Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 09:50 PM

35 posts, read 60,483 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are considering the move. I am 40 and work in IT, my wife is 38, no kids yet, but working on it.

Would love to hear how things are going for you since the move. thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 04:38 AM

1,177 posts, read 2,242,387 times
Some days it seems like 90% of the people I encounter in Huntersville, Cornelius, & Mooresville are from NYC! I'm not from NY or NYC, but here's a brief summary of my experiences with NY/NYC transplants: They love NY/NYC. They love everything about it. They just don't want to live there anymore. They also love the Charlotte area but complain about it constantly. Not sure I get it...

Anyway, do a forum search and you'll find what you are looking for.

Old 07-21-2011, 07:02 AM

1,969 posts, read 3,601,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amploud View Post
Some days it seems like 90% of the people I encounter in Huntersville, Cornelius, & Mooresville are from NYC! I'm not from NY or NYC, but here's a brief summary of my experiences with NY/NYC transplants: They love NY/NYC. They love everything about it. They just don't want to live there anymore. They also love the Charlotte area but complain about it constantly. Not sure I get it...

The other 10% you meet are from NJ

Old 07-21-2011, 08:26 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,718,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amploud View Post

Me thinks they would still live in NY if they could afford it. All the other BS about rude, dirty, crime, crowded, and on and on, are all "justification for their move". Makes their head feel better to leave and knock it.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:03 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,669,678 times
I lived in NYC briefly.... about 2 years in Brooklyn and I also lived in Philly for 5 years.

I'm not a native of either city but most people I've met in Charlotte from NYC love the city but hate the taxes, congestion and NYC rat race...

My wife loves NYC and would move back in a heartbeat if we could afford it. I miss the big city atmosphere and the energy but love the money I'm able to save and the space I can get with $7oo dollars a month.

The one problem I have with New Yorkers who live here is the constant reminder of where they are from.... there are no corner stores, slices or deli's. Shut up about it already! LOL

Old 07-21-2011, 10:56 AM

35 posts, read 60,483 times
good stuff guys. thanks

I'll be the first to say that there is no other place like NY (the 5 boroughs mainly...and definitely nothing like Manhattan). But there are places similar to Long Island (where i am now). And definitely similar places to the rest of NY (Westchester/Upstate). I for one am not a big fan of Manhatten but I do like knowing that I can go there anytime I want and its an hour away. I don't get into the 5 boroughs much anymore unless its to visit friends or family, but I also like the felling of knowing I can get there in under an hour. NY has a personality that is unlike most (Philly, Chicago are close). Some of it is good, some of it bad. I've seen enough of NC to know that on certain levels it cannot compete with NY and I am prepared (at least I think I am) to give some of those things up.

I live in a small house with no land and even with my good salary I have no money in my pocket at the end of the month to do much of anything. So that's the trade off. I would have a good 10-20% (or more) of my income based on my calculations and the job offers I received. So from a dollar perspective , its pretty significant. The winters seem to be getting worse and worse here. I'm ready to trade 5 months of miserable cold for 2 months of miserable heat.

Im a very realistic person who is doing much Homework. If I make the move, the last thing I plan on doing is walking around complaining about it.

Old 07-21-2011, 12:15 PM

716 posts, read 1,546,316 times
Everyone is from NYC because wasn't that the only port of entry into the US over the past century? Didn't everyone's grandparents/great grandparents sail into Ellis Island when migrating into this country? Once they got to Ellis Island then they were free to go wherever they wanted too, lots stayed in the NYC area and lots decided to move elsewhere. I wonder if most southern natives great grandparents sailed into Ellis Island as well?

Old 07-21-2011, 12:21 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,731,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteCharlotte View Post
Everyone is from NYC because wasn't that the only port of entry into the US over the past century? Didn't everyone's grandparents/great grandparents sail into Ellis Island when migrating into this country? Once they got to Ellis Island then they were free to go wherever they wanted too, lots stayed in the NYC area and lots decided to move elsewhere. I wonder if most southern natives great grandparents sailed into Ellis Island as well?

There were many ports of entry. Most of the Scotch-Irish & Germanic settlers in the Piedmont came down The Philadelphia Wagon Road after arriving in, or being 1st or 2nd generation, living in the Philadelphia area, in colonial times.

Old 07-21-2011, 12:31 PM

149 posts, read 260,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsd View Post
anyone move from NY (LI or 5 Boroughs) to any cities near/around Charlotte?
lol I think everyone has.

Old 07-21-2011, 12:43 PM

38 posts, read 79,086 times
I seem to recall the first Spanish settlement being in Florida in 1565 and the first English settlement being in Jamestown Virginia in 1607. The Dutch didn't settle in what is now the NY area until 1609. Ellis Island was not even an "immigration station" until 1892. I'm sure a lot of present day ancestory began during that 300 year span.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte