Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 05:42 AM

26 posts, read 61,907 times

Advertisements

Is it better to deal strictly with a realtor when look for a house rental, or should we also contact a rental management company? I'm wondering if there are rentals available that do not show on multiple listings? One last question...can we contact the sales office of a subdivision to see if they may have rentals? Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 06:53 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,648,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jermm5 View Post
Is it better to deal strictly with a realtor when look for a house rental, or should we also contact a rental management company? I'm wondering if there are rentals available that do not show on multiple listings? One last question...can we contact the sales office of a subdivision to see if they may have rentals? Thanks for your help!
Not too many realtors deal with rental properties, there's just not any money in it. You can deal directly with a property management company yourself. Two of the bigger ones in Charlotte are TR Lawing and Meca. I have never heard of a subdivision sales office dealing with rentals, sorry.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:58 AM

Thank you very much! I will contact those companies.

Old 06-16-2011, 07:55 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,826,996 times
Personally, I would rather deal with the owner of the property. He or she will be able to negotiate if the property has been available for a while or you make a good counteroffer. Sales offices are not rental offices. It seems like they would be a little annoyed by someone with a rental since it could possibly cost them a sale. Just thinking.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:03 AM

277 posts, read 660,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Not too many realtors deal with rental properties, there's just not any money in it. You can deal directly with a property management company yourself. Two of the bigger ones in Charlotte are TR Lawing and Meca. I have never heard of a subdivision sales office dealing with rentals, sorry.
Rental market is heating up due to the housing mess.

My house in Indian Trail was rented after being on MLS for ~ 35 days. I was amazed at the number of showings by the larger realty firms in the area...Keller Williams, Carolinas Metro Realty, Helen Adams, Wilkinson, ect, along with a host of other smaller firms.

In today's market, there appears to be plenty of agents willing to work with a rental client with the hope of generating some sort of income....$200 commission is better than $0.

FYI - TR Lawling and Meca are not the best choices, they have inventory, but not always the best properties.

Good Luck!

Old 06-16-2011, 08:49 AM

We are working with a realtor and she has been helpful with setting appts, etc. My question is...besides realtor.com (which are basically the same rentals she is sending us), where can we find other leads? We will be looking tomorrow and Saturday and hope to secure something.

Old 06-16-2011, 12:10 PM

4,040 posts, read 4,952,336 times
You can check out rentals.com and you can always check out TR. Lawing's website - TR Lawing Realty, Rental Homes Charlotte NC to see if you are interested in any of their properties. Some people use craiglslist to find properties as well. If you are interested in any of TR Lawings you have to make at least 4X the amount of the rent per month.

Old 06-16-2011, 03:58 PM

958 posts, read 1,722,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89quattro View Post
Rental market is heating up due to the housing mess.

My house in Indian Trail was rented after being on MLS for ~ 35 days. I was amazed at the number of showings by the larger realty firms in the area...Keller Williams, Carolinas Metro Realty, Helen Adams, Wilkinson, ect, along with a host of other smaller firms.

In today's market, there appears to be plenty of agents willing to work with a rental client with the hope of generating some sort of income....$200 commission is better than $0.

FYI - TR Lawling and Meca are not the best choices, they have inventory, but not always the best properties.

Good Luck!
Totally false. I hardly know ANY agents who would work rentals and I know a lot of them. What's the point of making $200 (before your firm gets a cut) if you spent $100 on gas and wasted 4 days showings them rentals? This is why most agents don't show rentals. There is no money in it for them.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:42 PM

277 posts, read 660,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USCRugbyNo1 View Post
Totally false. I hardly know ANY agents who would work rentals and I know a lot of them. What's the point of making $200 (before your firm gets a cut) if you spent $100 on gas and wasted 4 days showings them rentals? This is why most agents don't show rentals. There is no money in it for them.

Totally false? Please tell me how you know the exact details of my rental experience...were you hiding in the bushes, keeping track of all the activity?

Suggest you reread my post...I stated how surprised it was to see so much activity.

Another point - I requested that my agent list the property with a commission higher that the standard rate in an effort to generate more interest. He agreed, but in the end, neglected to add it to the listing. Go figure.

My statement regarding TR Lawing and Meca was also on point, as I worked with both firms when I rented a few years ago while building.

Again, my post stated facts related to my experience, so I don't see how you could accuse me of lying. You weren't there.

Meanwhile, I'm a happy guy, income coming in much sooner than expected.

Old 06-16-2011, 07:32 PM

958 posts, read 1,722,945 times
[quote=89quattro;19623994]

This part is totally false.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte