U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2006, 06:37 AM

2,657 posts, read 7,673,051 times

Advertisements

It's been so long since I sat for my SATs, this is a garble . Still I thought it might be helpful for people looking at schools

http://www.salisburypost.com/area/326123757124561.php (broken link)

http://www.salisburypost.com/area/63382686326762.php (broken link)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2006, 12:03 PM

41 posts, read 140,810 times
I took a peek at the articles.....these scores are NOT GOOD!!!!!! They are quoting the "new scoring" and the "traditional scoring" together. You need to break a total of 1100 (old scoring) to have a college look at you! Yes, tests do not totally measure a schools success of an individual students knowledge, but like it or not you can't get into college with low SAT scores. When I search for that "relocation" place to live, one of the first things I look at is the average SAT scores coming out of the area High Schools. I know last years SAT was changed and has added much more writing and reasoning to the scoring process so scores may be alittle off until that catches up. But not breaking 1,000 combined is a scary thing!!

Old 08-31-2006, 02:17 PM
JAS

582 posts, read 1,927,909 times
Default counties

Make sure you consider it on a school-by-school basis, and not just on the overall county scores. Some schools do a lot better than others in most counties.

Old 08-31-2006, 04:09 PM

1,126 posts, read 3,713,521 times
Your saying they should have 1,000 for all three or 1,000 each? Confused.

http://www.salisburypost.com/temporaryimages/bp57175.jpg (broken link)

Old 09-01-2006, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoAlley View Post
Your saying they should have 1,000 for all three or 1,000 each? Confused.

http://www.salisburypost.com/temporaryimages/bp57175.jpg (broken link)
It used to just be 2 areas: math and reading. Now they have broken up reading into critical reading and writing so there is now 3 areas of test scores. The old way is what I was basing my statement on of not breaking 1,000 not being good. If you look at AL BRown and take the math and one of the reading / writing scores it doesn't look very good. Using the old methods (prior to last year) the target scores of 1100 combined would be good. Since I don't know what the total possible points in each category is I don't know what the new "target" scoring is going to be since you now have 3 categories creating a higher combined number. In the article they bounced around between "new" numbers and "traditional" numbers. I'll have to look at it again. Remember when I'm saying target scoring that is my own way of looking at the stats to start to look at a school's performance. And yes, you do have to look at each school individualy. Also, the percentage of students taking the SAT has a huge bearing on the school. If only 50% are taking the test and the scores are high what is happening to the other 50% of the class?. I'd rather see 90% taking the SAT and the average score be just that...average. That tells me the school is in "college" mode at least.
WEll it is way to late and the insomnia is getting the best of me....Too much stress over when to go and when to stay in joisey... .I'm the poster child for the "sandwich generation"...anyone over the age of a bigger number I care to admit will understand that statment.

Old 09-01-2006, 01:39 PM

Default Charlotte Region SAT scores

To take this thread further in today's Charlotte dot com go to education, and then go to the "regional roundup" and click on "SAT results in Charlotte region". You will see they are breaking it down based on the old math/reading scores and then adding in the new writing scores also. Interesting. A good many schools broke "1,000". As I stated earlier last years test had the new "writing" section added so this test is a whole new frontier

I know here in NJ my 1st grader and 5th grader are being taught to write write write. Communication in writing is very much stressed here knowing that so many of the "upper" grade level tests are adding much more writing about "how you got your answer" instead of just fill in the circle. For instance even on math, they want you to explain how you got the answer. If your numerical answer if off, but your explanation on how to get that answer is correct you will get partial credit for the answer.

o'these times, they are a changin........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>