Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 07:41 AM

1,513 posts, read 3,358,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
I was reading last week, and wish I could find the article, on how many children in CMS are technically 'homeless'.
They move from relative to relative and no one is technically involved in their complete wellbeing.
This is heartbreaking to me.
This is the case even in the "rich" S. Charlotte areas. Very sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2011, 07:41 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
The low performing schools shouldn't have the good principals in order to turn their test scores around.

You shouldn't teach to the test, come up with different methods in order to make sure kids are up to speed with this new fangled "global economy" they'll be running headfirst into once they graduate.

Even if you have an entire week off to find SOME WAY to celebrate Martin Luther King, you cannot have a make up date on that day or else you're branded a racist.

In CMS, the under performing teacher's position is held in far higher regard than the school superintendent. The same teachers that folks took time off to show support when it came to budget cuts during a time of financial crisis, whether they meant to do so or not. To the guy who instituted enough change to help bring a school system's worth of test scores up, I doubt you'll see one picket sign.

It seems to me that if you walk into a massive clusterf**k, you're going to have to be innovative even if it means ruffling a few feathers. Old school, one room classroom methodology ain't doing the trick in 2011.

But hey, when the child fails, the media, the NAACP, or any group who makes their names by pointing fingers, will NEVER point one at the uninvolved parents. They might be more untouchable than the teachers. It's NEVER them. It's always someone else.

The next guy who takes that job is flat out crazy.

You always have such a way with words - makes my heart sing, LOLOL

Old 06-09-2011, 07:43 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
His salary was not out of line at all with his peers' - and anyone lining up will have to have a track record or their resume will be like everyone else's is these days - ending up in a big pile marked "not a match."

Frankly, if I had a Ph.D. in Education and years of experience and service at the administrative level, I wouldn't take on CMS for $500K a year plus bennies. And I would recommend to anyone else that they don't, either, until the system is broken up into smaller units.

As per usual you are 1000% correct

Old 06-09-2011, 07:46 AM

689 posts, read 1,656,084 times
Quote:
+1

We agree on this, but how do we fix it?

I was reading last week, and wish I could find the article, on how many children in CMS are technically 'homeless'.
They move from relative to relative and no one is technically involved in their complete wellbeing.

These are more than likely some of the same underage youth wandering around Speed Street.
There is this group of children that are heartbreaking and causing probems in the schools. Then there are the parents that are there physically, but don't do much with their children.

And then there is the group of parents who have the means and the know-how, but use both of those in ways that do not benefit their children or the school.

All of these groups contribute to the fall of the education system.

Old 06-09-2011, 07:47 AM

569 posts, read 1,409,073 times
I always liked Gorman to be honest. The guy had a no nonsense approach of kicking butt and holding poor performing teachers and schools accountable. His methods were not always the most popular but he took on a nightmare of a school system and always held his ground even when he did not have the popular vote.

Some other poster commented on his salary. I believe he made around 267K which is not enough IMO to take on all of the stress and headaches he put up with at CMS. I honestly can't blame the guy for leaving. He moved onward and upward and he probably realized that he did not want to go down with the sinking ship of CMS. As a product of CMS schools and the "busing" program of Dr. Relic I always appreciate someone that attempts to change the system for the better. He will be missed.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:52 AM

3,320 posts, read 5,565,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Native 1 View Post
I always liked Gorman to be honest. The guy had a no nonsense approach of kicking butt and holding poor performing teachers and schools accountable. His methods were not always the most popular but he took on a nightmare of a school system and always held his ground even when he did not have the popular vote.

Some other poster commented on his salary. I believe he made around 267K which is not enough IMO to take on all of the stress and headaches he put up with at CMS. I honestly can't blame the guy for leaving. He moved onward and upward and he probably realized that he did not want to go down with the sinking ship of CMS. As a product of CMS schools and the "busing" program of Dr. Relic I always appreciate someone that attempts to change the system for the better. He will be missed.
I agree. I think Gorman did a pretty good job. Remember he had to answer to the school board - they made the final decisions.

Unfortunately, with this economy, things cannot continue as they are. CMS wastes too much money in magnet schools, busing and transportation, free lunch for those that should not qualify, etc. School should be about teaching the kids - NOT about trying to make everyone happy. We need to get back to the basics of education.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:02 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,510,953 times
Quote:
+1

We agree on this, but how do we fix it?

These are more than likely some of the same underage youth wandering around Speed Street.

check out:

Homepage

The number of homeless children in local schools is growing. As of June 30, 2010, Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools identified 4,453 identified homeless children enrolled in Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:55 AM

1,969 posts, read 3,595,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmen11 View Post
I've never seen a school district that does not have a Kindergarten graduation for the kids. I guess that would have to be funded by the parents, also.
A bit OT, but I would be thrilled if when we have kids I don't have to deal with kindergarten, or any other random grade change "graduation ceremonies." Graduation ceremonies are designed for the acceptable of an academic degree or diploma. Passing kindergarten, or middle school, ect, shouldn't be considered such a monumentous occasion to require a fake ceremony for them.

As far as Gorman, well, if they didn't have a countywide school system, instead of having a city school district, perhaps a superintendant wouldn't have to be stretched so thin.

Old 06-09-2011, 10:06 AM

2,221 posts, read 4,389,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchief1 View Post
A bit OT, but I would be thrilled if when we have kids I don't have to deal with kindergarten, or any other random grade change "graduation ceremonies." Graduation ceremonies are designed for the acceptable of an academic degree or diploma. Passing kindergarten, or middle school, ect, shouldn't be considered such a monumentous occasion to require a fake ceremony for them.

As far as Gorman, well, if they didn't have a countywide school system, instead of having a city school district, perhaps a superintendant wouldn't have to be stretched so thin.
Totally agree on the kindergarten grad ceremony,makes no sence to me. I have a daughter graduating HS and I almost feel same about HS Graduation, is it really that much of an accomplishment to graduate high school but I do see the benefit as it is definitely the beginning of a new chapter in the HS grads life as they jump into adulthood and an exciting part of their life for many.

Old 06-09-2011, 10:30 AM

1,969 posts, read 3,595,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZnGuy View Post
Totally agree on the kindergarten grad ceremony,makes no sence to me. I have a daughter graduating HS and I almost feel same about HS Graduation, is it really that much of an accomplishment to graduate high school but I do see the benefit as it is definitely the beginning of a new chapter in the HS grads life as they jump into adulthood and an exciting part of their life for many.
I felt that way slightly when i was graduating high school, but it's warranted, because you are actually earning a diploma from high school graduation. Any of those other fake ceremonies are designed to reward children for doing something they should already being doing anyways. Sort of like paying them money to get good grades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte