U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2007, 06:21 PM

25 posts, read 88,049 times

Advertisements

We will be closing on our house in Providence Pointe on August 31st. We moved fast on the negotiation process, did it yesterday and close in 3 weeks.

The house was on the market for 8 months and I think there are two main reasons for that...

1) Horrible yard!!! Absolutely no landscaping.

2) Empty lot behind the property with an abandoned shack that is some what of an eye sore.

We can do something about the landscaping and are still working out the details on possibly moving forward with tearing down the abandoned shack/barn, once we hear back from owner of the empty lot.

My question is... does anyone know what it would take and who would you suggest to get this yard looking fabulous???

We are looking to spend around $2,000 - $7,000. Right now, due to the heat and lack of rain, there is no grass.

Long term we want to do some sort of outdoor living area - stone patio w/ fire pit and built in grill. But we aren't ready for that yet. We just want something decent for a few years. We do have dogs and will mostly need grass in the back.

Any help will be appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2007, 10:16 PM

9,115 posts, read 16,635,334 times
tahoe- Personally I would start getting quotes from landscape designers pretty soon. You never know how busy they are and the fall will be here before you know it.

just curious, why did you "move fast" to close? Hopefully you negotiated and got a very good deal.

Old 08-11-2007, 10:49 PM

3,662 posts, read 9,094,836 times
how many acres?

Old 08-12-2007, 12:48 PM

396 posts, read 1,554,737 times
I'm so glad that someone asked this question this week as we just met and dealt with absolutely the nicest landscaper. Our house was vacant for over a year when we moved in and we have needed serious help. Ed from Green Earth Landscaping is a super nice guy who gave us very good advice and a very reasonable price. Our yard is on a six month plan to get it back in shape. We didn't feel any pressure from him to do un-needed stuff....in fact he talked us out of a couple of things that we thought we needed to do. He's doing everything from ripping out and re-planting, pruning, trees, mulch...everything. Plus since he's a native he was filled with very interesting information about the plants that we have growing everywhere that we've never seen before on the west coast. I'd recommend him. Please PM me if you'd like his direct number. Good luck.

Old 08-12-2007, 04:47 PM

25 posts, read 88,049 times
We moved fast b/c we offered $30,000 less than the asking price so the incentive for the seller was that we were closing by end of the month.

The lot is only 0.20 of an acre, so we're not looking at a HUGE project.

Old 08-12-2007, 11:33 PM

3,662 posts, read 9,094,836 times
I know where you can get A+ tall fescue sod at $160 a pallet, which covers 500 sqft. You're coming up on September, which will be the perfect time to sod your yard. At .20 acres, my guess is you're looking at 2-3 pallets. You can do it yourself, we did and my yard is one of the best in the neighborhood. Not bragging, but it sure is pretty, even in August.

Check it out--there in Pineville and can deliver for a little more money: Super-Sod Local Grass Sod and Grass Seed Sales in Charlotte, NC

Old 09-04-2008, 03:53 PM

19 posts, read 55,317 times
you should decide what areas of your yard you find the most problematic. from my experience, I would not spread out the money too far..rather than concentrate it in one place..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte