U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 09:09 PM

5 posts, read 41,536 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone..could someone tell me the best path to get from Matthews to the blue ridge parkway? I have found maps of the blue ridge parkway..and maps of Charlotte (and the area I will be staying in)..but I can't get clear directions to get to the parkway..how far away it is (time wise) ..etc. I know you can get on the parkway at alot of different entrances..and it is long..so there are many options..but I'm trying to get a time estimate / this is the best route to get onto the parkway.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2007, 09:22 PM

3,361 posts, read 9,445,360 times
Last fall I drove to Blocking Rock took approx 2 hours so drove from Blowing Rock to Cheerokee some 169 miles on the parkway.

That was 85 to 321

Old 08-10-2007, 10:02 PM
NCN

21,148 posts, read 23,838,156 times
The Blue Ridge Parkway is more than 450 miles long, where do you want to go on the "scenic." Just added that. The "scenic" is what the locals call the Blue Ridge Parkway.

485 to (when you get to 77 just stay on 485 and go under 77 and you will run into 85) 85 to 321 to Blowing Rock--probably the closest, should be less than 3 hours
I-77 to 421 and Boone, somewhere around 3 hours
I-77 to I-40 to 321 to Blowing Rock, around 3 to 4 hours
I-77 to Fancy Gap, Virginia to Parkway and go North to Mabry Mill area, about 4 hours
I-77 to Exit 65, 901 to 115 to 421 to 16 to Glendale Springs, 2 to 3 hours

For a day trip we like to go out 485 to 85 to 321 and get on the Parkway going North. (this will not include the via duct) Pizza Hut is just off the Parkway in Blowing Rock. There are other good places to eat also.
We go North until we get to Fancy Gap, Virginia (if time permits we sometimes go on to Mabry Mill and the back track to Fancy Gap) get on I-77 and come off the mountain. We like this way because there are four lanes and you don't have to use your brakes so much.

There is a nice park right off the Parkway at Blowing Rock and a lot of overlooks if you want to take a picnic lunch. Don't sit down on anything you haven't looked under. I don't want to scare you, but stay in the clearing. Snakes shed this time of year or maybe just a little bit later and they strike first and ask questions later. Don't let this keep you from going, the park is well kept. Just don't roam off the paths.

This trip that we take does not go to the higher elevations. We like that. We enjoy the scenery but we don't get "white knuckles." It is just a pleasant trip. Don't miss the wildcat rock at Doughton Park. There is a nice coffee shop there too. And a picnic area. Turn at the Northwest Trading Post toward Glendale Springs and you can visit the church there that has the Lord's Supper Art. Right before you get to Highway 16 there is a nice little walk to take at Cascade Trails. There is a restroom there too, but you probably know that if you have a Parkway guide. Actually you will get to Cascade Trails first, Glendale Springs second and Doughton Park third. The Northwest Trading Post also has a restroom and really good cookies and a drink machine.

The higher elevations are between Boone and Asheville.

P. S. I think we drive slower than flyingscotsman.

Last edited by NCN; 08-10-2007 at 10:27 PM..

Old 08-11-2007, 12:01 AM

45,246 posts, read 94,894,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchenckM View Post
Hi everyone..could someone tell me the best path to get from Matthews to the blue ridge parkway? I have found maps of the blue ridge parkway..and maps of Charlotte (and the area I will be staying in)..but I can't get clear directions to get to the parkway..how far away it is (time wise) ..etc. I know you can get on the parkway at alot of different entrances..and it is long..so there are many options..but I'm trying to get a time estimate / this is the best route to get onto the parkway.
The shortest, most direct way to the Blue Ridge Parkway is to go straight up I 77 toward the Virginia state line. Take exit 8 just over the state line and you will be on the parkway shortly, just follow the signs. This trip takes right at 2 hours from uptown Charlotte.

You can then travel north on the Parkway to visit Mabry Mill or Meadows of Dan, or go south on the parkway to see Doughton Park. On the way there be sure to stop and visit the Blue Ridge Music Center - live music there every weekend April thru September

Old 08-11-2007, 12:10 AM

45,246 posts, read 94,894,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscotsman View Post
Last fall I drove to Blocking Rock took approx 2 hours so drove from Blowing Rock to Cheerokee some 169 miles on the parkway.

That was 85 to 321
Did you start in Gastonia, lol??? 2 hours from Charlotte to Blowing Rock is a bit difficult without really speeding! Most people tend to need at LEAST 2.5 hours, if not a bit more!

Old 08-11-2007, 06:31 AM

3,361 posts, read 9,445,360 times
Start 100 Providence Square Dr
Charlotte, NC 28270

End Blowing Rock, NC

Travel 107 mi – about 2 hours 12 mins

as per google maps, from where I was living at the time, so I guess I was speeding a little bit.

Old 08-11-2007, 05:22 PM

3,574 posts, read 13,778,378 times
'course, the 321N highway to Blowing Rock is being widened on this side of Blowing Rock(from Hickory), so the better way is I77N to HWY421N or I-77N to I-40W to HWY115N to N Wilkesboro to HWY321 into Boone(at least 2 entrance ramps along the way into Boone) then to Blowing Rock, where there are also two. It's the "back way" and goes through the northern part of Iredell County into Wilkes into Watauga. Still unspoiled.... It can give perspective why we love our mountains so much and want to protect them. The Parkway is absolutely beautiful, but do not expect to go very fast. But, that's the point, yes? Enjoy!

Old 08-12-2007, 08:43 PM
NCN

21,148 posts, read 23,838,156 times
It was really fun living just a few miles from the "scenic." We used to go home after church and have a quick lunch or pack a picnic lunch and take the 1/2 hour drive to the "scenic." The temperature was usually from 10 to 20 degrees cooler on the parkway than it was where we lived at the bottom of the hill. If you are a person who gets cold, it may be a good idea to take a sweater along.

We are going to the Peaks of Otter for lunch one day this week. That will be up I-77 to Fancy Gap then North on the Parkway to the Peaks of Otter stop. People who want to stay at the lodges at Doughton Park or the Peaks of Otter will probably need to reserve their rooms well in advance. I'm sure the Blue Ridge Parkway has a website where you can check on housing. I know the library has several books about touring the Parkway with towns listed for hotels and motels along the way. Have fun! I am so looking forward to this little trip.

mm_mary73--I used to drive 115 from Wilkesboro to where I worked in Statesville five days a week. That first 10 miles out of Statesville used to be really curvy. Is it still that way. As you probably saw in my post, we now take I-77 to exit 65 and turn left at the end of the ramp onto 901. Highway 901 ends at Highway 115 then we turn right onto 115 and go on to Highway 421.

Old 08-12-2007, 09:12 PM

5 posts, read 41,536 times
Default Thanks

Thanks for the direction and even the complete day trip with info to do along the way. I am visiting Charlotte from Ft Pierce Fl and will be here today through Friday morning..looking at downtown, meeting a friend of my wife...speaking to a relator or two (to look at some areas and what the market is like) and hopefully getting in a trip to the blue ridge!

Old 08-13-2007, 06:45 PM

3,574 posts, read 13,778,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Carolina Native View Post
.....mm_mary73--I used to drive 115 from Wilkesboro to where I worked in Statesville five days a week. That first 10 miles out of Statesville used to be really curvy. Is it still that way. As you probably saw in my post, we now take I-77 to exit 65 and turn left at the end of the ramp onto 901. Highway 901 ends at Highway 115 then we turn right onto 115 and go on to Highway 421.
Yes, still is puts hair on the chest, and I'm a girl! LOL Kinda gives a person new respect for the men running 'shine in the old days.
The only time I get nervous is fall, just about dusk, when the deer forget that it isn't all woods - I slow down big time. I'd definitely lose the deer v. car competition.

901 to 115 is still good, but not as exciting The ride up the mountain is the same, as you know, but it's an easier drive into Boone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte