Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 09:07 AM

316 posts, read 395,390 times

Advertisements

I had a builder friend say this to me after we put a "lot hold" on. Okay the schools are overcrowded (but still better than any mecklenburg schools, as a whole) Taxes are going up,( but so are Mecklenburgs, not as high, but they are already high) Realestate is in a big slump everywhere, the water problem sucks (really sucks), They canned (put on hold) a neighborhood that would have brought 1.6 million dollar homes (which helps with everyone elses taxes) and the developer would have built a by pass for the VERY crowded Providence Road.

I really want to move here - but am I making a smart decision? Does anyone see the future of Union? It sounds to me like it will go down hill if the board can't get their stuff together.

These are real worries for me and I really would appreciate some insight from anyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2007, 09:33 AM

174 posts, read 732,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Union county hopeful View Post
I had a builder friend say this to me after we put a "lot hold" on. Okay the schools are overcrowded (but still better than any mecklenburg schools, as a whole) Taxes are going up,( but so are Mecklenburgs, not as high, but they are already high) Realestate is in a big slump everywhere, the water problem sucks (really sucks), They canned (put on hold) a neighborhood that would have brought 1.6 million dollar homes (which helps with everyone elses taxes) and the developer would have built a by pass for the VERY crowded Providence Road.

I really want to move here - but am I making a smart decision? Does anyone see the future of Union? It sounds to me like it will go down hill if the board can't get their stuff together.

These are real worries for me and I really would appreciate some insight from anyone!
Union County has some definate, prevalent infrastructure (sewers, water supply, roads, school facilities) issues that are going to hamper its continued growth. It has always surprised me that Union County has not adopted a 1% sales tax, similar to York County, to fund infrastructure, especially roads, improvements in Union County. I personally serve on the Planning Commission of YC and we have our share of issues, but nowhere near what is coming to fruition in Union County. One trip out New Town Road on a school morning will tell you that something needs to be done.

Old 07-27-2007, 09:59 AM

1,304 posts, read 4,322,293 times
Quote:

There has been too much growth, too fast. I, for one, am happy that we are slowing down and allowing the infrastructure to catch up, even if the direction had to come from the State via stopping sewer permits. I understand that developers and builders make their living by building, building, building - but, honestly, at what point can they look a buyer in the face and tell them that opening another development (even building another road - which would only open up more land to development) is the right thing to do UNTIL we get the water, sewer, schools infrastructure in place...There are plenty of homes available without building more at this time. A slow down is a GOOD thing. I don't think the slow down will be forever, but it is definitely time for us to pause and regroup and gain some perspective of where we are going. This is still a good place to be, just look for an existing home. The lawn will be established and you won't have to water as much...LOL!

Old 07-27-2007, 10:38 AM

1,800 posts, read 5,718,759 times
Bah Humbug!
I just love when people complain about the infrastructure, rising taxes and supposed school overcrowding. Where are you people from??? I'm from New Jersey and having lived in Florida and New York state as well, I can tell you that we're perfectly SPOILED here in Union County!
Every county has it's issues, but if you've already got such a negative take on this area, I've got some great advice: Don't move here!

I agree with Marvinnative, a slow-down in building new homes a very good thing!
I'm not sure any new construction is being approved before a new sewer plant is in the works.

OP: Why would you call yourself a "Union County hopeful" and then name a new thread: "Union County quickly becoming the place not to move"? Sounds like a dichotomy to me!

Old 07-27-2007, 10:59 AM

197 posts, read 735,966 times
I am very happy for the slowdown. There are too many buliders here already. I would be more than happy if everyone moving here from other states went to other counties for a while and let us keep our county more rural.

Old 07-27-2007, 11:42 AM

316 posts, read 395,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaarten View Post
Bah Humbug!
I just love when people complain about the infrastructure, rising taxes and supposed school overcrowding. Where are you people from??? I'm from New Jersey and having lived in Florida and New York state as well, I can tell you that we're perfectly SPOILED here in Union County!
Every county has it's issues, but if you've already got such a negative take on this area, I've got some great advice: Don't move here!

I agree with Marvinnative, a slow-down in building new homes a very good thing!
I'm not sure any new construction is being approved before a new sewer plant is in the works.

OP: Why would you call yourself a "Union County hopeful" and then name a new thread: "Union County quickly becoming the place not to move"? Sounds like a dichotomy to me!

I am really taken back on how rude your comment was. We have a lot hold in UC and maybe I am getting cold feet. This forum has been very helpful to me and all the information I have about UC I got from here. Did you ever stop to think that maybe I just needed a little inside assurance that we were doing the right thing.
How dare you tell me not to move somewhere else - I was born here!

Old 07-27-2007, 12:20 PM

396 posts, read 1,631,165 times
Anytime you move someplace different it takes a leap of faith. No one actually knows what may or may not be around the corner next year. The stock market could crash tomorrow and the entire economy could tank. No one can predict the future and to worry about it will only mean that you will put off enjoying living in Union County until something catastrophic does or doesn't happen. Are you worrying that UC will lose its value or its charm or what? Yes, the market has slowed but the county will continue to be a strong option for people looking for something special away from Charlotte. Go ahead and take the leap of faith!!! I promise you will it love it here.

Old 07-27-2007, 12:22 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,430,380 times
There are too many builders everywhere in this area.

Old 07-27-2007, 12:25 PM

1,800 posts, read 5,718,759 times
Quote:
I am really taken back on how rude your comment was. We have a lot hold in UC and maybe I am getting cold feet. This forum has been very helpful to me and all the information I have about UC I got from here. Did you ever stop to think that maybe I just needed a little inside assurance that we were doing the right thing.
How dare you tell me not to move somewhere else - I was born here!
I'm merely defending the great county of Union. You were bad-mouthing it, and I don't appreciate you calling the place I cherish somewhere NOT to move. I was just as insulted as you were!
BTW, just because you were born in the area does not give you any more right to be degrading.
I've read some of your other posts before and found them helpful, so I was even more surprised at your negative comments.

Old 07-27-2007, 12:29 PM

462 posts, read 1,843,936 times
I too think that putting the builders in a hold pattern is a smart move. If the county is already having problems keeping up with it's current growth than just imagine the situation if they continued to ignore the problems and let the builders continue building like crazy. It would be a mess or a bigger mess. At least they were smart enough to realize that they have a problem to deal with and are starting to keep the builders at bay for a little while. Union County is one of the fastest growing areas in the country so I would use that as a guage as it is not a bad place to move. Obviously everyone, myself included are moving there for a reason. You may just be getting cold feet like you mentioned. Trust me it happens! I know the few weeks prior to my closing I was subconciously finding every negative thing I could get my hands on about the area, the builder the house etc. My wife wanted to strangle me during those weeks as I was bringing her down too. I can tell you everytime I am at my house I could not be happier so I am glad I did not let my cold feet get the best of me. My wife is already in the house and absolutly loves NC and Union County. She already says to me that she would never want to live in NY again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte