Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 06:00 PM

45 posts, read 90,405 times

Advertisements

Barrington or Wesley Oaks, which would you choose?

We have spent the last two days running around Union County trying to find a house that would suit our families needs. We have narrowed our search to two properties that we really think would be a great fit for us. If any of you could offer any feedback on either subdivision, that could help sway our decision one way or the other, we would be extremely grateful. If you do not feel comfortable posting publicly here, please direct message me.

We will be transplants from NY with four children ranging in age from 3.5 – 12 years of age. We would love a family friendly neighborhood with an active HOA. Our children enjoy sports and many outdoor activities and look forward to making new friends. Please fill us in on the Good, the Bad and the Ugly of these subdivisions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2011, 06:05 PM

1,661 posts, read 3,288,979 times
Are your job(s) near there?

Old 05-21-2011, 06:26 PM

We will both be working from home.

Old 05-21-2011, 10:10 PM

We'd really appreciate some info back on these subs, we have to return to NY soon.

Old 05-21-2011, 10:48 PM

6 posts, read 8,327 times
HI, we close on a house in Barrington at the end of the month. We are moving from California, maybe we will be your new neighbor.

Old 05-22-2011, 06:11 AM

We are leaning towards Barrington, just wanted some feedback from anyone in the know on the subdivision. We met a lot of people who love Wesley Oaks. We are hoping people feel the same way about Barrington. Maybe we'll meet you at the pool this summer. Congratulations on your new home and good luck with your move.

Old 05-22-2011, 09:27 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,029,147 times
That is an unusual pair geographically and maybe you can give some more details on what is drawing you to those 2 particular communities. These threads tend to get google hits and come up again and again.

I know some families who live in both through kids sports and they are all really nice people... They're very much heavy Northeast transplants. The main thing the 2 communities share is that they are likely to be part of WCWAA (Wesley Chapel Weddington Athletic Association) with their kids. Otherwise it's 2 different school clusters and 2 different amenities you'd typically use for your every day shopping. It's not to say that they're really far apart as you know, just that you'll tend to stick more to the Wesley Chapel / Weddington areas then extend into Indian Trail / Matthews at Wesley Oaks vs. the Waxhaw / Marvin areas then extend into Ballantyne or Arboretum for Barrington. You could do either pretty easily, so I don't want to give an impression it's prohibitive to hit Ballantyne from Wesley Oaks (or vice versa) - just that you'll find it more convenient.

I am partial to Marvin Ridge schools so it's tough for me to be completely fair in my assessment here. Research the schools on your own via the Union County Schools site and/or the NC Report Cards. As far as the houses themselves, I've done much research and I am partial to Shea Homes as a builder... I believe that Centex (since merged with Pulte) built Wesley Oaks. You can do quite a bit of research on both online. Shea's been the only builder in Barrington.

Lastly, Wesley Oaks is mature and I believe done (I haven't driven over there in quite some time) which is a major plus... Shea is still building in Barrington. Wesley Oaks is much larger when you include the Glen and The Estates - probably double the size of Barrington.

Good luck with your choice and please feel free to DM me with any more questions about the area.

Old 05-22-2011, 09:44 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,491,452 times
Pretty much agreeing with everything here. I would personally choose Marvin Ridge over Cuthbertson, but that is my own personal bias.

I live fairly close to Barrington.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
That is an unusual pair geographically and maybe you can give some more details on what is drawing you to those 2 particular communities. These threads tend to get google hits and come up again and again.

I know some families who live in both through kids sports and they are all really nice people... They're very much heavy Northeast transplants. The main thing the 2 communities share is that they are likely to be part of WCWAA (Wesley Chapel Weddington Athletic Association) with their kids. Otherwise it's 2 different school clusters and 2 different amenities you'd typically use for your every day shopping. It's not to say that they're really far apart as you know, just that you'll tend to stick more to the Wesley Chapel / Weddington areas then extend into Indian Trail / Matthews at Wesley Oaks vs. the Waxhaw / Marvin areas then extend into Ballantyne or Arboretum for Barrington. You could do either pretty easily, so I don't want to give an impression it's prohibitive to hit Ballantyne from Wesley Oaks (or vice versa) - just that you'll find it more convenient.

I am partial to Marvin Ridge schools so it's tough for me to be completely fair in my assessment here. Research the schools on your own via the Union County Schools site and/or the NC Report Cards. As far as the houses themselves, I've done much research and I am partial to Shea Homes as a builder... I believe that Centex (since merged with Pulte) built Wesley Oaks. You can do quite a bit of research on both online. Shea's been the only builder in Barrington.

Lastly, Wesley Oaks is mature and I believe done (I haven't driven over there in quite some time) which is a major plus... Shea is still building in Barrington. Wesley Oaks is much larger when you include the Glen and The Estates - probably double the size of Barrington.

Good luck with your choice and please feel free to DM me with any more questions about the area.

Old 05-22-2011, 11:09 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post

You said it best, so I'll just say this - another vote for Barrington

Old 05-23-2011, 12:56 AM

985 posts, read 1,902,093 times
I agree Marvin Ridge has good schools
but
not sure how this may play out...
School system looks toward redistricting | Union County Weekly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte