U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2011, 06:05 AM

35,883 posts, read 71,548,112 times

Advertisements

Charlotte thugs seem to pick on the vulnerable - women with children in parking lots and seniors at home.

Man Accused Of Targeting Seniors In Southeast Charlotte Burglaries - News Story - WSOC Charlotte

My point with posting this is to ask for everyone to consider checking on the seniors in your neighborhood.

The first gentleman targeted said the thug got in a window by using a ladder. This is not uncommon! Never leave a ladder horizontaly placed n the bushes on the side of the house. I have seen folks do this many times, as removing a ladder can be quite a challenge for seniors. Check to see if one of your neighbors needs help with removing a ladder.

The article did not relay how the thug got into the second victim's house. Did she have a door unlocked? Remind the seniors in your community to KEEP THEIR DOORS LOCKED during the day. Also, check to see if they have downstairs windows open, something that would be common if a person has no A/C.

The woman said she threatened the thug after she found him in her home by telling him she had a .22 on top of the fridge (and reached for it). I am not one to advocate having loaded handguns around the house (b/c most homes have children in and out) . . . but for an elderly person . . . that might not be such a bad idea.

My widowed grandmother kept 2 loaded shotguns in her house. Good thing. Two thugs tried to break in her home one evening around dusk. The whole neighborhood was on site w/in moments once she let off a barrage of fire out the back door.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 06:16 AM

8,402 posts, read 22,236,890 times
All thugs prey on the vulnerable. That's part of what makes them thugs. From their point of view it makes perfect sense. For the same reasons, hunting animals go after the young, old, and sick prey. It's just easier.

The difference is that animals can't get a job, earn money, and actually pay their way in society.

Too bad your grandmother missed.

One of my best friends says his wife wants to get a gun. She is the last person I would have thought would want a gun, mainly because she has a lot of fear. But I told him that they need to go to a range, learn the right way to handle a gun, try a couple out, and go from there. This should be interesting.

Old 06-29-2011, 06:58 AM

35,883 posts, read 71,548,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
All thugs prey on the vulnerable. That's part of what makes them thugs. From their point of view it makes perfect sense. For the same reasons, hunting animals go after the young, old, and sick prey. It's just easier.

The difference is that animals can't get a job, earn money, and actually pay their way in society.

Too bad your grandmother missed.

One of my best friends says his wife wants to get a gun. She is the last person I would have thought would want a gun, mainly because she has a lot of fear. But I told him that they need to go to a range, learn the right way to handle a gun, try a couple out, and go from there. This should be interesting.
Absolutely - learn how to handle firearms if you are gonna own them.

My grandma was a great shot. She was an adult by the Depression and knew how to go out and snag (and dress) a rabbit for dinner, if necessary (hunted with her brothers). Her hubby was retired military (Navy).

I grew up around firearms and was taught to respect them and how to use them at an early age. Of course, my grandparents had a farm (cotton) . . . and having shotguns and rifles - deer hunting and rabid dogs/foxes! - was an accepted part of farm equipment, lol.

I agree with your message 100% - don't own a firearm unless you truly know how to use it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte