U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-23-2011, 08:41 PM
 
3 posts, read 4,400 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

So, I'll be moving to Charlotte in a few weeks and I've been scoping out various apartment complexes online. I'll be working at CMC main and would like to find somewhere close, trendy, within walking distance to shops, restaurants, etc. Most importantly, I'd like it to be safe.
I've looked at a couple places, but I wanted to get people's opinions on them. I figured apartmentratings.com is probably laced with angry people who want a soap box, so I'm looking for some honesty.
Here are a couple places I've looked at
1. Camden Dilworth
2. 1420 Magnolia
3. Elizabeth Square
4. Camden Grandview
5. Cielo
6. Eastover Ridge

I'd really appreciate any insight anyone has to offer, or any other places you'd think would be worth looking into.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-23-2011, 08:49 PM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,246 posts, read 94,422,644 times
Reputation: 40085
Quote:
Originally Posted by islndchica View Post
So, I'll be moving to Charlotte in a few weeks and I've been scoping out various apartment complexes online. I'll be working at CMC main and would like to find somewhere close, trendy, within walking distance to shops, restaurants, etc. Most importantly, I'd like it to be safe.
I've looked at a couple places, but I wanted to get people's opinions on them. I figured apartmentratings.com is probably laced with angry people who want a soap box, so I'm looking for some honesty.
Here are a couple places I've looked at
1. Camden Dilworth
2. 1420 Magnolia
3. Elizabeth Square
4. Camden Grandview
5. Cielo
6. Eastover Ridge

I'd really appreciate any insight anyone has to offer, or any other places you'd think would be worth looking into.
Given your priorities I perfer Camden Dilworth and Elizabeth Square for you
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2011, 09:24 PM
 
119 posts, read 226,427 times
Reputation: 103
I would recommend 1420 Magnolia, Camden Dilworth, or Camden Grandview.

1420 is not near downtown, but there is a ton of stuff to walk to in that area, though it is a bit more ofa suburban feel. You would have shopping, dining, drinking, movies, bowling, etc. right across the street at Park Towne Village, Park Road Shopping Center, and the Montford Drive bars and restaurants. 1420 is gated and provides covered parking and the apartments are quite nice.

Camden Dilworth is relatively new and is in a great location around shops, bars, and restaurants in Dilworth. Haven't seen the apartments inside, but this is one of the best neighborhoods in town with plenty to do in walking distance including Freedom Park, which is great.

As far as the apartments themselves go, Camden Grandview would be at the bottom of these three just because of it's age - 12 years or so. Not that they are bad (not that 12 years is old, but I was there about 1.5 years ago and I have to say they were showing some age). The plus here is that the light rail runs right beside the building and you can't beat the views of uptown. Easy access to everything in uptown and SouthEnd via light rail or walking. I wouldn't count this out because of my comments on apartment conditions...they may have been renovated by now.

I think all three of these choices are very safe, though. Good luck!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2011, 09:43 PM
 
3 posts, read 4,400 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Given your priorities I perfer Camden Dilworth and Elizabeth Square for you
Thanks!

I was reading some reviews on Elizabeth Square and people seemed to be complaining about noise and construction in the area. Do you know of anyone who actually lives there? I'm leaning a bit in that direction, but I'm looking for insider info.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2011, 10:49 AM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,246 posts, read 94,422,644 times
Reputation: 40085
Quote:
Originally Posted by islndchica View Post
Thanks!

I was reading some reviews on Elizabeth Square and people seemed to be complaining about noise and construction in the area. Do you know of anyone who actually lives there? I'm leaning a bit in that direction, but I'm looking for insider info.

Sorry, no one I know actually lives there, but they do live near it. There is a bit of construction going on in the area, but it's mostly residential stuff which is quicker to be completed than commercial stuff. People could have also been referring to the freeway noise from Independence Blvd, as it is close by. Some people actually LIKE that kind of background noise, so it's not a problem for everyone. However, if you want a more settled, quiet area I would recommend you go instead with Camden Dilworth. That is a really good location and you'd like all the surrounding places you could walk to, including Freedom Park
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2011, 01:02 PM
 
98 posts, read 319,151 times
Reputation: 21
I will caution you about Camden properties. I've lived at a Camden (not one of the ones you listed) but when you renew your lease their computer system takes supply and demand, as well as length of vacancy, into consideration when determining your new rate. Last year my rent went up $70/month and this year it's going up $90/month!!!! My place would rent to a new tennant for $750/month but because my until is occupied (by me!) my rent will be $798/month

This may not affect your decision but as someone who was VERY surprised by this, I caution you to do some research...good luck!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2011, 02:16 PM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,246 posts, read 94,422,644 times
Reputation: 40085
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Hawk View Post
I will caution you about Camden properties. I've lived at a Camden (not one of the ones you listed) but when you renew your lease their computer system takes supply and demand, as well as length of vacancy, into consideration when determining your new rate. Last year my rent went up $70/month and this year it's going up $90/month!!!! My place would rent to a new tennant for $750/month but because my until is occupied (by me!) my rent will be $798/month

This may not affect your decision but as someone who was VERY surprised by this, I caution you to do some research...good luck!

Good apts are in high demand right now and occupancy rates for all apts really high, so unfortunately this happens at a lot of complexes!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2011, 04:53 PM
 
Location: metro ATL
8,190 posts, read 13,472,447 times
Reputation: 2698
Camden Dilworth would be my #1 option. Heck, if I could afford it, I'd live there even if I worked out in the suburbs. The location is great.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2011, 11:12 AM
 
150 posts, read 301,115 times
Reputation: 189
I hope you are going to be a brain surgeon at CMC main, because these places aren't cheap.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2011, 11:55 AM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,246 posts, read 94,422,644 times
Reputation: 40085
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrm View Post
I hope you are going to be a brain surgeon at CMC main, because these places aren't cheap.
Prices start at about $950. And no, that's not "cheap", but it's far from extremely expensive either. You could be a nurse and afford that.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top