was sent to you

Old 09-10-2006, 09:53 PM

483 posts, read 1,569,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoAlley View Post
I did. Email was sent to you
Could you send me the email as well? We're moving to Matthews and wanted to get a good understanding of the commute as well. Thanks!

Old 09-11-2006, 06:30 PM

1,126 posts, read 3,858,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmdj43 View Post
Could you send me the email as well? We're moving to Matthews and wanted to get a good understanding of the commute as well. Thanks!
On Matthews or the lake property?

Old 09-13-2006, 12:10 AM

483 posts, read 1,569,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoAlley View Post
On Matthews or the lake property?

On Matthews. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte