Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 02:53 PM

348 posts, read 430,301 times

Advertisements

Was cleaning out the fish pond today when I noticed something slithering out of the water and up to the rocks lining the pond! Easily 3 feet long, the sucker! As he was coiling himself under the rocks to get away from me, I hear rattling! Ack! He was a beautiful shiny black with yellow rings all the way down from head to tail.

I run in and jump on the web and find my snake--Eastern Kingsnake. Apparently it's good fortune to have 'em around as they eat other bad snakes, like Copperheads, as they are not affected by the venom. They also eat mice and other icky things like that. Looks like if you scare them, they do a rattle to ward of their prey. Common from Southern Jersey down to Florida. And they like to stick to watery areas sometimes, which explains him popping outta my fish pond.

http://www.bio.davidson.edu/projects/herpcons/herps_of_NC/snakes/lamget1.jpg (broken link)

It's much better than the 5 foot rat snake that ran into my garage when I was up in Mecklenberg. There I was, 9 months pregnant slapping the thing silly with a shovel over the head (I didn't kill it, but he sure was dazed). I don't mind 'em outside...but sure as heck don't want them in the house! But my internet research on that one said he also was non-venomous and simply chases rats, mice, etc. Also good to have around and very common. Here he is pictured below:

I don't mind having these guys around as they're doing good work in my yard, and am posting this here so if you guys see either of these two critters you'll know they are non-venomous and mean no harm.

My yard is big enough for all of us!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2007, 02:56 PM

235 posts, read 730,209 times
ohhh you gave me chills.....

Old 08-04-2007, 03:02 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,309,354 times
Ohhhhh...you give those poor snakes the chills too! They are doing only good things for us. Look for their beauty not the ikky!!

Old 08-04-2007, 03:51 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,427,768 times
Nothing wrong with either of those. Due to destruction of wooded areas in Charlotte, you will see more wild reatures in neighborhoods. We are in their territoy, not the other way around.

Old 08-04-2007, 04:03 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,628,401 times
I was playing ball in our back yard with the children when I jumped and landed on a king snake. It ran away and I did too. I know they are good snakes, but I still don't like snakes.

Old 08-04-2007, 04:13 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,001,034 times
I wonder what food source he found around your fish pond?

Old 08-04-2007, 05:17 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,490,650 times
Wow Lisa, welcome to our neighborhood!

We had one in our house!

I have only one more full week of vacation until I start work full time! Yikes!

Dawn

Old 08-04-2007, 08:06 PM

348 posts, read 430,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
I wonder what food source he found around your fish pond?
Well, he's probably got my helpless little fishies to start and I've got a slew of tadoples which are trying to grow up and froggies. Honestly, we've got a myriad of little creatures he's likely dining on here in wonderful Marvin!

LOL!

Old 08-04-2007, 09:52 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,379,501 times
ok so that now freaked me out....

Old 08-06-2007, 11:38 AM

157 posts, read 529,939 times
Those snakes grow to about 6 feet long. B 4 my current location, I stayed at Windsor Landing in Matthews, and me and my wife saw this long black snake with white striping like that crawling to an abandon tree. They are nonpoisonus but i also have an otudppr pond and I am also concerned as well
. I usually stick my hand in the pond to bring my turtle in at nite but I will invest in a net now! LOL

Hey lisa, youre going to scare someone grandma with that closeup too. Next time warn us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte