Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 09:15 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,748,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
So . . . we are to celebrate b/c a company is coming here and using our natural resources but most likely won't hire 1 person who actually already lives here - at least, for the high paying jobs. Maybe they will hire a local security guard or two and some clerical types . . . but the chances are high that no one they hire will be living in Charlotte right now.

Tell me how that helps our high unemployment.

Not impressed.
Question for you. The person that they would hire for your satisfaction, the one who "already lives here", how long would that person have had to have lived here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 09:20 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
Question for you. The person that they would hire for your satisfaction, the one who "already lives here", how long would that person have had to have lived here?
We need jobs for folks who are here now and who are unemployed. We need to lower our unemployment in this region. Anyone who is currently living here and unemployed makes up those statistics, so I don't care if they have been here 50 years or 5 days - if they are statistically part of the unemployed in the Charlotte metro.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:21 PM

84 posts, read 194,544 times
Quote:
So . . . we are to celebrate b/c a company is coming here and using our natural resources but most likely won't hire 1 person who actually already lives here - at least, for the high paying jobs. Maybe they will hire a local security guard or two and some clerical types . . . but the chances are high that no one they hire will be living in Charlotte right now.

Not impressed.
That qualified person that moves to the region will have to buy a house, will pay property and income taxes, probably car taxes. That person and others will also shop at Target, Wal Mart, McDonalds and other local establishments, thus increasing need for people to serve them.

Maybe you'll have a job then.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:27 PM

Quote:
We need jobs for folks who are here now and who are unemployed. We need to lower our unemployment in this region. Anyone who is currently living here and unemployed makes up those statistics, so I don't care if they have been here 50 years or 5 days - if they are statistically part of the unemployed in the Charlotte metro.
This company coming here is not going to help the unemployed factory worker with a high school degree. That's what's primarly driving our rate up so high. Unless you only need a high school diploma to be a nuclear scientist, they can't get these jobs. These are great jobs for the community and these people will be great citizens. The partnership they're forming with UNCC adds an even greater benefit. I hear your point, but I wouldn't turn away a company like this.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:29 PM

116 posts, read 255,625 times
Quote:

Not impressed.
How can you be sure that no "local" person has the necessary skills and education?
Makes no sense to believe that any company would prefer to pay the expense and the risk of bringing non-locals for jobs that locals could do.

You must also admit that these newly hired will pay local taxes, buy local homes, spend their money in local stores and hopefully become active part of local community. And higher the salaries, the more they will spend in the community they live.
Still don't see how this will help local unemployment?

Old 05-31-2011, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severin1 View Post
How can you be sure that no "local" person has the necessary skills and education?
Makes no sense to believe that any company would prefer to pay the expense and the risk of bringing non-locals for jobs that locals could do.

You must also admit that these newly hired will pay local taxes, buy local homes, spend their money in local stores and hopefully become active part of local community. And higher the salaries, the more they will spend in the community they live.
Still don't see how this will help local unemployment?
Exactly, that's a huge assumption that no local people will get these jobs.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickazzz2000 View Post
That qualified person that moves to the region will have to buy a house, will pay property and income taxes, probably car taxes. That person and others will also shop at Target, Wal Mart, McDonalds and other local establishments, thus increasing need for people to serve them.

Maybe you'll have a job then.
This is not about me. I am not unemployed. I have my own business(es).

My point is . . . regardless of the taxes someone may pay who moves here, and the domino effect their discretionary income will do for retail, etc. . . the facts are: we have thousands of folks LIVING HERE NOW (and who cares how long they have lived here!) who NEED A JOB. Many of those people are using up other state resources, from Medicaid to unemployment compensation - plus are losing their standard of living as each month goes by (pressing some into foreclosure, state and local assistance, and bankruptcy).

Better to get the people HERE NOW back to work so they can pay their rent, their mortgages, their taxes - and give up foodstamps, Medicaid, subsidized housing, etc.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:33 PM

Quote:
This is not about me. I am not unemployed. I have my own business(es).

My point is . . . regardless of the taxes someone may pay who moves here, and the domino effect their discretionary income will do for retail, etc. . . the facts are: we have thousands of folks LIVING HERE NOW (and who cares how long they have lived here!) who NEED A JOB. Many of those people are using up other state resources, from Medicaid to unemployment compensation - plus are losing their standard of living as each month goes by (pressing some into foreclosure, state and local assistance, and bankruptcy).

Better to get the people HERE NOW back to work so they can pay their rent, their mortgages, their taxes - and give up foodstamps, Medicaid, subsidized housing, etc.
How do you konw this announcement wont' "get people here back to work"?

Old 05-31-2011, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Exactly, that's a huge assumption that no local people will get these jobs.
No, it is not a huge assumption. It is just a very small observation.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:35 PM

Quote:
How do you konw this announcement wont' "get people here back to work"?
Why do you think it will?

My opinion . . . same as yours, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte