Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 06:29 AM

174 posts, read 486,199 times

Advertisements

Any opinions?

My TWC bill is $128/m, totally basic digital cable with HD channels, fast internet and (the rip off) "digital phone" service.

Windstream promises this bundle for $90/m "for life," but it's satellite TV and DSL Internet, which seem like a "step back" to me.

uVerse, which apparently has a node within spitting distance of our neighborhood, and a connection at the foot of my driveway, but which refuses to offer the actual service to us (for years it's been like this, promises... and then nothing), might give me a competitive rate?

Most important to us is fast, no-problem internet (since we work from home), and TWC has always been that. Do I want to go back to... DSL?

Thoughts?

(Thanks!)

MC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 06:39 AM

1,241 posts, read 2,321,762 times
I have Windstream for Internet and home phone. I have the 12MB for life plan. I have only worked from home once, due to snow, and I didn't have any trouble. I was able to VPN into our work network and remotely connect to servers and users computers without major lag. We have no problem streaming Netflix either.

Old 06-03-2011, 06:58 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,315,040 times
I LOVE U-Verse and will never ever go back to TWC.
As you are aware the performance is location dependent so make sure you are close to the DSLAM.

My speedtests are ~22 mbps down, and ~2.7 mbps up.
In 12+ months I have never been without service.

If I would have to come up with a negative it is that the ATT router's ('2-Wire') wireless range is subpar.
My Apple AirPort gives 2x better range.

Old 06-03-2011, 08:22 AM

1,661 posts, read 3,288,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalfortune View Post

Most important to us is fast, no-problem internet (since we work from home), and TWC has always been that. Do I want to go back to... DSL?

Thoughts?

(Thanks!)

MC
No. AT&T has imposed caps on DSL and Uverse. For DSL, the advertised speed fromm AT&T is "maximum", they only guarantee 50% of that max. Depending upon what you want, it might be cheaper to drop to a-la-cart TWC internet, a DirectTV or Dish package for TV, and going to a 3rd party VoIP provider. VoIP.ms is very cheap and doesn't have any additional fees.

If you are looking for internet speed, TWC has 50M/5M or 30M/5M.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:03 AM

550 posts, read 1,808,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
I LOVE U-Verse and will never ever go back to TWC.
As you are aware the performance is location dependent so make sure you are close to the DSLAM.

My speedtests are ~22 mbps down, and ~2.7 mbps up.
In 12+ months I have never been without service.

If I would have to come up with a negative it is that the ATT router's ('2-Wire') wireless range is subpar.
My Apple AirPort gives 2x better range.
What kind of range are you looking for? I've found that my wireless access with UVerse anywhere in my house is better than what I get via DSL line on the desktop.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:15 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,315,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota4791 View Post
What kind of range are you looking for? I've found that my wireless access with UVerse anywhere in my house is better than what I get via DSL line on the desktop.
In the house the U-Verse router was fine, but my external one works great when I am at the neighbors or walking the dog and want to use my network.

Old 06-03-2011, 11:08 AM

I feel like I stepped on a hornet's nest. Or, stepped into the IT room...

I can't get uVerse here, even tho the nodes are right here. ATT is not selling it to us. (I've been trying to get it for years, literally.) So, I'm afraid that I'm stuck with TWC or this Windstream. And I can't believe that stepping back to DSL, which I had a decade ago, could be faster or more reliable than my lightning fast cable internet.

Splitting "The Bundle" at TWC -- asking them to allow me to please, please have just only a la carte internet and TV -- causes the price of the services to skyrocket, and I'd end up paying the same or more for "less" service. I want to be one of Those People who drop their land-line phone (which, with TWC's "bundle," is actually just VOIP, and I'm paying too much for it).

Does anyone have The Key to getting reasonably priced a la carte services from TWC? Is there a coupon or offer I might be missing? I'd happily pay TWC Windstream's price of $90/m for the two services I need, but they want almost $50 more for the a la carte services.

I know we've discussed this before, and I apologize for beating the dead horse. But I want technology to give me the smart solution the way They said it would. I appreciate everyone's input and suggestions.

MC

Old 06-03-2011, 11:18 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,951,581 times
I dropped the TV services from TWC & my internet is $67/month for whatever their highest speed is. I don't miss the tv one bit.

Old 06-03-2011, 11:51 AM

2,948 posts, read 7,019,456 times
How much tv do you normally watch? Do you use the phone?

If you don't use tv or phone, drop them. If you do use the tv, then you can drop the bundle for tv + internet bundle, but you'll pay a higher "per unit" price for each.

Be mindful of the advertisements for all competitors. While Windstream advertises "for life" the fine print tells a story.

Windstream: Lifetime Price Guarantee Offer Conditions
Quote:
Lifetime Price Guarantee: Covers advertised price only, which includes Unlimited Phone and 6 Mbps High Speed Internet but does not include additional services and equipment or current and future taxes, fees and other charges. Void if customer moves, makes any changes to the services, disconnects or is disconnected by Windstream, or fails to make full payment for service when due. Customer must subscribe to at least one new bundle service.
Do intend to move? Upgrade or downgrade your service? Is 6Mbps a good speed for you?

Next, look at the speed advertised for the cost. DSL could be cheaper, or it might not be. The only way you truly know is by comparing the price for what you're getting.

Old 06-04-2011, 08:23 AM

This is so confusing. Why can't I sell something this confusing that everyone "has" to buy? With lots of small print that gives me plenty of leeway to make outrageous bait-and-switch offers, too.

We don't watch TV all that much, but if I didn't have it then I'd be in big trouble when my wife says, "Let's just veg and watch some TV." And we know the secret to Ooma and VOIP phone, so we know that TWC is completely ripping us off by charging us $40/m for "land line phone service." And... TWC has the very fastest, most trouble-free internet we can get here. (Since AT&T doesn't want to sell uVerse to us.)

It would be stellar if I could actually learn the way to just have fast internet and stream both TV and VOIP phone over that. One service, three appliances. I worry so much that my wife will say, "Let's watch that Food Channel thing, or that HGTV thing, or that true crime channel thing," and if I don't have TWC I won't have those channels.

Can someone teach me this?

MC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: