Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2006, 05:34 PM

295 posts, read 1,298,326 times

Advertisements

Just curious what everyone has been able to use while looking for available houses. My first preference would be to buy a newly built home, but it seems like you can get a lot more house for the money with relatively new existing homes.

I'm looking in the $350-450ish range, although I'd clearly be happier if the number starts with a 3. I've tried Realtor.com and it just isn't very exact. I'd like to be able to save and leave comments for myself online but not sure if something exists like that.

I'm waiting for my house in upstate NY to sell, so there's no telling how long that will be. I'd like to do some better searching in the mean time.

Thanks.

Old 09-02-2006, 05:39 PM

336 posts, read 513,805 times
You can save properties that you like on realtor.com if you sign up for an account. I am not sure about saving comments though. Allen Tate is the biggest realty company in the carolinas and their website sometimes has more pictures than realtor.com, but I am not sure if they allow you to save anything. Remax now lists all properties from the mls on their website too, but I am also not sure about saving comments there either.

Old 09-03-2006, 07:49 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,039,320 times
Hi

I have a friend who relocated from buffalo, her family still lives there, so she goes back often. Of course, she loves not having to shovel show any longer!

Anyhow, back to real estate. I am an agent, so I don't use the search engines, but I have heard people say they like homes.com You do have to register on that one as well. I don't know if they have a space for you to make comments on the houses, but you can save the houses you like.

For my own of town clients, I set something up in the MLS system that automatically emails them new listings matching their criteria (4 bedrooms. 2 car garage, etc) as well as location. I think most of my buyer's have just printed out the ones they liked and made notes.

I know that is not much help, but it is the best I can do!!!!

Leigh

Old 09-03-2006, 06:10 PM

348 posts, read 430,782 times
the realtors aroung here use the local mls service. You can visit it by going to (broken link)

Last edited by Yac; 09-04-2006 at 02:25 PM..

Old 09-03-2006, 09:32 PM

295 posts, read 1,298,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighbhe View Post
Hi

I have a friend who relocated from buffalo, her family still lives there, so she goes back often. Of course, she loves not having to shovel show any longer!

Anyhow, back to real estate. I am an agent, so I don't use the search engines, but I have heard people say they like homes.com You do have to register on that one as well. I don't know if they have a space for you to make comments on the houses, but you can save the houses you like.

For my own of town clients, I set something up in the MLS system that automatically emails them new listings matching their criteria (4 bedrooms. 2 car garage, etc) as well as location. I think most of my buyer's have just printed out the ones they liked and made notes.

I know that is not much help, but it is the best I can do!!!!

Leigh
Thanks Leigh, and everyone else. I guess I figured there might be some more intuitive sites than Realtor.com. I knew it allowed you to save, but its searches leave something to be desired. For instance, if I tried to search for only homes with waterfront (which is an option on their search listings) it would still give me hundreds of homes that were not waterfront. Same deal if I was looking for a minimum 3-car garage, minimum lot size, etc. It allows that as a search, but then gives you results that do not fully screen what you are looking for.

For a guy like me, who is actually more concerned about the home, the lot, & the amenities than I am strictly about location, its been frustrating to use.

I actually spent a day in the field with a realtor that sold my family their house a few years ago and she seemed great. Unfortunately her follow up and search assistance has been seriously suffering ever since then and I haven't had the heart to tell her to take a hike yet - so in the mean time I'm basically searching for myself.

The other part of that is, like pretty much everyone else, I'm selling my home and don't feel like I can really turn up the heat on my search in the Charlotte area until I sell (or at least accept the offer).

Thanks again. I've heard I'll probably find a lot of people from Buffalo, Rochester, and the Finger Lakes area once I move - but I'll also try to keep an eye out for a genuine southern belle once I get down there for good (do they still exist in Charlotte?)

Old 09-03-2006, 10:05 PM
HDL

3,216 posts, read 6,790,342 times
Hi,

I consider it the best kept secret ever, but I absolutely love the Home Buyers Scouting Report () (broken link). Good news, bad news though. You can only access it through a RE agent or a loan company that pays for the service. Going directly to the site won't get you in :-(

I have been using the service for over 3 yrs with great results. I am able to bring up homes in my price range and search criteria. I am able to change the criteria as I see fit. I see new homes as soon as they hit MLS. I can also track the homes with comments like you asked. If the house goes under contract, the price increases or decreases, gets sold or is just taken off the market, I am notified. It also has pictures (if available) and will map the location of the home.

I used this service in South Carolina through a realtor there, then again in Portland,OR and finally in Boise,ID. I still use it to keep track of the market. I guess you can say I am as hooked on it, as I am on this forum :-)

If you don't wish to be beholden to a real estate agent yet, you can ask around to see if any of the loan companies have the service available to them. This service is free to the buyer and there is no obligation to use the lender who prequalifies you first before being allowed access.

Feel free to PM me if you would like additional information. I have searched and searched and have never found anything as good as eHBSR. I only wish they would get more press so other would see how great they are!

Best wishes to you all and Happy Labor Day!!!!

Last edited by Yac; 09-04-2006 at 02:25 PM.. Reason: fixing spelling

Old 09-04-2006, 11:34 AM

2,314 posts, read 2,838,500 times
Your realtor should also be able to set up a client gateway for you(assuming you are using one). They can setup your initial search and if anything changes you get an email.

I can set one up for you if you like drop me a PM and I'll be more than happy to help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte