Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 06:51 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times

Advertisements

haters wanna hate... lovers wanna love.. lol.

Everyone crying over his pension had the chance to become a cop, teacher, or city worker but you chose a different path. Getting shot at, cursed at and spending every day on edge can't be a fun job.

Enjoy retirement!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2013, 09:47 AM

1 posts, read 1,219 times
[FONT=Verdana]If that bothers you then do what I did. If it still bothers you we all make choices in life; you made yours live with it. I did for 21 years. Not complaining. I belonged to Patrolmen Benevolent Association and the Sergeants Benevolent Association. Yes they are a Union and they advocate for Police and Sergeant Members. Are they all powerful? No. Not every Civil Servant is a lazy good for nothing pensioner. The Military, Police, and Firefighters deserve their pensions, and benefits. Sometimes we never get to collect. Over 30 Police Officers paid with their lives during my time on THE JOB as we refer to it. I knew and worked with a few of these men and woman.[/FONT]

Old 04-02-2013, 05:00 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,759,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjoe711 View Post
If that bothers you then do what I did. If it still bothers you we all make choices in life; you made yours live with it. I did for 21 years. Not complaining. I belonged to Patrolmen Benevolent Association and the Sergeants Benevolent Association. Yes they are a Union and they advocate for Police and Sergeant Members. Are they all powerful? No. Not every Civil Servant is a lazy good for nothing pensioner. The Military, Police, and Firefighters deserve their pensions, and benefits. Sometimes we never get to collect. Over 30 Police Officers paid with their lives during my time on THE JOB as we refer to it. I knew and worked with a few of these men and woman.
Well you can turn that around. Surely you aren't implying that every soldier, cop and fireman deserve by merit because all of them are not lazy good for nothings. A lot are. Probably the same level and maybe more when it comes to corruption.

But if you mean they deserve it because of a promise made to them regardless of actual merit then yes you are correct. But some have merit for conning the system long enough to retire and not get caught versus actually doing a good job.

That's the minority though just like everywhere else.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:38 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,207,489 times
Stockton, CA just filed for Bankruptcy where the average firefighter makes around $130,000.00 a year, 90% pay @ retirement after 20 years and lifetime medical.

Not sustainable and the first of many such bankruptcies to come.

Old 04-03-2013, 11:39 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,697,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
Stockton, CA just filed for Bankruptcy where the average firefighter makes around $130,000.00 a year, 90% pay @ retirement after 20 years and lifetime medical.

The butcher, baker and candlestick maker agree with you. But go tell that to the policeman, fireman, garbageman (in certain cities). Then after you're finished with the city go to the state level. And then IF you have any energy left go to the Federal Gov.

THEN....go to the nearest bar and get drunk. Better than being haul away in a straight jacket.

Old 04-03-2013, 12:01 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,759,335 times
Quote:

We swing to the left, we swing to the right. The Anglicans preach Via Media but who follows it?

Old 04-05-2013, 05:54 PM

557 posts, read 736,322 times
yea and if Stockton defaults see what happens to their bond rating. They will never be able to borrow money again. Stockton as a city will cease to exsist.

The butcher, candlemaker and baker dont fight with crackheads and see dead kids on a daily basis. They dont work holidays, weekends or nights.

Old 04-05-2013, 08:52 PM

22 posts, read 24,987 times
Quote:
and lifetime medical.
I love how people that don't know keep saying civil servants get free medical. As an active NYC Correction Officer with 15 years of service I have to make a contribution towards my "free" medical. Further more when you look at my paystub I have a deduction listed as 20 Yr Health. When I inquired with the pension fund I found out we have to fund our "free" lifetime medical benefits while we're on active payroll status.
Oh BTW our "free" lifetime medical stops at age 62 when we become Medicare eligible. Then NYC takes our "free" lifetime medical and transfers us to a Medicare program.
How's that for "free" lifetime medical?

Now that's been cleared up can't we just all get along?

Old 04-06-2013, 02:45 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,968,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krushmoto View Post
Oh BTW our "free" lifetime medical stops at age 62 when we become Medicare eligible. Then NYC takes our "free" lifetime medical and transfers us to a Medicare program.
How's that for "free" lifetime medical?
Employer health plans are always 2nd in line to pay. So when you become eligible for Medicare it pays first. However Medicare does not pay 100% so I'm guessing that your plan will pick up the differences.

Old 04-06-2013, 03:20 PM

197 posts, read 232,141 times
Vindalo, I was going over some of the posts and saw yours about Jacks corner tap. Looked it up on the net, looks fantastic, my kinda place. I cant wait to go there my next trip down...thanks for the recommend..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte